New/Reply FAQ Members Login

?'s about anti-depressants

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Re : ?'s about anti-depressants

Postby madeleine » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:23 am

Hi you guys,
I guess I'm just looking for reassurance -- is anybody b-feeding and on antidepressants? I just started taking zoloft and my dr. obviously is okay with it, research says it's "okay" but I still am having pangs of guilt. Any experience with this? Symptoms I need to watch out for with the baby? I hope it helps me soon, but not if she's going to be sleepy, constipated, whatever....

thanks

Madeleine

Miles 9/13/90
Graham 1/6/92
Benjamin 5/22/02, severe preeclampsia, 33 weeks
Fiona 4/19/05, 37 weeks,PIH, bedrest for two months
madeleine

Postby sandy » Sat Jun 25, 2005 01:07 pm

Hi,
I started taking Zoloft about 2 weeks ago and I am b'feeding. I don't know if you've seen any of my posts from my pregnancies here, but I've been pretty anal about what meds and other supplements could do to my developing baby...

Even so, I can't believe I'm taking Zoloft and don't have any pangs of guilt or concern about what it could be doing through the breastmilk. :)

I have a wonderful lactation consultant who I ran this by and she said that very, very little of the Zoloft shows up in b'milk. Furthermore, my baby has not had any behavioral changes so far (I'd welcome a little more sleepy, though!), and because the Zoloft is so helpful for helping me feel like my old self, it is certainly the right choice for me.

Granted, you and I are not the same person with the same medical history and make-up...I say, talk with your pediatrician and/or lactation consultant if you have one, about your concerns.

I hope you can feel comfortable with whatever works for you at some point.

~Sandy

Lauren: c-section at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to superimposed severe PE/class III HELLP Syndrome
Amber: repeat c-section at 37 weeks/4 days March '05 due to high blood pressure

sandy

Postby madeleine » Sat Jun 25, 2005 01:16 pm

Thanks for the reply, Sandy. I had been sitting on the 'scrip for a couple of weeks going back and forth in my mind, and I think it just comes down to the fact I am more than ready for more smiles and water balloon fights..... I am sure once it kicks in I'll feel fewer pangs of guilt/anxiety/depression -- those nasty kissing cousins.

Madeleine

Miles 9/13/90
Graham 1/6/92
Benjamin 5/22/02, severe preeclampsia, 33 weeks
Fiona 4/19/05, 37 weeks,PIH, bedrest for two months
madeleine

Postby avengelyne3 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 02:18 pm

I'm glad you're feeling better and the meds are working, I suffered PPD after I had DD. I think it had alot to do with DH leaving to finish his deployment (he was on RR) when DD was barely 2 weeks old. But, they gave me Zoloft. I was scared at first feeling like I too let my baby down, but it has been great. I rescently stopped taking it. I do wish you all the luck!

Michael Allen b April 11 1994 @42wks No health problems

Ivy Rose b July 7 2004,@ 37wks1d due to PE, PIH, HELLPS

Current EDD Nov 29, 2005 w/ Little Jack
avengelyne3

Re: ?'s about anti-depressants

Postby kyliecw83 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 04:08 am

I am so glad I come across this website. 9 days after my baby was born I suffered from eclampsia which caused me to have 2 seizures, the 2nd almost killing me. Doctors actually told me I should be dead.It was the most traumatic thing I have ever had to experience and being away from my newborn baby for a week and a half was heart breaking. 4 months later and I have come to realize that I have been suffering with pnd and have just been to the doctor today.She prescribed lexapro to me but I am really scared about being on anti depressants and am worried about having to take a pill to be happy. Would love to hear other peoples experiences on lexapro to help get my head around it
kyliecw83

Previous

Return to After your baby is born .....