Post Reply FAQ Members Login

NEC??

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : NEC??

Postby ch3lsea » Wed Sep 22, 2010 07:22 pm

by ch3lsea (46 Posts), Wed Sep 22, 2010 07:22 pm

Hi Audrey :)- Kayleigh is doing ok, she is on antibiotics still, until Sunday...and the surgeons took her drain out. They're still measuring her belly everyday and watching her closely, but so far her belly is nice and soft and her belly measurements are normal. She is at a Children's Hospital now, so yea she could have surgery right away if the doctors decide to do it. She is almost 2 pounds now. Once the antibiotics are done they are talking about trying breastmilk again...I really want her to start feeding but I'm so afraid she will get NEC again =/
ch3lsea

Re : NEC??

Postby kdreher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 01:47 pm

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Tue Sep 28, 2010 01:47 pm

HOneslty I have to say that it sounds like NEC. Yes we have experience with this as Michael was diagnosed with NEC. He was at a NICU near home, just 13 beds, and about 3 weeks into his life they were having issues with him digesting food, etc. They suspected NEC right away,called us at home at 12am, rushed him via amublance to another NICU in our state. I had no knowledge of NEC and honestly I'm glad I hadn't read about it or else I'd have been a wreck. Many babies die from this is the meds don't work, the surgery is very invasive. Luckily the antibiotics worked and after about 7-10 days they resumed feeding breas milk, he was transfered back to NICU at home and then 2 weeks later came home. He's not had any digestion issues at all...and he is now 22 mos. She will be fine..he had no replapses.
kdreher

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies