18 weeks chronic BP, don't know if I can make it

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

18 weeks chronic BP, don't know if I can make it

Postby matty » Mon Nov 17, 2003 01:14 am

Hello,

I'm new to this site, I had severe preeclamspia at 24 weeks my bp got up to 249/190 and delivered my twins at 25 4/7, my daughter was 1lb 9oz and my son was 1lb 1oz, he did'nt make it.

I'm pregnant again, seeing a maternal-fetal doctor, have chronic bp and I'm on Labetalol 800mg and Nifedipine 30mg. I don't feel well sometimes and I think it's my bp or early onset of preeclamspia. I'm also eighteen weeks now and my bp is going up to 140/90 sometimes 160/90, my baseline is 130/80. I'm starting to retain water, I'm so worried that I'm not going to make it, it just doesn't look good to me. I think it's the beginning of preeclamspia and it started so earlier this time. I'm heading to the doctors on Tuesday and I should get the results of my 24hour urine test.

I'm so scared, my son died in my arms and I affaird the same thing will happen again. I don't know what to do, I was hoping that the preeclamspia won't come until I was 28 weeks but 18 weeks is no hope at all.

Matty
matty

Re : 18 weeks chronic BP, don't know if I can make it

Postby erin2003 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 04:25 am

Oh Matty,

I am no expert. I just wanted to send you a million ((hugs)).

I will continually keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Erin

Me 27 DH 28
^|^ Jackson Andrew Jan 21-25, 2003
Born at 27w5d due to Pre-E, HELLP
OMGoodness! It's a Girl! EDD Jan 6/04
C-section scheduled Dec 31/03
www.babiesonline.com/babies/p/polkie
erin2003

Postby taras mom » Mon Nov 17, 2003 05:20 am

Matty, I'm so sorry about your son! I lost my daughter at 26 weeks, and I can imagine how scared you must be right now. It takes a lot of guts to try again!

It sounds as if you're doing the right things.[:)] I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your Tuesday results; please keep us posted. It may be a simple matter of adjusting your meds and getting more rest. In the meantime, get as much rest as you can. Good luck!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby julie f » Mon Nov 17, 2003 08:57 am

Matty,

Just wanted to let you know that I am keeping you in my prayers. I'm so sorry for your previous loss and for the difficulties you are again facing. Please keep us updated after your 24 hour results come back.

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby smkey » Tue Nov 18, 2003 01:57 pm

Matty
I don't have any amazing words of the wise for you, but I do have some company. I lost my daughter last year after having to induce at 20 weeks w/similar BPs. I am 19 weeks now and on Labatelol and Lovenox (for Factor V Leiden disorder)... Getting a Level 2 ultrasound next week and been on modified bedrest for over 2 weeks now. I just want you to know that you are not alone. And that my thoughts/prayers/kharma are/is being sent your way. I about gave up last night w/ a BP reading of 170/110 sitting... but today is a new day and I can't/won't let this beat me again. Please keep us updated on your progress. You and your baby are going to be OK!

Sandi
smkey

Postby catherine » Tue Nov 18, 2003 07:13 pm

Lots of best wishes Matty and Sandi, I'm so impressed at your commitment. You guys are enormously brave. I send LOOOOOOW BP vibes!

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby alysa » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:49 am

Matty,

The best thing you can do is make sure you have a perinatologist or atleast if you keep a regular OB seek also a 2nd opinion of a perinatologist OB dr. so you get the best dr. advice possible. Research Preeclampsia as best as possible, stop working if you are working - try to get state disability payments tell your dr. you want it. Or if you are already not working that is good, - the least activity the better - check with your dr. about what physical activity might be beneficial for your bp. - if you don't agree than don't follow his advice if activities make you feel worse get a 2nd opinion.

I suggest a balanced diet of protiens like Chicken, Turkey, lean Beef, and Salmon. Fruits and Vegetables (raw is actually better for you) and calcium is very important milk, rice milk, and occasional soy milk, yogurt (add granola on top) and occassional cheese.

Avoid refined sugars (don't overload on holiday treats), avoid as much as possible unnecessary artificial flavors or preservatives (check your ingredient labels for these especially: Phenanyline(in gum usually), aspartame (diet foods/no sugar added, and gum usually have this), MSG (Monosodium Glutimate usually in chips or frozen foods), BHT (a perservative usually in frozen foods and cereals), and Sodium Nitrite (usually in lunch/deli meats and hotdogs)). These are unnecessary toxins your body does not need.

Do not add extra salt to your food. Avoid high sodium foods - usually snack foods, processed or frozen foods. Avoid Frozen T.V. dinners as much as possible, and processed lunch meats or cheese - usually more sodium and additives than healthy prepared meals. - but do not avoid salt in foods entirely - as your body needs the sodium also.

Ask your Doctor first but I would add these vitamins to your daily prenatal vitamin regimin:
  • Vitamin C 250 or 500mg (look for one with bioflaviniods)
  • Vitamin E 200IU or 400 IU (ask for all natural vit.E Double check but I think it should be d-alpha derieved not dl-alpha)
  • Calcium/Magnesium complex supplement

lacking these vitamins are possibly related to increase of bp and I suggest them.

And don't forget your water intake - 8-10 glasses a day.

Remove as much stress from your life as possible (if you have any) - and if the stress continues seek to talk with a counselor or someone from church.
I suggest a yoga video you can use in your own home (make sure it is for pregnancy/relaxtion - no power yoga stuff) This is also good for relaxation techniques when you feel your bp rising.

If you don't have this book already get What to Expect When your Expecting. This also has information on well just about everything - and Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)page 246-
A chiropractor, or massage could be beneficial for pregnancy also but it definitely has to be in the right hands so look into these dr.s first that know the do's and don'ts of massage during pregnancy - as massage can trigger contractions if the abdomen (massage lightly only) or feet and ankles or webbing between the thumb and index finger are massaged and don't use aroma therpy oils - they could be too concentrated and harmful to your unborn baby. Be cautious or avoid herbal teas and herbal remedies during pregnancy and nursing - they are not sure of effects on babies and pregnancy.

Print out my suggestions if they help and ask your doctor or perinatalogist if they agree with them before you do anything.

Sincerely, someone with a respect for homeopathic techniques combined with doctoral care; and taking care of my own health as well. God Bless, I will pray for you. Feel better! [:)]
Alysa
alysa

Postby ma2anangel » Fri Nov 21, 2003 07:11 pm

{{{{Many Hugs}}} From one mother who knows to another...

I am so sorry for your loss [V]

NICHOLE

MAMA TO...

Eleighsa Lynn
&
Hunter Blake
Born Sleeping - 37 Weeks Gestation
You left and forgot to tell my heart how to live without you...
ma2anangel

Postby matty » Sat Nov 22, 2003 08:03 am

Thank you for all your support!

Good news, I don't have preeclamspia yet, the doctors said it usually happens around 20 weeks. I am spilling a little protein in my urine because my kidneys are working extra hard being pregnant and retaining water. The main concern is my blood pressure, it was 170/100 at the doctor's office so they decided to change my med to clonidine 0.1mg 3xday. So far it's working now it's 120/70 or 130/80's. They are keeping a closer eye on my now, instead of seeing the doctor every two weeks I see her once a week.

Sandi, Thinking of you. I know how hard it is when your blood pressure is being running so high, it's very discouraging but I know both of us can make it.

matty
matty

Postby paljane8 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 07:34 pm

Hey Matty,

Welcome! You and I have met-in Bellevue. I know this has got to be so stressful! I am so glad your dr. changed your meds. Has she mentioned what she plans to do to manage your care? Hang in there-you can do this.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced