Teething and your preemie

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Teething and your preemie

Postby caitlynsmama » Fri May 21, 2004 12:40 am

It is so exciting that Caitlyn is cutting her first tooth! I have a question though that some might be able to answer, and some might not. She is spitting up more now and seems to want to chew on everything, this sounds normal, right? She is going for her nine month developmental followup clinic on tuesday with the NICU so I can run this by the doctors then. She is also sitting up so much better, grasps things well, loves to sing (baby noise), says Dada now and then mama when she is upset... All in all, I am a first time mommy so I am just seeking some advice from you "pros" out there[:D]

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes
caitlynsmama

Re : Teething and your preemie

Postby angelical » Fri May 21, 2004 03:40 pm

Sounds like she's doing great! Congrats on the new tooth.

I'm no doc, but I wonder if the spitting up is related in some way to the increased saliva. All that chewing is wet business! LOL I always figure, ask the doc... that's what they are there for!

Be sure to come back often and keep us up to date on Caitlyn's progress.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02) -- my tiny guy is TWO!
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby annes » Sun May 23, 2004 08:41 am

My ten month old just cut his first 2 teeth (bottom) at the same time! He was spitting up much more for that period, and still chews on everything! He loves Zwieback(sp?) toast they seem to ease his teething suffering! He also loved to chew on a sippy cup with a little juice in it.[:)]

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby caitlynsmama » Fri May 28, 2004 07:38 am

Thank you for your responses. Caitlyn enjoys the biter biscuits and strawberry (real fruit) popsicles. She also enjoys chewing on the sippy cups.

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes
caitlynsmama

Postby annes » Fri May 28, 2004 09:21 am

I haven't tried the popsicles yet, but I may have to soon, I think Parker is cutting a top tooth! Poor little sprout, he bumps his top gums with his little bottom teeth and he starts to cry[:(]. I try not to laugh, because I hate it when he is sad or hurt, but his little face gets all screwed up and tears running down his cheeks, I always want to take a picture! I know, I know mean mommy[}:)], he pays me back by refusing to sleep through the night[;)].

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby caitlynsmama » Fri May 28, 2004 11:08 am

I am sorry to hear that Anne. Caitlyn has been sleeping from 8:30 at night until around 6:00 in the morning for the past two and a half months. I have enjoyed the extra sleep. I dont like giving her sugar but the real fruit popsicles made by Edys are my favorite and she enjoys licking them and having them on her gums:o)

caitlynsmama

Postby browncow » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:24 am

Nausea and diarrhea aren't uncommon for teething babies, preemie or full-term. The disruption of routines, appetites, et al caused by teething wears on their nerves just as it might mom and dad's.
browncow

Postby deerhart » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:52 pm

Also, the spitting up can be caused by her choking some on the extra salavia her mouth is producing because of the teething. Both my boys drooled like crazy when they were teething (to the point that putting a bib on didn't help they just soaked through it as well). I mean shirts and pants dripping wet and the outside of the diapers just soaked all from the drool.
As brown said above, both diarrhea and nausea are common as are chewing on anything and everything. She will also probably try her new chompers out on you too (not to be bad or try to hurt you, but rather just to find out what they do and what it feels like to sink them into your flesh LOL). My oldest son would bite you right as he was falling asleep, of course when your rocking a child in your arms their head is conviently located on your breast and of course its got all this nice lovely loose areas for them to get ahold of... OUCH.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby caitlynsmama » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:58 am

Caitlyn teething update- She is working on #3 and #4. The spitting up has slowed down (thank goodness) but boy is she cranky! How many teeth do kids normally have before they turn one?

caitlynsmama

Postby sandy » Tue Jul 06, 2004 01:15 pm

Hi,
My DD just turned 1 and she has 2 teeth (bottom middle). Both came in at the same time. I hear that it's somehat linked to when mom and dad got their teeth.

We took her for her 1 year checkup and the pediatrician said it looks like she has 4 coming in all on top!!

She has spit up a few times lately, like others here, loves to chew on the spicket of her sippy cup, loves to chew on her toys, her fingers, etc.

Exciting to hear that Caitlyn is getting more teeth now!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently trying to catch an egg...
sandy

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies