Raffles!

Connect with Promise Walk coordinators and volunteers to share ideas, ask questions, and learn how to host or participate in a Walk in your area!

Raffles!

Postby aimeejane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 01:07 pm

Kalen and I went & signed the contract for the walk site today, and I happened to mention that I assumed raffles were unacceptable (gambling, etc.), and she said no! Since we've been approved for a fundraising event, things like raffles, silent auctions, etc. are perfectly legit. Yay!

So, the lesson here is, don't assume! (Like I did.) Make sure you ask if you don't know for sure already.

Now I actually have something to do with these neat things people are donating... So, what kind of things are folks getting in donations? It might be a good idea to share here; maybe one of us has thought of someone to approach that the others haven't.

So far, we've had pledged:

Gift Certificate to the Container Store
Two gift certificates to a family photographer
Ticket/memorabilia package from our minor league hockey team (Go Gladiators!)

We're also hoping for gift baskets from a popular local whole grain bakery & perhaps a baby store. Oh, and the Braves, if I ever re-connect with them!

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator
Moderator - Pregnant Again

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
aimeejane

Re : Raffles!

Postby jillmushet » Wed Apr 06, 2005 02:26 pm

Awesome give-aways!

We have something coming from the AZ D-backs. Haven't received word on what it is.

How are you going to raffle them off? Everyone who shows up is in the drawing? Sell tickets?

Jill
Claire, 34wks, 3lbs 3ozs
3/3/00, PE & HELLP
jillmushet

Postby molly419 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 03:39 pm

You guys got some great donations!

We have a pack of baseball tickets and a signed baseball. I was thinking of having them seperate, and selling raffle tickets for $1 each...do you think this is two low? I do like the idea of that everyone that shows up is in the drawing, but if we sell tickets, its more money to the foundation.

Molly(23)
Abigail (13 months) born at 25 weeks, 1lb 1oz. due to preeclampsia and HELLP
molly419

Postby carolh » Wed Apr 06, 2005 07:59 pm

We've been trying to figure out how best to raffle off our donated items as well. I still have to call our state AG's office to verify that we can do this. But we have many items to use to help raise more money and have more potentials coming:

gift certificate - children's specialty toy store
baby themed gift basket - children's speciality toy store
kids songs cassette tape - children's toy and apparel store
gift certifcate and gift basket - local hair salon
signed baseball and ticket pkgs - Detroit Tigers
U-M sweatshirt - local college apparel store
dessert & coffee for 4 - local upscale restaurant
gift certificate - upscale children's clothing store
estate planning services (valued at $800) - from atty friend
coupons & gift certificates - local running store (Running Fit)
Mary Kay cosmetics gifts - from local sales rep
gift basket - Trader Joe's store
gold pendant valued at $600 - from a local jeweler - if I actually get this I may send it to Jaime for the auction at the November MN fundraiser since it will bring in more money there.

My thought was to give everyone 1 raffle ticket with their tshirt and then sell additional raffle tickets for $1 (not sure we could sell many for much more than that). We've heard the idea about having a jar in front of each item and having people put their tickets in the jar for the items that they're intersted in. I like that people can choose which items they really want but wonder if that will potentially decrease the amt of tickets they would buy since their chances of winning would be increased because of the smaller amt of tickets in each jar.

Would love to hear more ideas!

Carol Hamilton, Pharm.D.
Michigan Coordinator
National Group Coordinator
Ann Arbor
carolh

Postby jillmushet » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:05 pm

Carol- You have so many items(good going!)perhaps a mixture of all of the methods you mentioned would work. Do some giveaways before, some after...

Maybe in your remarks, you could talk about how the PF got started. Do we have an official PF "established" date? The person(s) whose birthday is closest to that day wins a trinket(s). You know, fun stuff like that. It might work with the 50-75 person crowd you are expecting.

Jill
Claire, 34wks, 3lbs 3ozs
3/3/00, PE & HELLP
jillmushet

Postby mom2tori » Thu Apr 07, 2005 05:54 am

Congratulations you guys!!! You have some awesome stuff to giveaway and I applaud you and the companies that have donated-congratulations!

Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97 @ 28 weeks
Victoria 1/8/02 @ 30 weeks
mom2tori

Postby carolh » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:54 am

Complicating news!

I finally contacted the State of Michigan Bureau of Lottery and have been told (and read on their website) that as a nonprofit organization we need to have a gaming license in order to conduct the raffle at the Walk-A-Thon! The process to even qualify is quite extensive and depends on how our national bylaws are written as to whether we'd be allowed to apply for a license.

During our WAT conference call others said that they ran into this problem in their state too......all of us wanting to do a raffle need to check with their state office to determine your rules.

Has anyone run into this before and are there other creative ways to put these donated items to use for our organization?

Carol Hamilton, Pharm.D.
Michigan Coordinator
National Group Coordinator
Ann Arbor
carolh

Postby grace04 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 06:09 pm

Carol,

I would recommend putting everyone's name into a drawing (allowing for "equal chance") and then just asking for a donation for the ticket. That way you are not doing a raffle. A raffle is usually defined as an event in which you can only win if you "buy in." If you just enter everyone's name and say you are accepting donations, then you won't need to worry about applying for a gambling license.

Jaime Nolan
Administrative Director
Minnesota Coordinator
National Event Coordinator

DH Joe
Parents of Grace Ann
2/22/04-3/2/04 (born @ 27 weeks severe Pre E)
grace04

Return to The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia