Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hurricane Katrina

Re : Hurricane Katrina

Postby melissam » Wed Aug 31, 2005 01:26 pm

by melissam (3074 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 01:26 pm

I am so sorry Cara...that is horrible. Keeping you all in my prayers. I hope things get better Sabrina.
melissam

Postby youtan » Wed Aug 31, 2005 02:55 pm

by youtan (1592 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 02:55 pm

Oh Cara. There are no words to describe it. I'm so sorry!
youtan

Postby alexp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 03:31 pm

by alexp (1475 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 03:31 pm

Cara, I'm so sorry. It's just horrible.

When I was little I dreamed of living in NO when I grew up. It has always been one of my favorite cities. It breaks my heart to see it destroyed...let alone think about all the people and familes who've had their lives ruined.

Something that is very applicable to pre-e and high risk pregnancy....New Orleans was home to like 10 major hospitals and 4 major universities...2 medical schools (and I may have the numbers wrong). My peri was originally from New Orleans. DH's 2nd cousin had a baby with spina bifida last summer...the baby had just come home from surgery at Children's Hospital a month ago. In this state, when you need really high tech care, New Orleans is where you go. Now it's all being ruined. They are trying to evacuate patients who were previously considered to ill to move as you read this - they don't have power and patients on ventilators are being ventilated by hand...many critically ill people have died from the stress of the move. You know there were probably preemies in that number.

I'm starting to get mad, too - it has been three days, and things are getting worse and worse...where the **** is "hurricaine aid"? Why aren't any of the movie stars having hurricane benefit concerts? Just my opinion, but this is becoming a distaster on a very similar scale to 9/11 or the asian tsunamis. I also wonder why certain world leaders - I won't mention any names - took 3 days to interrupt their vacation to make an appearance...

:(
alexp

Postby sandy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 04:36 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 04:36 pm

Cara and everyone else directly affected here...I'm so sorry. I'm just so sorry for your loss.

I live in a community that was devastated by wildfires in October of 2003. (We evacuated but were lucky to come home to a still standing structure). About 350 homes here burned to the ground. The rebuilding has been a long process. To date, just about 50% (I believe) finally have the permits to start rebuilding. There are a percentage which are rebuilt and some are starting to move back in. And this is a community which is on top of things.

My point is, I have a little experience knowing what a disaster is on a very , very small scale from my community...trying to put my mind around how it is for you all in the Gulf, on such a much larger scale...I have a hard time envisioning. So many challenges day-to-day right now for so many, and then in the years to come.

Our thoughts are with you out here in CA.

...and where *is* the help? I was asking my DH last night while he was watching footage of NO on a news cable channel...I said that we(United States) seem to drop things and rush to help those in need, even outside of our country...where are the ships and men and women from other countries now that we (United States) need the help?!
sandy

Postby alexp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 05:03 pm

by alexp (1475 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 05:03 pm

Yeah, one of the headlines on yahoo news right now is martha stewarts ankle braclet removal...who gives a flying ****? I'm sorry but I am just so freaked out by all this...I think Jimmy is about to get sent to NO to work...like tonight. I knew this was coming but I am selfish - and very scared for him, and I don't want him to go. I was hoping he'd get sent to a shelter in the northern part of the state.

We are emailing back and forth right now.

Monroe/ West Monroe are filling up with evacuees. People are starting to hoard gas and water even up here.

Has any country even offered the US aid? or condolences or anything?
alexp

Postby alexp » Wed Aug 31, 2005 05:08 pm

by alexp (1475 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 05:08 pm

Well, he wasn't picked to go tonight, after all.

Cara, I am still thinking about you - and your brave DH! I hope he's holding up okay.

Mandy and others - how are things going in MS?

Tanya - have you heard from BIL yet?

Laura - I couldn't remember if you still had family here or not. I hope everything is okay!
alexp

Postby youtan » Wed Aug 31, 2005 05:10 pm

by youtan (1592 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 05:10 pm

The Pope apparently.

I agree completely. Does the rest of the world think that we are ALL rich and/or deserve this?

I think tho' that its just that devasting which is the main reason that it appears nothing is happening. So hard to even get into NO. And they are focused on transporting people from hospitals and homes trying to get everyone out.

Oh - yes, we've heard from BIL (see above) thank goodness he's safe!

This is the news I've been reading to keep up on whats happening in NO: http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/ There are updates every 30 minutes or more.

Edited to add: http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/08/31/katrina.concert/index.html
Here's your benefit concert!!!
youtan

Postby cara » Wed Aug 31, 2005 07:42 pm

by cara (666 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 07:42 pm

I know and we all feel the same way down here....BR is inundated with half the NO population so traffic is unlike anything I have EVER seen anywhere.

The relief effort is twice the size of 9/11 b/c of the # of people affected and homes destroyed.

We think we have good news on my parents' house though. Rumor has it that it seems to be ok and if it ever had water, it all receded. Now if the levees hold a tad bit more, it'll be just fine. Other family members are not so lucky. And as it stands, my parents can't even go back for another month or up to even 3 - 4 months.

Mike and I are passing ships these past days. He's being way overworked and overstressed and I get the brunt of it. It hurts but after the fact I realize that he's just tired and stressed. It's so HOT when he gets home and he can't sleep at all. We argued over the location of hot dogs today. Isn't that dumb?

This is really nuts. My work is being really great about it though. We are allowed to sleep at the office, bring our families if we need to and let them use computers and phones. I am at my SIL's apartment. We stayed in the hot house last night and Grant got sick. I had to bring him in to the Dr who told me he was having a severe allergy to the pollen and crap in the air from having the windows open and the fans blowing on him. I felt GREAT after hearing that. I made my own baby sick! So we are staying with 10 other people in a 2 bedroom apartment. Count your blessings, right? It's better than having nowhere to go!
cara

Postby kdreher » Wed Aug 31, 2005 07:48 pm

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 07:48 pm

Rough times for you for sure Cara. I'm sure that things are rough w/ Mike and you...try to remember you are very lucky. Dh and I just said that tonight how we are so fortunate. Sure hope your family homes are safe..this is all so stressful to watch let alone be involved in.
kdreher

Postby lgw » Wed Aug 31, 2005 08:25 pm

by lgw (382 Posts), Wed Aug 31, 2005 08:25 pm

Hey Cara - I'm so sorry. I live in Mobile and have spent a lot of time in NO. I just can't believe the mess. We don't have power yet, and they haven't given any indication of when it will be on. It is so hot. I can't believe I10 over the Lake is gone. I just can't believe any of this mess. I've not been able to contact my friends in BR - they also are from NO.
Leslie
lgw

PreviousNext

Return to Louisiana