An update and a question

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

An update and a question

Postby joker » Wed May 27, 2009 04:59 pm

Alison is almost 6weeks old now, although adjusted she should be just in her first week (her due date was 5/25). I'm wondering when she might start having more awake time. I've got her on a pretty good schedule I think. She eats about every three to three and half hours and eats about 3oz although I think I am going to start increasing her to 4oz because she seems to still be hungry on occasion after eating. But generally, she eats, then falls right to sleep. She has about one or two periods during the day and evening when she is awake for about an hour or so, but that is it. The pedi said we should start tummy time, but she's never awake to do it!

She's waking up about once at night to eat, but then some nights she is up a few times just fussing and wanting to be held...I am still hoping she'll start to sleep for more than three hours soon!
joker

Re : An update and a question

Postby jenn » Wed May 27, 2009 05:11 pm

Jen,
Like you mentioned, adjusted she is 2 days old. I imagine she is just growing like a weed and needs her beauty rest. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would just make the most of the time when she is up.
I must say I'm a little surprised the dr. mentioned starting tummy time already. But that's just my non-doctor self talking.
If anything it never hurts to mention her sleeping habits to the doc for a piece of mind.
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby crystalw » Wed May 27, 2009 06:04 pm

Jen, I wouldn't worry too much about her sleeping unless she doesn't/won't wake up to eat. She eats like a big girl!! :) Makes me kinda worry about Jack.. he only eats 85cc's every 3 hours and every 4-5 hours at night.. 90cc's is 3oz.. I tried to do 3oz for about a week and he wouldn't take it or if he did he had major spit up. Sometimes he doesn't even eat the whole 85cc bottle. But he is gaining 1oz a day so I guess thats ok.. anyhow.. back to your post.. :) yeah tummy time is kinda early for a 6 week old I guess.. Jack likes his tummy but only when he is in the mood and who knows when that is.. hehe.. he naps on his tummy though.. I know thats naughty.. :(
crystalw

Postby lilliputianmama » Wed May 27, 2009 07:33 pm

We were told to start tummy time immediately, too.

She is eating well! And growing! And sleeping, just what a babe should be doing. She will be awake and alert and you will be wondering when she will sleep soon!
lilliputianmama

Postby aundapenner » Thu May 28, 2009 08:06 am

Sounds to me like you both are doing great.

Sofia just recently started having more waking hours. And she is 3 months old and was a full-termer.

We also don't do lots of tummy time.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. So long as she's gaining and growing ...

My theory has always been to just let them do their thing on their schedule. Honest! For example, I did not encourage Henry to crawl ... he just started doing it. (Crawling meant he was no longer ''safe'' in one spot.) Nor did I encourage walking ... because man, that meant trouble! he he ...

You're doing great mama!!!
aundapenner

Postby joker » Thu May 28, 2009 01:00 pm

Alice, you are too funny! Ok, I won't worry about trying to get her to be more awake. Its just that a few of my friends have had babies recently and it seems like they have much more awake time...but I know, I can't compare her to full term babies. I just have to keep telling myself that. Although, last night she slept from midnight till 6am and only woke for a few minutes to fuss and not to eat! Eureka! Almost six full hours in a row of sleep!
joker

Postby surefoott » Fri May 29, 2009 10:58 am

I had one that hardly ever slept, even as an infant, and then my next one slept alot and didn't have much awake time! You just can never tell what their natural sleep patterns are going to be.
When my kids were babies, you put them on their stomachs all the time and to sleep, which now I know is all changed now. So we never really had to have 'tummy time'. My daughter has a 6 month old girl and my son has a 10 month old son and both were told to start tummy time right away. Neither baby liked it much until they could really push up higher and look around.
Sounds like your doing good, though; I wouldn't worry about it; her sleep patterns will change soon enough on her own.
surefoott

Postby season » Fri May 29, 2009 11:49 am

She sounds pretty normal for her adjusted age. I think some ped's really don't get preemies. Give her time she will stay awake more as she grows. Sleep is one of those things that I found was always changing and each kid is different - I hope for you sake she settle into a pattern though.

As for tummy time - when my preemie was still small - he did tummy time on me. I laid on the couch - propped against the arm and laid him on my tummy. Then I sang and talked to him and he would thus want to look up at mommy. This was the only way my tiny preemie could do tummy time at first - because he was so small and also really wanted to be held. My ds always had at least one time in the day where he was the most alert and that's when I did this (at first it was in the evening.) As he got bigger and more awake I worked on more floor time. Tummy time can be for just a few minuted at first. it's work for them and does tire them out - so just try a few minutes and first and add more time as she seems awake and ready.

She will slowly expand her awake hours and you can just add in more "play" as she seems ready. Something like this: http://www.toyshelf.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=TL-00940&source=feeds&kw=Froogle might also really help as she does get bigger and more alert. My ds did not like tummy time without something to prop him at first - but a boppy was way to big for him. I used something like this until he could launch himself over it - then he got time on a flat blanket.
season
Forum Moderator

Postby kdreher » Tue Jun 02, 2009 02:33 pm

Michael was born 8 weeks early and up until a month or two ago (he is now 6 mos) he slept alot. He tends to cat nap more during the day and sleeps at least 6-7 hrs at night. Like many have said they will move along as they are supposed to, at their pay. As long as they are healthy and gaining weight, to me, that's all that matters.

Michael is adjusted age of 4 mos and he moves around a lot by rolling side to side but does not roll over yet, can hold head up when being held or in a sit up position or on belly..but on his belly IMO he's lazy LOL. I just work with him and give him floor time all the time. They will do things when they are ready I think.
kdreher

Postby annes » Wed Jun 03, 2009 09:41 am

Kristine, tummy time all the time, we did the same and Clover hated it.
annes
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies