Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Transitioning to Finger Foods! Help!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Transitioning to Finger Foods! Help!

Postby jfindley » Sat Nov 07, 2009 08:22 pm

Our ped says Isaac should be feeding himself finger foods now so we have been working with him on this and after much effort and lots of gagging, he loves to feed himself the melt in your mouth puffs, but he won't take stage 3 foods or any other finger foods without gagging and vomiting. And I mean really, really small, soft pieces of food. He will take purees with oatmeal or cereal mixed in though, it is just the actual little discernible chunks he can't seem to swallow. I will have to mention it at our next developmental therapy appointment and for now our ped says because he has had uri for a month now, just let him stick to what he likes and we will address it when he is better. He is 11months (7.5 adjusted) and he is doing so well in everything else (at least 9 months old in other areas), I am bummed we can't seem to conquer this finger food/stage 3 thing. Anyone else have problems at this stage of solids? What did you do to move past it?
jfindley

Re : Transitioning to Finger Foods! Help!

Postby amandaoasis » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:05 pm

It sounds like Isaac is doing great! I guess at 7.5 months adjusted, I wouldn't be too worried about the finger food/stage 3 thing. I'm not a pediatrician, but Bennett didn't move up to those things until about 8 months adjusted and still gags with some types of foods/sizes. I think the opinion on these sorts of things varies quite a bit though.

amandaoasis

Postby mother bear » Sun Nov 08, 2009 08:47 am

We had the same problem with the gagging and vomiting for our first. Maybe you could talk to early intervention and either get a nutritionist or an occupational therapist to help. For us, we just had to wait. It was frustrating when the neighbor kid wolfed down little pieces of meat and brocolli at 11 months, and my kid could barely get cheerios or any stage three down without gagging, vomiting, and crying. She got there eventually.
mother bear

Postby kdreher » Mon Nov 09, 2009 02:19 pm

I have to say that I am right there with you regarding finger foods. Michael will be 1 on 11/19 and his adjusted age is 9 mos. He is not interested in finger foods at all. At daycare he is given some food for him to basically touch and play with and the same at home. In the few times he has had food (cracker etc) he threw it up and I think it's the gag reflex. His teacher suggested bying that Baby Safe Feeder to put foods in it so Michael could taste them safely. I have to be honest and think your pedi is asking way to much for a child that has an adjusted age of 7.5 mos. I am not stressing that Michael is not eating people food yet, he will. Michael was so small as a 32 weeker I also keep that in mind.

I bought this, they sell a single one at the store.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2404768
kdreher

Postby shaym2009 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 05:00 pm

We are having the same problem with Jonathan - 11 months adjusted. I have been trying to introduce stage 3 and home made foods, but he just wont tolerate having anything chunky in his mouth - except for paper. His pediatrician thinks it is due to his high pallet and suggested that I continue to work with him. He will only chew and swallow a puff if we force it in his mouth. I bought a safe feeder this weekend and am going to try it tonight. My only concern is that his skin color is a little yellow. The Ped said it was karatenosis caused from the Gerber baby foods and is not harmful.
shaym2009

Postby jfindley » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks ladies. Good to hear we are not alone. I also think our ped is expecting a little too much for his corrected age. (His one year is coming up this weekend!) He will just be turning 8.5 adjusted on Sunday and most stage 3 is for at least 9month olds. I am trying to relax about it, but I will mention it at our next developmental therapy appointment. Oh, and Sharon, Isaac also had an orange nose from karatenosis and still gets it every now and then. It was cute when he was a pumpkin for Halloween. For now, I will just continue to thicken his stage 2 with oatmeal and cereal and keep the puffs coming. I like the idea of the safe feeder thing too. Let me know how that works for you ladies when you try it.
jfindley

Postby kdreher » Tue Nov 10, 2009 08:30 am

Michael thinks the Safe Feeder is another toy....he does put it in his mouth and when I see he starts to play with it, I just take it away. I don't want him to think it's a toy. I'll keep trying every day with it. I honestly haven't moved to Stage 3 food yet, I'll try soon. I'd rather him eat regular Stage 2 then make him gag :)
kdreher

Postby aggie95mom » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:16 am

You've already received such great insight/experience and I cannot really add anything there, but I do agree that I think your ped is jumping the gun a bit based on Isaac's age. I really think that with our early babies, some peds don't want/forget to look at their adjusted age for where they should be.

I'm sure all feeding therapists and peds differ on this, but ours always told us that Stage 3 foods were difficult for a lot of kids because the texture was so odd ... is it chewy or is it soft? For both of my kids, once they had the pureed stuff mastered (to the point they could handle it a bit thicker), I just started trying to find soft real food ... overcooked pasta and carrots come to mind.

And, for my sons, I took it as a sign that when they gagged on items, they just weren't ready for it. As long as you continue to offer Isaac opportunities to explore the new food, he will most likely get there.

I know for me, if I'm eating something that is supposed to be smoother (like mashed potatoes), I'm completely turned off if I get a bite that is lumpy.

aggie95mom

Postby season » Wed Nov 11, 2009 01:25 pm

7.5 months adjusted is still pretty young to get a variety of finger foods. The puffs are a great start. You could also try puffed rice cereal. Stage 3 foods are really hard for some kids - as they are pureed and chunks together - very confusing.

The safe feeder is another way to get him more comfortable with different tastes and textures. The whole idea of solid feeding for babies is to get them familiar with foods and the routine of eating. Playing with the safe feeder is part of the exploration. Little ones will also "play" with the finger foods - it's all about understanding how it all works.

OP - I would give him more time and just slowly introduce things as he seems able to tolerate them.
season
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies