Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Blood Pressure Question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Blood Pressure Question

Postby iansmom » Tue Dec 02, 2003 08:16 am

by iansmom (254 Posts), Tue Dec 02, 2003 08:16 am

Ok, for all you "not a doctors" out there[:D], Here is my situation. I'll be 8 weeks tomorrow. From the beginning I have been checking BP every morning - 125ish over 75ish. Before I got pregnant, i checked kind of randomly in the morning - usually 130/80 - probably bc i wasn't as diligent about meds[:(]. Anyway, I rarely checked at night or afternoon, so I don't know if it usually goes up. But now, for some reason (I think I had a headache a couple weeks ago)I decided to check in the afternoon. 135/85-100 every day! So, I called Dr. yesterday, the nurse said no that's not normal come in Thursday. Any thoughts? What do you think i'm gonna have to do (here is the neurosis coming out[:I])? I am on Methyldopa 500 mg 3x day. Dr. says that is a high dosage but can be increased. She also (at first visit) mentioned that we could add calcium channel blockers. We were going to have an appt with peri around 12 weeks to meet him under non-stressful conditions - I wonder if this will change things. By the way - I am not a stressed person - work is easy & fun (usually) I commute one hour - no traffic, so I don't attribute it to daily stress. I have been very tired and I had forgotten how miserably naseous I was all day with first preg. YEAH! All worth it, though!

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks
iansmom

Re : Blood Pressure Question

Postby alysa » Tue Dec 02, 2003 09:24 am

by alysa (38 Posts), Tue Dec 02, 2003 09:24 am

Hi,

I'm probably known here by now to suggest "alternative" - besides, or as well as taking meds. I think having a peri. is definitely good in your circumstance, the post I put - BP Very Healthy.. topic is well worth reading as well as all the replies, you can ask your peri. what he thinks regarding all steps to take to help, it is a good idea to research all the studies and suggestions regarding PIH/Pree. so you can work with your peri./OB. The more you know, the better decisions you can make so you know you're getting good treatment. This site has a lot of helpful information, even searching through this site can help.
Take care,

Alysa

Chloe (Feb 99, born 37 wks PIH)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Postby akemt » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:28 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:28 am

Iansmom,

I would suggest a morning and evening reading (I was taking mine 3 times a day) and keep a log of it. Perhaps you are already doing so...sounds like you are watching closely. A diastolic bp of 100 can cause problems with the placenta so the doctor is wanting to make sure that doesn't happen. I'm glad your doctor is so active about treating you and doesn't seem to be the "wait and see" kind! I personally was not on BP meds untill after delivery so I can't comment on the dosage, etc.

Oh, and I almost forgot...my guess *still not a doctor* is that your bp readings at night are higher (mine were too) because your body simply has to do more work durring the day and that alone adds more stress to an already stressed system.

Hope your apt. on Thursday goes well...definately let us know how things are going!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby iansmom » Mon Dec 08, 2003 06:22 am

by iansmom (254 Posts), Mon Dec 08, 2003 06:22 am

Just an update. At 8wks 1day, I was told to restrict my activities due to BP. I am monitoring it at home and have another appt. scheduled for 18th. However, it has been up all weekend even though I have basically been a couch potato. I have an U/S scheduled today, so I am about to fax her my readings so she can see me if she wants today. I am angry that this is starting so early. We discussed bedrest (sooner than later). She is trying not to increase my meds yet. I remember this from first pregnancy, but that DR. just said "no salt". I am glad we are being proactive now. I feel so jealous of all those "normal" pregnancies. OK, thanks for listening - feel better now!

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks
iansmom

Postby taras mom » Mon Dec 08, 2003 07:04 am

by taras mom (841 Posts), Mon Dec 08, 2003 07:04 am

Proactive is great! You have a lot of options at this point. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Take care!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby twolfgram » Mon Dec 08, 2003 09:51 am

by twolfgram (388 Posts), Mon Dec 08, 2003 09:51 am

Sounds like you're on top of things, I hope the US goes well today!

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - 28 weeks born 10/4/95
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02
twolfgram

Return to Ask the Experienced