BP Very Healthy Life Style (Suggestions)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : BP Very Healthy Life Style (Suggestions)

Postby alysa » Sun Nov 30, 2003 08:58 am

To clarify the suggestions given regarding HG

In Jen's case (btw hope your feeling ok, let me know ;)), she is able to tolerate frozen foods, and my response was also specific for her. In my current preg. I took the suggestions given, yet I myself still went through a period of not even tolerating vitamins, and had hard time eating many times (losing weight even), I felt worse though the less I ate - is why it is reccomended to eat more frequently small tolerable meals. In my case, I was more able to tolerate certain foods and able to take vitamins again in the 3rd month, then finally returning to a regular appetite. As my case was not severe to take any further steps. If vomiting becomes severe (HG), as it sounds like in your case, more serious measures need to be taken.

In regards to vitamin supplements there are some specific for nausea that might help some as well as prenatal development. Not always are vitamins tolerated though*, if someone can they are helpful for better nutrition. *As a note if a vit. is taken on an empty stomach this also can possibly cause stomach upset, and if food is tolerable always try if you can to take with a little food.

Regarding vit B6 this may help some with nausea (not vomiting).

The suggestions given were basic hometreatment suggestions for morning sickness, and what one person might feel ill from - smells, tastes, etc. another may not.

If vomiting is more severe and food is not being tolerated, this is why I did also mention:

* "...I think if your keeping food down at all and still ok, home treatment is best. - talk to your dr. if med. is something necessary to consider if you feel it's out of control or your dehydrated etc. - and look into the type of med. that it's considered safe and if it is helpful for you."

*Taken from Webmd: "If you have severe, persistent nausea and vomiting (hyperemesis gravidarum), see your doctor or midwife immediately. This uncommon complication of pregnancy can lead to dehydration and malnutrition, sometimes requiring prescribed medication or hospitalization."

I hope this helps to clarify.

Take care,

Alysa

Chloe (4)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Postby alysa » Sun Nov 30, 2003 09:10 am

Jen,
I must have posted a reply right after you. I'm glad you are able to eat something then! I was pretty ill with bad morning sickness, but am happy to be eating (funny, I used to drink milk before preg. now I only like Rice milk [;)])- I know my symptoms don't compare to more severe condition.

As for your bp read the ingredient labels for sodium levels especially in the frozen section, would be my best advice and I do understand also with eating whatever you can tolerate. I'm eating much healthier meals now than I was, but only because I am able. I'm sure your doing your best already.

Hope your HG stays in control.

Alysa

Chloe (4)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Postby kim » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:34 am

I really don't want to get into a debate about morning sickness and hyperemesis remedies, since this forum is for Preeclampsia... WebMD, etc are great sources, but do not even lightly touch on the severity of hyperemesis. Constant nausea and vomiting (not like morning sickness, where you feel better after you vomit), is absolutely mind-bending. For many of us, we were on a drug (Zofran) that is used to prevent chemo patients from their nausea and vomiting.

There seems to be some sort of link between pre-e and hg. HG only occurs in 0.5% of women, yet I have ran into many on this site. As I have stated before, anyone suggesting that vitamins or any foods could have changed the outcome of a pregnancy is hard to take for a woman with pre-e and hg.

For example, I took folic acid and prenatals before I was pg. At 5 weeks, I was in the hospital after three days of vomiting at least 20 times a day, to the point of passing out. So, I go on through my pregnancy, taking all of these medications and only being able to eat Poptarts for 7 months. I can't leave my house because any motion or smell guarantees me a week in the hospital (where it smells even worse). My husband could not even come near me because the smell of people made me vomit. So, just as I can see the light at the end of tunnel, preeclampsia hits me out of no where. Literally, I went from a bp of 100/60 to 150/100 in two days. I'm induced a few days later, nearly die during labor, have a post-partum flare up of preeclampsia that almost kills me (again)... Then, we find that our baby has three heart defects, severe reflux and allergies. It's just really hard to think "Well, if I would have MADE myself drink Ensure or take B6 (which actually made me vomit worse), then everything would have turned out different." HG affects everything in your life. I lost my job, and in turn, lost our house during my pregnancy, all because I wouldn't eat certain foods?

I think this is the true reason why so many of us on this site get in such heated debates about food intake being related to preeclampsia. We all know that eating healthy is best, and that in a perfect world, we would all eat great during our pregnancies. For those of us with hg and pre-e, we are truly at the mercy of God. We hope that the steriods that we have to take in order to stop the vomiting do not affect our babies. We hear doctors tell us that an abortion would be the best thing for us, because we are weak and cannot eat or drink. Or, we hear that we are so sick because we secretly don't want the baby. HG is a little-understood disease and I was very lucky to have a doctor whose wife suffered through it. Otherwise, I might have been told to have an abortion.

And then, for preeclampsia or hellp to set in after all of the * we've already been through is excrutiating.

While I think your advice is good, I just don't think it applies to everyone. I tend to believe that hg and pre-e are set in motion for different reasons for different people. There is no one cause or cure for everyone, and we just have to be careful suggesting that a healthy life style is going to change the course or outcome of a pregnancy.

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President - Preeclampsia Foundation

Kim
Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby momathelete » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:12 am

Kim,

I have to applaud your comment about healthy eating -of course we all know that healthy eating makes one healthy. SO, when debates arise about the intake of food, I tend to get sensitive about what people say will help. Gee, I really wish there was something that we can do to make preeclampsia go away. If that were the case, there would be no preeclampsia. Everyone tries to eat correctly if possible, right? I tried many methods and I had many opportunities since I had 3 pre-e babies, no matter what happened, I ended up with either HELP,pre-e or PIH. Although, I will say that I do think that I did a few things differently the third time and just going to PIH instead of HELP was so awesome. I honestly think that I cannot make ANY comments but sympathy about HG since I never had it THANK GOD. For those who have had it, I really think you have been through * and back, on top of the pre-e is just an amazing testimony of how strong you really are. IF anyone has any questions about HG and how to get support or help, go to the HG website. People who have had it are a breed apart. They are the only ones who can really understand how severe it is. Just like if someone tells me they had a preemie who was 10 days early (It actually happened!) -Honey, you just don't know until you have experienced it yourself.

Alysa, I know you mean well with the information you are giving. Do you have a medical backround? I am just curious....

Michelle
mom to Cole Thomas -former 28.5 weeker (3-5-99, 3 lbs)due to HELLP and Madelaine Grace "Lainey" -former 29.5 (10-11-01, 3lbs 4oz)weeker due to Pre-E and had PIH with Elisabeth Rose (Ella) -37 weeker,born June 30th 2003 weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and beautiful.
momathelete

Postby kim » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:36 am

Thanks Michelle.

If being healthy pre-pg and during pg, then only out of shape, obese women would get pre-e. I was in perfect health before pregnancy, yet I got struck by two bolts of lightening. Also, as Anne stated before, it would seem that 3rd world countries would be the hardest hit with pre-e, but they are not. Pre-e/Hellp and HG are such strange diseases, as if they just pick random people out....

Kim
kim

Postby jjbeck » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:43 am

Great post Kim. I think discussing HG is appropriate, especially food intake as it is all seems relevant to Pre e.

HG certainly put me through *...twice. The first HG pg ended tragically.
This PG, has only become tolerable because of steroids. At around 7 wks, I was extremely ill,IVs, lost 12 pounds in a wk and of course spilling K tones. Back then there was no torerating anything.

You are so right. HG effects so much. It can effect all of your organs. Last pg it effected my heart and liver...oh yeah it left me with a severe case of depression and anxiety. It really did a number on my husband as well. I had to quit work, which surely put a financial strain on us.

Anyway, back to the food. Even thank God I am able to eat certain foods now, my aversions are as strong as they ever were and I still have some residual effects from the HG. Nausea is still constant and I still vomit almost everyday, though it is not the God awful FOOD POISON like nausea as it was before I began the steroids and with my last HG PG.

I do worry qiute a bit about my diet...I cannot believe my wt gain. I am off steroids and still gaining too much. I eat between 1500 and 2000 calories a day, sometimes less but I am still gaining like crazy. I have always been on the thin side so this excessive wt gain is very uncomfortable.

I more so worry about all of the meds I am on and have been on. I feel very guilty and selfish all of the time and wish I could just force myself to go off meds and eat better.

:(
jjbeck

Postby laura » Sun Nov 30, 2003 02:25 pm

Hey DON'T blame yourself! See, if you blame yourself, I'll have to blame myself, too, and then we'll have a big ole blubbering mess. I tried all the stuff that the others may have missed- sea sick bands, acupuncture, b-12 shots, these naturopathic (psychopathic, more like) mineral supplements my midwife sold me- you name it. Didn't even make a dent in the hurling.

Well, the sea sick bands worked from when I missed my period until the + pregnancy test came in. After that, they were ugly bracelets. I wore them anyway, and it made a nice flesh sculpture when I started to swell. I have to agree with the others- I wanted to throttle anyone who had just morning sickness telling me that if I had tried ____ then I wouldn't be sick. My drink of choice? Diet creme vanilla and rootbeer, with all the bubbles shaken out. I did pop tarts and grits. woohoo, breakfast of champions! And I took enough Unisom to help a small country sleep soundly for a couple of months. Guilty? Of course, but once my critters were here healthy, that's all that mattered. Don't beat yourself up- getting a healthy baby here- that's all that matters. You're a good mom- you're growing a baby. That's hard work. Ya do what you gotta- we're behind you!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby jjbeck » Sun Nov 30, 2003 04:23 pm

You know what I mean though about feeling guilty, right?
It is especially hard since my mom gave birth to 12 without problems and all of my sisters have had several kids without problems.

I hear ya about the sea bands....they were nothing but unsighlty bracelets thats left bruises.

I wish I could take the unisom. It makes me feel very wired and itchy...all of the sedating antihistamines do.

I take ambien...it is the only thing tht lets me fall asleep...it also gives me a break from the nausea.
jjbeck

Postby alysa » Sun Nov 30, 2003 06:02 pm

[:I]
I believe highly in natural healing, including that by God. As I have not had HG, but only bad morning sickness, I sympathize sincerely, and I have not once stated any of my suggestions could have or will change the outcome of a pregnancy complication or health of a baby, nor have I said that being healthy can prevent the onset of preg. complications such as HG or pree./PIH etc. (the reason I came to this site - I myself have gone through PIH). I do believe the healthier the better for our body as a whole and I only offer my own personal knowledge of health and nutrition. I even felt guilty about not eating right the first three months and not being able to take vitamins for 2. When it comes to your health and baby and have to take meds. do not feel guilty :( - you are doing all that you can, and that is a good thing. I think any dr. or person suggesting abortion is inappropriate (as it's a baby in or out of utero who's living). I believe in medical steps as well - as needed and have been down both roads for different reasons during and outside of pregnancy.

Like I said before, my knowledge comes from personal research regarding nutrition and natural healing. Though my personal experience might vary from all of you - I have suffered illness as a teen in my past in which I spent most of one year in bed - trying to get proper medical treatment and had to learn to heal myself along with the dr. (and homeopathic dr/chiropractor) - I also received healing from prayer during that time; I have low blood sugar - which I have had to learn more about eating properly; a couple years ago I was on then off med. for a heart condition (I could not handle them well after trying 4 types), and have struggled with PIH 4 years ago (actually my daughter's almost 5 :) )... with no treatment or real help during my first pregnancy. Currently I am battling (it is a battle) with developing PIH again and watching my blood pressure daily - so far my highest has been 141/87 and which my lowest measure is 102/67, I have been noticing a climbing increase but still okay. My suggestions, I as well am giving my best effort possible (maybe not completely possible for all for different circumstances), I know of no cure but prayer and offer knowledge with merely HOPE. And do not wish to be involved in any heated discussion, as my intention is not to add any stress to anyone or myself.

The more we know of what MIGHT help and the more knowledgable we are I believe the better. If anything, if even one suggestion I have helps even one person, I hope that my suggestions were worth it, and I am by no means offering a "cure solution".

If this is the only way that I may be of help I, if nothing else, offer to pray specifically for anyone who needs it also, let me know

May God truely bless and bring healing to all of you (and I)
Alysa

Alysa

Chloe (4)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Postby kim » Sun Nov 30, 2003 06:15 pm

Jen,

My response to people critisizing our meds is that if I hadn't taken them, I wouldn't have Ainsley. Ambien was my life saver! It was the ONLY time of the day when I didn't feel like death. I thought I would be addicted to it by the time I had the baby (took it from 8 weeks until I delivered), but I wasn't...

All I can promise is that it does go away after delivery!!
Take care,

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

kim

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Experienced