Looking for support

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Re : Looking for support

Postby frasiah » Wed Aug 17, 2005 09:05 am

Congratulations on your baby boy. Please know that we shall continue to keep him and his mother on our prayers.

newdad

Postby newdad » Wed Aug 17, 2005 08:53 am

The last couple of days have been extremely hectic. I am now the proud father of a 2 pound 2 ounce baby boy. He must be the most beautiful thing that we have ever seen. All things considered, he is doing quite well. The hospital we are at has an excellent Neonatal facility. A few days before the birth one of the neonatologist bieifed us on what we might expect. It made the experience a little less scary.

My wife's ob group is really good too. When we were admitted, they started us on the steroid injections becuase they wanted the baby's lungs to develop as much as possible. When he was born he was breathing on his own for soem time but after some xrays revealed that his lungs were still immature they placed him on a ventilator.

The real complications were that my wife was feeling terrible. Her preeclampsia began to get worse after the baby was born. Right now she appears to be doing much better and we are still in the hospital.

I am greatly encouraged by stories like cassie05's. Our son was 28 weeks and 5 days. I realize that there are ups and downs but after he was born it was like I had a new burst of energy.

I can't thank each person who responded with information and words of encouragement enough. This forum really helped out. I will keep you posted as we continue.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Tue Aug 16, 2005 03:28 pm

Well, I just wanted to send you my well wishes and let you know that we're here waiting on updates.

I think (non-medical opinion) that the doctor's greatest concern at this point will be is he safer inside Mom or outside...as indicated by his growth. I'm sure they will continue to monitor this closely. Take things day by day...because each day is really valuable at this point. Continue to support your wife...this can be overwhelming for the both of you. I'm sending virtual hugs to the both of you!

BTW, have your doctors ordered steroids?? This may aid in lung development (I believe it really, really helped my little guy) if he is taken early.

You both are in my thoughts and prayers!

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:04 pm

HI and welcome...I think it is so great that you have come here for information and support. This is a great place. My son was born at 27+4 and 1 lb 12 oz and is now 19 months old and 21 lbs...he was in the NICU for 2 1/2 months but did every well considering how early he was. YOu and your family will be in my prayers

gordon k

Postby gordon k » Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:40 am

Continuously keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. The best we can do is take it one day at a time and be strong for our wives.

Please tell your wife's docs everything that she is feeling and everything going with her. We can be our wives' best advocates.

Again, wishing you the best,

julie f

Postby julie f » Mon Aug 15, 2005 06:16 pm

It has all been covered already but, I wanted to add my welcome as well. I am so sorry that you and your wife are having to deal with this.

I'm assuming they're going to run some labs to check liver function? Please let us know when you find out.

Until then, keeping yall and baby in my prayers,

newdad

Postby newdad » Mon Aug 15, 2005 02:15 pm

Again, thanks. My wife has started having some pain in her upper abdomen and in her right side. My fear is that it is edema of the liver. I appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers.

akemt

Postby akemt » Mon Aug 15, 2005 01:38 pm

Newdad,

I just wanted to add my welcome and well-wishes for your wife and baby. You've received some great responses already...quite touching, I think.

To help answer your "unanswerable" question, the average timeframe from diagnosis to delivery is 2 weeks...remember that is an average. It does sound like your wife is in the right place and will have everything possible done to prolong her pregnancy and work toward a good outcome. I know you are caught up in the fears and uncertainty of this time (I would be too), but I am so glad that your wife's condition was caught early enough that this was even an option -that is a great blessing.

I agree with the previous posters -learn what you can, prepare yourselves wherever possible (I tend to live by the "prepare for the worst and be pleasantly suprised when it doesn't happen" idea), and do whatever you can to stay sane and help your wife do the same.

Please keep us updated, ask whatever questions you have, and feel free to vent your feelings here.

Sending my prayers,

newdad

Postby newdad » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:40 am

I really appreciate the responses. Often times, we find it easier to cope with a situation when we are able to talk to others that have experienced something similar.

Thanks again.

gordon k

Postby gordon k » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:11 am

You're already doing what you can: keeping yourself informed. It's great that you're working with your wife's doctors and nurses as a team. What my wife's perinatologist and nurse did to keep us calm was tell us: "Don't freak out unless we freak out." They never freaked out, and hopefully you can go by the same mantra and stay calm because they're staying calm.

I'm pleased to hear that the doctors and nurses took appropriate actions in advance with their monitoring. This may sound weird, but to me, believe it or not in a way, it's "better" that she's in the hospital so that she has the 24 hour care and monitoring for her condition.

The best thing you can do is stay on top of things and know what's going on with your wife. It's tough not being able to take this away from them, but I think that it's important to just be there for your wife. Stay calm yourself, and keep her calm. I'm glad that you're proactive.

I wish you both the best,

Return to “Dads”