Post Reply FAQ Members Login

OB Frustrations!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

OB Frustrations!

Postby sherry fisher » Wed Dec 03, 2003 06:18 am

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Wed Dec 03, 2003 06:18 am

Hello Everyone!
I feel the need to vent here. I received a call from my OB's office the other day stating that she is leaving the practice as of Dec. 31. They were wanting me to see another OB in the practice. I voiced my frustrations to the lady who called stating that I already wait 1-3 hours to be seen, Plus, my BP has been high since week 8 and I am now 20 weeks. I then told her that I thought my care should be exclusively with a Peri, and I would talk to my DH and call her back.
Well, the next night I received a call from the OB that would be taking over my care. She asked "is there anything we can do or offer for you to stay with us". She opened up the can of worms, so I let her hear my 'concerns'. I told her of my history, my BP STILL not being under control at 20 weeks. She asked if I had done a 24 hour urine lately..NOPE. She said she needed to get one from me. I then told her that I felt that I should be seen by a Peri. Her comment "we will consult with one". Well, as if that is not enough, My OB was supposed to have someone call me for a Level 3 Ultrasound because I have Spina Bifida Occulta of my Sacrum, so we have to make sure the baby is ok, PLUS the meds that I am on and my BP readings, supposed to be checking the growth and amniotic fluid. Can I just say that I have called the office 4 times and left messages for this appt time. NO ONE has bothered to call me back!!! I can not stand having to talk to a machine EVERY time I call to get a nurse or make or change an appt. I have to wait for them to call me back, which is usually not happening! I have called several Perinatologist in our area...all of wich want a 'worksheet' from my OB stating why I need their care. I go to the new OB today, I am going to be the biggest nag she has heard in awhile!! LOL Plus, demand my ultrasound appt then...not a phone call later!

I think I am being hormonal, I dont know. I have felt the baby move pretty much last week, but the last few days I have only felt about a kick a day. I have not worried much because I know that our lil peanut is still small....should I worry about that this early?? (Sheesh, this is my fourth and MOST stressful!!) I am doing better with the pregnancy now...gearing up for this little one. Now more apprehensive with the care that I am receiving. Anyone have any advice for me??????

**Yes, my OB is the one that stated she did not want to put me on more BP meds because that will 'limit her options in the third trimester". Is it just me or shouldnt she just want to get me there in the first place?!?! My BP's have been 150/97 ish in the office...140/92 ish at home since I can remember. I am on Labetalol 200mg 3 times a day. Have not done the baby asprin, because they dont
"recommend it", I am taking extra vitamins due to my potassium being low......

Sorry for venting this morning! I had to have an ear other than DH's because I know he is just as frustrated! Thanks for listening!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Re : OB Frustrations!

Postby taras mom » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:45 am

by taras mom (841 Posts), Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:45 am

It's not just you! By her "logic," we'd all skip breakfast and lunch so we'd have more options for dinner.[}:)] Your options in the third trimester will be a lot more limited if you continue to see these high bps. You have every right to be annoyed, and if the new OB doesn't address ALL these concerns to your satisfaction, it's time to find a new office. You shouldn't have to fight with your own doctor's office. Good luck!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby buffy » Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:59 am

by buffy (29 Posts), Wed Dec 03, 2003 07:59 am

I had the same apprehension about my OB, they just didn't seem concerned when I started showing signs of pre-e. I kept going in there and just asking a few questions and that wasn't doing it. So I started demanding answers and showed that I was atleast a little bit knowledgebale about the situation then they started to really care for me. You have every right to they best care available, and you shouldn't settle for less! Call some other offices and ask them if they can see you and get a second opinion, even if you'er not quite ready to leave the original office. This will either help you to get better peace of mind or make your decision to leave the other office. You shouldn't have to worry that you're not getting the best care, you have plenty of other things to worry about. Don't settle! Demand the best care available! You definately need a second opinion.
I will be praying for you and your "littke peanut".
-Buffy
buffy

Postby akemt » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:16 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:16 am

Sherry,

HOW UPSETTING! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this! I agree with the other ladies...if they aren't answering your phone calls and watching out for you appropriately, SWITCH! If I were you, I would go into my appointment armed to the teeth...lol Then, tell them what you require of them. If they are less than accepting and agreealbe (or atleast don't have a GREAT excuse), then I would ask for that peri "work-up sheet" and for a copy of your complete file so you can find someone more appropriate. If you have the guts and are this mad about it, tell them flat out (without yelling and name-calling if at all possible [;)]) that you are not impressed with their lack of concern, treatment and response to say the least. If you do end up leaving this office, I would make a formal complaint to be put in your chart, myself. UGH! I'm irritated with them now too! [:D]

Hope your appointment goes well or horribly bad so you know to leave...whichever is best for you and your baby in the long run! Good care is important.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby sherry fisher » Wed Dec 03, 2003 04:29 pm

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Wed Dec 03, 2003 04:29 pm

Went and seen the new OB tonight. I LOVE her. She is so much more personable than the last. She remembered our whole phone conversation. (this impressed me! LOL) Did my triple test and called for a 24 hr urine! Finially! She consulted with a Peri and told me all they said! She also said at any time she feels that she cant do more for me, I will see him exclusively...and I have the option to consult with him as well! She also set up my ultrasound and will see me personally in one week. (No nurse to check my BP!) She stated that she will keep a very close eye on me and our baby! OH YES, the FIRST good BP since I have been pregnant (At the OB's office) 143/82!! Hooray! [:)] I will have my ultrasound before the 11th (my next visit!) Hoping for a girl to even out my monsters! Either or...happy to see a healthy lil baby! I will keep you posted!

Sherry Fisher (28)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
sherry fisher

Postby akemt » Wed Dec 03, 2003 04:36 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Wed Dec 03, 2003 04:36 pm

YAY Sherry, what a releif that must be! Whew. You might think of sending that doctor to me when you're done...lol j/k I'm glad things are going well and hope that is a trend for your pregnancy!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby taras mom » Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:13 pm

by taras mom (841 Posts), Wed Dec 03, 2003 11:13 pm

That's great, Sherry! I'm sending you girl vibes.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby twolfgram » Thu Dec 04, 2003 05:11 am

by twolfgram (388 Posts), Thu Dec 04, 2003 05:11 am

Great news, Sherry! Hoping for a healthy little girl for you!!

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - 28 weeks born 10/4/95
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02
twolfgram

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:15 pm

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:15 pm

UGHHHH! Dont have an ultrasound appt. until Dec. 17th. Have to wait 2 more dreadful weeks to see my lil' Fish! Have not had a look since week 8. WOW..what a differance this will be!! lol Cant wait for good news!! The hearbeat was 151. Come on girls...what is that, girl or boy?!?! LOL Cant tell I am getting excited now, can you???

Sherry Fisher (28)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
sherry fisher

Postby sweetdreamz » Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:22 pm

by sweetdreamz (10 Posts), Thu Dec 04, 2003 01:22 pm

im having a boy, and his heartbeat has been consistently around 145 - 152 or so. lol so fast = boy at least for me. although ive heard the exact opposite too!

Diana
sweetdreamz

Return to Ask the Experienced