Post Reply FAQ Members Login

will it happen again?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

will it happen again?

Postby evansmom » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:22 am

by evansmom (144 Posts), Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:22 am

Hi everyone... I just found out I'm pregnant with baby #2 after a traumatic 1st pregnancy. I developed PIH at 27 weeks. Thank god my OB was so concerned and careful, after aldomet, bed rest and mag sulfate, I delivered a healthy boy @ 37 weeks. The only catch was that my BP never went back to normal (was 170/100), and I've been on the beta blocker atenolol ever since. This time, I am extremely anxious due to the fear of developing pre-e again (chances are higher when you have chronic HBP), and the effect of the meds on my baby (the Ob says its okay for now). Any input from experienced moms?
evansmom

Re : will it happen again?

Postby lillysmama » Sat Nov 15, 2003 07:29 pm

by lillysmama (12 Posts), Sat Nov 15, 2003 07:29 pm

Congratulations! I'm 33 weeks pregnant with number 2 also. I ended up delivering my dd at 36 1/2 weeks because of PE. Luckily my blood pressure did go back to normal. So far this pregnancy has actually been better than the last, I really think my dd helps keep me healthy. Not that she doesn't drive me crazy and run me ragged, but looking at her makes the puffy body and other side effects much more bearable. So for me just having my dd has made the second time around better. My BP is still pretty good, I am spilling protein, but I have for most of the pregnancy.

My sister still had high blood pressure after her first and is now 38 weeks pregnant with her second. She's been on blood pressure meds since the beginning and I can't believe how well they have worked for her. She'll deliver within 10 days and every test says she'll have a very healthy baby. I don't know statistics, but I know for a family like mine that has a history of chronic hypertension and PE the second pregnancy has been much better. I also personally feel blood pressure meds can make a huge difference. They do sometimes make babies smaller, but since you are often able to carry the baby longer it seems worthwile to me.

Sorry I don't have a lot of technical information, but I remember how I felt when I first found out I was pregnant again. I feel much more confident now.

Lots of luck and Congratulations!

Lisa
Lilly 1-20-02 36 1/2 wks PE
edd 1-3-04 so far so good!
lillysmama

Postby evansmom » Sun Nov 16, 2003 02:49 pm

by evansmom (144 Posts), Sun Nov 16, 2003 02:49 pm

Thank you for sharing your story, as well as your sisters. It's good to know someone in my situation is having a positive experience. I'm hoping you're right -- hopefully the meds will keep me on the right track! Good luck to you and your sister!

Lauren 27
Evan 12/9/01 (37weeks -pe)
EDD 7/2/04
evansmom

Postby kittenstarcat » Tue Nov 18, 2003 09:05 am

by kittenstarcat (1 Posts), Tue Nov 18, 2003 09:05 am

hi i have jad the dreaded syndrome twice my first baby was born 4 weeks early weighing 5lbs and in my second pregnancy i was 6weeks early weighing 3lbs.[[:(!]:(!]would like to have another baby with my new partner but not sure what to do.iwas told first time around that it was probably caused by mine and my partners genes not mixing properley which caused it then iwas told if you are preeclamptic then you are likely to get it again.so really not sure whether to risk it what do you think?
kittenstarcat

Return to Pregnant Again?