Hellp/PE again in a early stage of pregnancy

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Hellp/PE again in a early stage of pregnancy

Postby terice81575 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 04:54 am

Hi, Terice Again

I am six weeks pregnant again, I lost my son Jorden at 25 wks to severe hellp in june of this year. I wanted to get some feedback from some of the experience/experts, I wanted to know if you can get Hellp/PE again in your early stages of pregnancy or does it happen later in the stages the second time around. I been hearing alot of different stories and I just wanted to hear from the experience/experts.

Thanks again,
Terice
Jorden 6-27-03
25 weeks
Hellp syndrome
terice81575

Re : Hellp/PE again in a early stage of pregnancy

Postby tahoe4 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:38 am

There are no documented cases of pre-e before the 20th week. It can happen any time after that though. Good luck to you!
tahoe4

Postby annegarrett » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:39 am

Just to clarify, the earliest documented case was cited at 18 weeks, but the diagnosis for the disease requires that you be 20 weeks pregnant or later, 3+ proteinuria, and 140/90+ BP. The disease starts much earlier--with the placenta--but rarely shows up until the last half of pregnancy. It does cause IUGR and problems prior to 20 weeks, it just can't be "officially" diagnosed until all those markers are met. Until then, it can be called different things--particularly if you have high blood pressure.

Just being academic. Sorry!

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby mlcinop » Thu Nov 27, 2003 09:32 pm

[:I]Hi Terice,
I have had Hellp twice now, and am now currently 21 wks pg. My first baby was born at 23 wks (13oz) and died shortly after birth and my second was born at 30 wks (2lb,10oz)and spent 9 wks in the NICU. I also have chronic hypertension as a result of the first pregnancy. Because you've had Hellp early in pregnancy you have a higher than average chance of getting it again, but everyone is different. I have met many people who didn't get it again or only had mild PE and delivered much closer to term. Then I've met a few people who've had it twice or more like me. Unfortunately there's no way of knowing, you just have to decide if and when you think you're ready again.

Leslie
due 4/10/04
Claudia,30 wks-4/24/00 Our angel on Earth...
Abigail,23 wks-4/13/96 Our angel in Heaven...
mlcinop

Postby deerhart » Mon Dec 01, 2003 08:58 am

My first pregnancy I had BP readings starting to climb at 12 weeks (my first appointment was at 10 weeks so basically from the start), which was the first warning signs of things to come and the bp's continued to climb throughout the pregnancy.

My second pregnancy my BP shot up in my second trimester and then settled down around 22 weeks only to start going haywire again at 30 weeks.

Most doctors I have seen tend to ignore symptomns that occur prior to 20 weeks, because the medical textbooks say that PE can't be diagnosed prior to 20 weeks. What they try to pass off to patients is that this means you can't have any symptomns before 20 weeks which is bull. You can have many early indicators and warning signs before it shows up and while there isn't much you can do to prevent or stop PE, you may gain valuable time by paying attention to the early indicators (like rising BP, early protien etc..) and taking other steps like increased care, NST's, more frequent u/s, visits, BP meds, baby asprin etc..
I watched my BP go from 125/70 at 10 weeks climbing about 5 poinjts each visit to 140/90 at week 24. I also specifically asked about my BP because I thought it was VERY strange that a person who had NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER had a BP reading over 120/65 had readings of 130/80 and my doctor told me that we would watch it, but that the real concern would be if it hit 140/90.

Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Return to Pregnant Again?