I don't know where else to put this...

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

I don't know where else to put this...

Postby tanjanika » Tue Feb 10, 2004 08:00 pm

Just an interesting little fact.

My son Joshua was conceived via artificial donor insemination, using anonymous donor sperm from a cryobank. He was born at 32wks, emergency c-section, due to Severe Preeclampsia. I didn't know at the time (I only found out a few months ago) that I also developed HELLP Syndrome.

About 3000 miles away, and six months later... Another baby boy was born to a couple at 32 weeks, due to the mother developing Severe pre-eclampsia. They conceived their son via artificial donor insemination, using the same donor that I did. Technically, our sons are half brothers.

Both babies had identical NICU courses, lasting exactly 17 days. Both were ventilated for 48 hours, given surfactant, and oxygen for 5 & 4 days respectively. Both bouncing baby boys have done wonderfully, and continue to develop similarly.

Curious, huh?

Jani & Joshua (6/22/02), 32wkr, Severe Preeclampsia & HELLP Syndrome.
tanjanika

Re : I don't know where else to put this...

Postby raindrop » Tue Feb 10, 2004 08:54 pm

That is weird how that would happen to the both of you. Makes you wonder if it has something to do with the donor huh?

Donna - 32
Richard - 32
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

http://www.cadlefamily.com/
raindrop

Postby angelical » Wed Feb 11, 2004 05:09 am

That is very interesting!

I remember reading somewhere that pree COULD be linked in some way to the man.

You should email that fact to Anne to make sure she sees it. Very very interesting.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Interim President, Pittsburgh area Chapter
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Wife of Kevin
Mother to Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
angelical

Postby sandy » Wed Feb 11, 2004 09:33 am

Wow. This is fascinating. How did you get access to their medical information? (Just curious). Maybe the father does play a role?
sandy

Postby amyk » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:45 am

Yes, I would love to blame my husband for this!

Amy

Chloe (8/6/01) 35 weeks, p/e, hellp
Tristan (9/3/03), 32 weeks, p/e and hellp AGAIN
amyk

Postby tanjanika » Wed Feb 11, 2004 09:11 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Sandy

Wow. This is fascinating. How did you get access to their medical information? (Just curious). Maybe the father does play a role?

LOL!!! I don't have access to their medical records! We met through a donor sibling registry. We used the same bank, and the same donor #. We keep in touch, and will continue to do so until our kids are older and can decide for themselves if they want to continue their relationship. For now, we just talk about how cute our kids are, how alike they are, and how horrible our pregnancies were, LOL!

I read somewhere, can't remember where, about a possible link between the father's sperm, and the onset of preeclampsia. That's why I posted this... My guess is that it has some significance, or else it's the biggest coincidence that I've ever seen.

Jani
tanjanika

Postby kguthrie » Wed Feb 11, 2004 09:39 pm

That is interesting. I had preeclampsia with both of my children. 2 weeks ago my husband's brother's wife deleivered early due to preeclampsia. SOmeone mentioned there is some research to elude to the possibility of being the husband. I would love to know if there is any validity to this?
kguthrie

Return to Parents of Preemies