Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Least amount of breastmilk with Benefits

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Least amount of breastmilk with Benefits

Postby frasiah » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:04 am

by frasiah (1074 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:04 am

Hi, I am breastfeeding my little girl (she turned 4 months yesterday) and have been having mik supply problems. So far, I can do 2-3 feedings a day on breask milk and would like to know if this is giving her any benefits. Or am I just wasting my time pumping?
Thank you

Frasiah 27
darling hubby 33
Victoria 7/3/03 29 wks due to sev p-e
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Re : Least amount of breastmilk with Benefits

Postby julie f » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:43 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:43 am

Frasiah,

I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to give you better advice but, just wanted to pass on what we were told. After my son's delivery, the NICU staff told us that breastmilk was "liquid gold," especially for preemies. I started pumping and would get very little milk, sometimes only enough to cover the bottom of the little bottle. They told us to bring it to them though because some was better than none. Funny story - the first time I pumped, I maybe got a couple droplets in the bottle. My husband sealed it and ran from my room to the NICU as if he was a carrying a heart prepared for transplant...

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't think you're wasting your time pumping. Hang in there!!

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby angelkat » Tue Nov 04, 2003 03:29 pm

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 03:29 pm

My moto was I am doing the best I can... I was so gun hoe to make sure my daughter got nothing but BM but after a few months I was doing the best I could. I can remember my LC saying, a little is better than nothing! Keep up the good work. You can try to drink some Root Beer as that can help increase some supply....

Good Luck

Mommy to
Drew(12)
Ky (10)
and our Angel Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) forever in our hearts and thoughts
http://www.forevernetwork.com/Archive/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=%2FArchives%2FMountHope&CFID=1089289&CFTOKEN=79068509
angelkat

Postby mariajose » Wed Nov 19, 2003 01:14 pm

by mariajose (5 Posts), Wed Nov 19, 2003 01:14 pm

Hi there!
New member here from Quito- Ecuador. :-)

My son Julian (born 31 and a half weeks due to PE) is going to turn 2 months next week.

I have been struggling with the production of breastmilk since the begging. I Have tried everything! including old wives tales, only to increase production a little bit. As my baby grows, I am trying to nurse him, hoping that he will get enaough food. In any case, I am sure that I may have to use baby's formula from now on.

Is this true for everybody?
mariajose

Postby catherine » Wed Nov 19, 2003 02:36 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Wed Nov 19, 2003 02:36 pm

Hi Mariejose, sometimes it can be a real struggle to breastfeed after preeclampsia. Your body gets quite a "shock". There is a big long thread in the "After your baby is born" section

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=886

where folks have posted all their best tips for maximizing milk production. I've tried the fenugreek and I think that it really worked well (there are all sorts of links in the topic). The reason that I can take the time to reply right now is that I'm pumping in the office for my daughter!!! Don't beat yourself up if you can't do it all by yourself, it's my understanding that even if you can't manage all the calories little Julian needs you'll still be passing on valuable immunity which is pretty important for a preemie.

Welcome to the forum.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby frasiah » Wed Nov 19, 2003 04:55 pm

by frasiah (1074 Posts), Wed Nov 19, 2003 04:55 pm

Hi ladies, I am at the end of the rope with pumping. My supply has continued to decrease every day from about 9oz a day at the highest to about 6-7oz. I have been supplementing for awhile now and Victoria is doing quite well. She has not been sick at all, not even a cold so the little milk is doing good. But I doubt my supply will last much longer. I will not beat myself about it though.... My motto is to do the best I can and pray to God to sustain her.

Take heart, MariaJose.

Frasiah 27
darling hubby 33
Victoria 7/3/03 29 wks due to sev p-e
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby maddiekinsmom » Thu Nov 20, 2003 01:11 pm

by maddiekinsmom (49 Posts), Thu Nov 20, 2003 01:11 pm

Hi -

I know how you feel with the frustration of pumping. I pumped for almost four months and never produced more than 2 oz.each time - except for once, when for some unknown reason I was able to produce 5 oz. Even though my daughter was getting more high calorie formula than breastmilk, I kept it up and think it helped keep her healthy for the 1st 18 months. But it finally got to the point that I began to loathe pumping and each time I pumped all I could "hear" (in my head) was "you're a failure". Once that started happening, I gave up. Although I tried every old wives tale, nothing would increase my production. It finally got to the point that the negatives outwieghed the positives.

You and all moms who try to b'feed and pump, regardless of how long they can continue, deserve a major hug and congratulations.

Hang in there!
Rachel

Rachel
Madeleine 4/8/01 (29 weeker: 1 lb,14oz; severe PE, IUGR)
maddiekinsmom

Return to Parents of Preemies