Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Aspirin to prevent PE?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Aspirin to prevent PE?

Postby alysa » Fri Nov 28, 2003 08:21 am

by alysa (38 Posts), Fri Nov 28, 2003 08:21 am

Hi, I just wanted to add a reply. I do my own personal research on health and nutrition and have also been researching ways to help improve or alleviate some Pre E. or PIH symptoms. In my opinion, I feel "iffy" in regards to aspirin.

If you like, check the Ask the Experienced forum's section under "BP Very Healthy Life Style to Follow". I have put a lot of my own believed suggestions but check with your doctor about them; and always check with your doctor first (I also believe a second dr's. advice helpful) before deciding to take aspirin or other med's. (make double sure the particular antihypertension med's are okay in preg. & ask for the lab print out of any medication from the pharmacy as well as the pharmacist's opinion too. Ask questions if anything concerns you.) The more educated you are the better, and also can lessen your worries, help you know to a degree what to expect or make educated decisions with your doctor.

Regarding aspirin, one of the risks if taken late in preg. may be Abrupto Placentia-(the placenta abrupts or separates from the uterine wall; this can be a slight or more serious severe separation - both needing medical attention.- Hypertension is also a possible risk among other kinds of risk factors of this occurring as well) -This usually occurs late in pregnancy.

My only opinionated suggestion would be to research it's use/risks and definitely under medical supervision if you do take aspirin or any med. As aspirin has been shown to be helpful in regards to Pre.E or hypertension at a low dose, you should follow your doctor's advice (and second dr. opinion & other suggestive treatments to help as well or instead of). The use of aspirin can be risky in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy and it seems possible also risky in the very beginning as well.

As a note, miscarriage can happen from many causes, or even natural reasons. In my current pregnancy now, I feel lucky as I had a threatened miscarriage at week 7. The first trimester is a higher risk of miscarriage for any reason. (I'm 28 wks along now).

I hope this information is helpful.

Take care,

Alysa

Chloe (4)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Postby laura » Fri Nov 28, 2003 02:27 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Fri Nov 28, 2003 02:27 pm

Alysa, I respect your right to not wish to take aspirin, and your right to talk about it, but I worry about women who are prescribed asprin by their doctors sitting around worrying about having an abruption. Aspirin does not cause hypertension, it is commonly used as a treatment for hypertension (of course, I have links to articles supporting this available upon request). And placental abruptions don't cause hypertension, they are caused by hypertension. (I wasn't clear on which factor you suggested caused hypertension) I found some information from a reputable source on the question.

"AHRQ is the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality—the Nation's lead Federal agency for research on health care quality, costs, outcomes, and patient safety."

This governmental agency looked at ALL of the research associated with low dose aspirin and came to some conclusions for doctors, and they can be found at this site:
http://www.ahcpr.gov/clinic/lobrhigh.htm

Preeclampsia and Low-Dose Aspirin Therapy
Although findings from some clinical trials indicate that aspirin therapy is effective in reducing the risk of preeclampsia in pregnant women, other studies suggest that this therapy is associated with an increased risk of placental abruption. The PORT conducted several analyses to examine the data from these and other studies. The team's findings indicate that:

-There is an association with aspirin therapy compliance as measured by a maintained decrease in serum thromboxane levels, resulting in improved pregnancy outcomes such as less preeclampsia, less premature rupture of membranes, fewer preterm births, higher mean birthweight, and fewer small-for-gestational-age births.

-There appears to be no association between the risk of placental abruption and subsequent perinatal mortality and receiving preventive low-dose aspirin therapy. Biochemical Predictors of Preterm Birth PORT investigators, both in parallel and in collaboration with colleagues in NIH-funded studies examined biochemical markers or predictors of preterm birth. Findings from this work include:
Using data from serum samples of women in studies on risk factors for preterm delivery or term low birthweight, the PORT was able to conclude that the presence of interleukin-6 (IL-6) in the amniotic fluid is associated with an increase in spontaneous labor and may be useful as a predictor (or marker) for upper-genital-tract infection.
Other serum substances (e.g., plasma ferritin levels measured at 26 weeks' gestation) may be useful as predictors of spontaneous preterm birth.

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby alysa » Fri Nov 28, 2003 04:17 pm

by alysa (38 Posts), Fri Nov 28, 2003 04:17 pm

Laura,
I am understanding more that low dose aspirin can be effective in many cases. I'm only commenting my concern mostly about aspirin in the third trimester as considered risky as I have learned it,- or possibly after the 36th week as there are other risks besides the one I mentioned of (possible increased risk of hemorrhage during delivery or bleeding probs. in newborn if taken 2 weeks near delivery is one I also read of -whether this is associated with the low dose therapy I do not know.)-This is only information I have learned of and definitely think people should double check this information if they have any doubts of my information or concerns -

I am starting to get more interested in learning more about aspirin in preg. - I can tell you that!

I don't think by fact that aspirin definitely can cause abruption or any type of seperation of the placenta; also I was stating that hypertension can be a possible risk as well that can cause aburptio placenta - (not aspirin causing hypertension etc.) [;)]
I don't mean to scare or worry anyone by my comments. I know I sound "anti-aspirin", as research goes that's usually always the best info to help to understand the benefits, or risks - if any, & for anyone to make their own decision. I do believe it can be a benefit to certain people in helping to prevent Pree. I also believe that every body reacts differently and always check and be under dr. supervision.
When first reading of low dose aspirin treatment I thought it is good to hear that something can help pree. My learning of any questionable risk- & decision not to take it, is only my personal choice; I'm not against medication when necessary - but personally opt for a natural approach as my first choice. I'm definitely not wanting to worry people who are taking it -maybe it is something that is good for you, and I do not want to interfere. - Especially I don't want to cause stress or worries because stress only increases BP, and that's the last thing I want to do.[:)]

It's good to see a medical report though, regarding aspirin. Thanks, it's helpful for me to see too.

Alysa

Chloe (4)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Postby annegarrett » Fri Nov 28, 2003 04:53 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Fri Nov 28, 2003 04:53 pm

Thanks for the interesting debate. You all will be happy to know you are not alone--the Medical Board has similar (and MORE heated) aspirin debates all the time. Our co-founder is not a big aspirin fan--as major studies have not shown it to very helpful but in smaller studies--there appears to be a group of women that low-dose aspirin helps.

What is key is that as you know--we are each different--I for one would clot so easily that my blood must be like sludge...other women (women with HELLP) would bleed out. I would be most concerned about a woman being put on LDA without a doctor checking her out and running a blood test for thrombophilias. What is clear is that the debate continues and there is no good answer to this damn problem. I wish there was.

Thanks for your input! I think we will have a good panel on this at the conference next summer! What do you all think?

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Previous

Return to Ask the Experienced