Post Reply FAQ Members Login

BREWER PREGNANCY DIET AND PRE-E

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

BREWER PREGNANCY DIET AND PRE-E

Postby tafkap » Fri Feb 20, 2004 05:43 pm

by tafkap (591 Posts), Fri Feb 20, 2004 05:43 pm

I just did a random search on google about preeclampsia. I found this link about pre-e and it made me sick.

(editor's note, site address deleted)

I took Bradley classes (and could only complete half because I actually HAD my baby 6 weeks early) and my instructors criticisms is one reason I am in therapy. She told me that if you have enough protein, you don't get preeclampsia. The Bradley Method of childbirth has this same information in their class book.

I have news- I kept DETAILED, WRITTEN LOGS of EVERYTHING I ATE from 6 months until 32 weeks. I had my 80-90 grams of protein since BEFORE becoming pregnant- I even had OB/GYN consults BEFORE becoming pregnant to make sure I was taking prenatal pills and on the right diet for optimum health. I have this visit (and ALL prenatal visits) documented. I wish I would have had a camera on me for my entire pregnancy, but I didn't. Am I doomed to face this attitude in people for the rest of my life? That my baby was born not breathing because of the magnesium sulfate I had because I neglected to eat enough protein???

Would someone please explain this to me? What can be done to stop this information from getting out? Can we do something, anything to stop this? OR is this true?????? If it is false, why is this information still readily available by doing a simple search? Can we do a public boycott of Tom Brewer and his websites?

Sigh. Maybe I'm just too emotional- any response would be appreciated.

Jessica & Corey~ baby #1
Katherine Grace born
10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes PIH/ Pre-E www.coreyandjess.info
tafkap

Re : BREWER PREGNANCY DIET AND PRE-E

Postby akemt » Fri Feb 20, 2004 07:13 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Fri Feb 20, 2004 07:13 pm

Wow Jessica,

I can't beleive people would be so ?ignorant/arrogant? I'm sorry that people are blaming you for what happened; that must be horrible.

I don't know that we've discussed the emotional factors that you have brought up about the brewer's diet in much detail before, but if you do a search for the term brewer, you will be able to get an idea of how those who've been there and done that feel about it.

I too wish there was some way of letting people know more, but that's why we're here...helping to spread what little we know to those who know less.

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby sonja » Fri Feb 20, 2004 07:15 pm

by sonja (5658 Posts), Fri Feb 20, 2004 07:15 pm

I think that you will find all sorts of theories out there about pre-e. The fact is that there does not seem to be any definate answers, and until there is people will always speculate. I am a bit overweight and I know that lots of people attribute my pre-e to that, I just don't waste my breath with people that don't matter, but with people that do I explain what I know. Do not blame yourself, it sounds like you took great care of yourself while pregnant, and even if you had not eaten all of that protein it would not have been your fault anyways. Just enjoy your wonderful little one!

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sarab » Fri Feb 20, 2004 08:26 pm

by sarab (2950 Posts), Fri Feb 20, 2004 08:26 pm

Jessica,

Reading your post makes me so mad! Unfortunately, many people share your Bradley instructor's opinion of the Brewer Diet. [:(!] I have VERY strong feelings about this issue (and they are not positive ones), as do many regulars here on the boards. In fact, if you search the forums for "Brewer Diet" you will find some very heated discussions about it. That's all I'm going to say about it because it gets me all riled up, and it's almost bedtime. [:)]

I will say, though, please don't EVER blame yourself. I remember when you first came to the boards...you did everything you possibly could to avoid pree. You did not bring this on yourself, and I don't think there's anything you, or any others here, could have done to make your outcome any different. I still have to remind myself of that when I have hard days.

Hugs,

Sara, 23
Local Coordinator, Utah

DH, Scott, 25
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Postby lories » Fri Feb 20, 2004 08:46 pm

by lories (66 Posts), Fri Feb 20, 2004 08:46 pm

I just wanted to add that I was told in my Bradley class that a recent Harvard study found that women who ate more than 75 grams of protein a day have no incidence of preeclampsia. I did a number of web searches trying to verify if this was the case, but I couldn't find any outside info on it. However, my husband and I had to stop attending the Bradley class because it was making me feel horribly guilty. I have to say, I still sort of feel that if I'd eaten enough protein from the beginning of the pregnancy, I would not be having blood pressure issues, although I realize there's probably no rational basis for this. And my husband and I have talked about it and, given the fact that we know my blood pressure sometimes goes quite high when I'm stressed, we think an epidural might be the best choice since it's known to keep blood pressures down, and I doubt my blood pressure going through the roof would be best for either me or the baby. I tend to be just as if not more skeptical of the Bradley stuff as I am of certain medical interventions, and the class was just making me feel really really bad. But, I'm still eating at least 80 grams of protein a day, so I guess I'm not convinced that it's not true at all.

Lori (26)
EDD 5/11/04
lories

Postby tafkap » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:20 pm

by tafkap (591 Posts), Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:20 pm

Thank you for the responses. I didn't mean to bring up other feelings-it's so nice to know I'm not the *only* one who feels this way.

I certainly think I've found a mission in life! (LOL!)

Sara- thank you so much. I'm glad to know there are other passionate women out there! [;)]

Catherine- thank you for the tips- I will do the search. HEY! I just saw that you are preggers!! I'm so excited for you!! Congratulations!!

Joy- That's a great attitude! I'm not tiny either... I think I need to post a picture of my Bradley instuctor (the evil one) so we can ALL feel better. She's enormous. (And I say that as someone who is certainly no Kate Moss. Which brings to mind- why ME and not HER but I guess she would tell you it's because she had more protein...[}:)]

Lori- We really wanted a natural birth- but when you are strapped to a monitor and every time you move your blood pressure increases there is very little choice (I'm sure there are women who can labor and give birth without moving, I'm not one of them). I think the epidural rocked. I still remember the doctor who did it. I sent him a Christmas card. [;)]Another Bradley scare tactic is to tell you that children born via the epidural have lower I.Q.'s. Try finding evidence of THAT...

Thank you thank you thank you for your responses. I guess I would just like to have my daughter grow up and when she tells people her Mom had preeclampsia for them not to say "Oh, she didn't have adequate prenatal care" or "she was too fat" or "she didn't eat enough protein".

And since I'm on a soap box- would someone please tell me why my mother in law (who was fairly obese) SMOKED (over a pack a day), drank, and otherwise waltzed through all three of her pregnancies and the delivery of three perfectly healthy, term babies? I guess she too had enough protein...

Jessica & Corey~ baby #1
Katherine Grace born
10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes PIH/ Pre-E www.coreyandjess.info
tafkap

Postby deerhart » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:39 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:39 pm

Jessica,
I almost made it natural through both my labos (almost but not quite!) and in the second one especially didn't move. Hadn't been for the pesky asthma thing, I would have made the second one with no drugs, though I do have to admit the epi's aren't bad at all [:D].

As for the Brewer Diet, well I just won't touch it except to say that they tend to ignore much more concrete evidence of possible causes of PE that have nothing to do with your diet nor can be influneced by your diet. It is also EXTREMELY hard to prove his statements (as they can always say well if you got PE you didn't follow the diet) and from a legal standpoint extremely stupid to make the guarentees they do (because if you can prove you DID follow the diet and still got PE you can sue the pants off of them for giving a 100% guarntee for breech of contract, one of the few medical cases that can be done in this manner instead of medical malpractice). But I digress [}:)]

As for why us and not them, maybe to be slightly philisophical its because somehow we can handle it (even as poorly as we think we do handle it) and they couldn't. Usually at the time I hear my mom touting off at my that God only gives you as much as you can handle I don't believe it, but as time passes and I look back, it does ring somewhat true.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby taras mom » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:46 pm

by taras mom (841 Posts), Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:46 pm

Given the number of nurses and doctors who don't even know preeclampsia when they see it, anyone who claims to be able to prevent it 100% is either lying or seriously deluded. No responsible medical professional would claim that ANY treatment, including a diet, is 100% effective in preventing ANY disorder; it just doesn't happen in living organisms. When Brewer publishes a controlled study supporting his claims in a peer-reviewed journal, I'll be happy to take a look. I'm not holding my breath. Before any Brewer fans get their knickers in a twist, I'll say this: Diet is important, protein is good, and just about everyone could eat better. None of this adds up to 100% prevention.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby laura » Sat Feb 21, 2004 09:52 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Sat Feb 21, 2004 09:52 am

knickers in a twist?[:p] Too funny.

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby denise » Sat Feb 21, 2004 07:45 pm

by denise (5480 Posts), Sat Feb 21, 2004 07:45 pm

Wow, I guess I too new to know about the evils of Bradley. I don't even know if we have these classes around here. I've heard about them from tv, but that's about it. The one thing we don't need is to feel more guilt than what we already put upon ourselves![:(!] I know I've had one person say something about being overweight can cause problems with pregnancy and that maybe I should have lost some before I got prego. Needless to say, I don't ever talk to that person anymore! I also had a conversation with a pregnany couple the other day and was told I was naive because I insisted upon having a baby in the hospital for my pregnancy. Well, it's a good thing I did or we'd probably not be here! They are doing all natural, at home birth and want to avoid the hospital at all. After going through what we did, all I could do was shake my head and say everyone has their own opinions and needs.
Okay, I just went and checked out this guys website. He's out to make a buck right?[?] I would like to see peer-reviewed studies as well as some evidence!

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced