Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Headaches following birth

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Headaches following birth

Postby scrunchy » Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:53 am

by scrunchy (3 Posts), Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:53 am

My daughter was preeclamptic when she delivered her baby. Following the the birth, (she didn't know she was pregnant and delivered c-section at about 41 weeks) she has had bad headaches and is now going to see a neurologist today for follow-up. How long do symptoms last and is there anything she needs to do or watch out for? Luckily, her baby is fine and she has lost 90 lbs of weight in 4 weeks.
Thanks,
Scrunchy
scrunchy

Re : Headaches following birth

Postby sherry fisher » Tue Oct 28, 2003 09:17 am

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Tue Oct 28, 2003 09:17 am

Scrunchy,
I can tell you from experience that the post partum headaches are nothing to mess with. This and swelling was my only sign that I was experiencing post partum pre eclamspia. Severe! My son was one week old to the day when I went to the ER one night with my headaches. My BP upon admission was 222/169. The ER Dr never left my side, I was stablized and then transferred to a larger facility in St Louis, where I spent the next week. Have her BP checked. How is the swelling?? Mine was horrible. More so AFTER the birth of my son.

Good Luck!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby scrunchy » Fri Oct 31, 2003 05:13 am

by scrunchy (3 Posts), Fri Oct 31, 2003 05:13 am

quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Fisher

Scrunchy,
I can tell you from experience that the post partum headaches are nothing to mess with. This and swelling was my only sign that I was experiencing post partum pre eclamspia. Severe! My son was one week old to the day when I went to the ER one night with my headaches. My BP upon admission was 222/169. The ER Dr never left my side, I was stablized and then transferred to a larger facility in St Louis, where I spent the next week. Have her BP checked. How is the swelling?? Mine was horrible. More so AFTER the birth of my son.

Good Luck!

Sherry Fisher (28)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE

scrunchy

Postby scrunchy » Fri Oct 31, 2003 05:17 am

by scrunchy (3 Posts), Fri Oct 31, 2003 05:17 am

Sherry,

Her swelling has gone down quite a bit, 100 lbs! She is off diuretics and she has seen a neurologist who did an MRI and a Venagram along with a visit to the Opthamologist who, to him, thought everything looked fine. I understand there is a condition that excess spinal fluid can trick the body into thinking there is a brain tumor and sometimes they need to do a spinal tap. At this point, we are in a holding pattern and hoping the symptoms of preeclampsia will disappear. I have concerns as to the lenght of time it will take and if seizures could occur at this point. Any information you can give, would be helpful.

Thanks again,
Scrunchy
scrunchy

Postby sherry fisher » Fri Oct 31, 2003 06:19 am

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Fri Oct 31, 2003 06:19 am

How is her blood pressure? Sounds like her swelling is going down! I am not sure of the mentioned spinal fluid. That one is out of my league! Sorry! I would say if her BP is up and she still has significant swelling, she should call her OB that delivered! He should know of post partum PE and should do the 'work up' to DX her!

[

Sherry Fisher (28)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
sherry fisher

Postby laura » Fri Oct 31, 2003 08:44 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Fri Oct 31, 2003 08:44 am

Hi scrunchy- what a lot your family has had to deal with in the past couple of months!

It is my understanding that the preeclampsia headache is caused by the swelling, not high blood pressure. The swelling causes intercranial pressure which triggers the headaches. So, if she's been on diuretics and her swelling has resolved for the most part, my uneducated, non-medical guess is that it's probably something else causing the headache.

For most women, the preeclampsia will start to ease with delivery, and the greatest risk is within the first 48 hours. It's true that it can persist up to six weeks, but developing eclampsia at that point would be incredibly rare- and usually (and I say usually, because women here have experienced a great deal of variety in their experience) most eclampsia is a result of severe Preeclampsia- BP's exceeding 160/110 and 5,000 mg protein in a 24 hr urine. When I had postpartum preeclampsia (and THE headache) it was within 10 days of my baby's birth and my swelling had gotten worse rather than better.

How did her anesthesisa go? When I had my first, my swelling, like your daughter's, was very bad. The anesthesiologist had a really hard time placing my epidural and she missed the spot, nicked my spinal cord, and triggered a 'spinal headache'- a miserable, painful headache (the God's honest truth, one of the worst pains in my life- worse than labor, even) that didn't go away until they did a blood patch. Sometimes, the providers don't like to suggest spinal headaches, because they're the result of a mistake by a provider, and will eventually heal themselves. But, if your daughter was really swollen, it could be a possibility! Best wishes, and I hope she's feeling better soon!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby tahoe4 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:38 am

by tahoe4 (251 Posts), Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:38 am

I had Eclampsia my last pregnancy. I had severe swelling after I delivered. It went down within a few weeks then I began having HORRIBLE headaches. I went to see a neurologist and had an EKG to see if I had any damage from the seizures. The EKG was found to be normal and they attributed the headaches to raging hormines which were causing migraines. They offered me migraine medicine, which I declined because I was breastfeeding.

So the headaches may just be hormones and it may be a waiting game to see when they will subside. I sympathize with your daughter as I know how horrible my headaches were...
tahoe4

Return to Ask the Experienced