Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:03 am

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby tooleyg » Thu Dec 28, 2006 01:06 am

Sorry for the delay in posting, its been pretty busy here. Now for the update...

We were working on controling the BP with plenty of bed rest, diet, and lots of check ups. Our last check up and lab draw was Dec 21st. We got the results late that night and advised to either check in to the L&D that night or return to the office, where we would most likely be sent to the L&D. We decided to check in that night, at 11:00 pm. My wife was takne back to tirage, a BP taken and was told that she wasn't going to leave pregnant. :) We were 36 weeks and 1 day. My wife was quickly hooked up to MAG and we were transfered to the L&D room. The tried to induce 3 times with protioglandin gels, and the 6 times with Cytotek(sp?). My wife's cervix never got larger than 1 cm dialated. The morning of Dec 23rd the doctor gave us the option of trying piticon, or heading for a C-section. If the piticon didn't start good labor by the afternoon he would have to do a c-section anyway. We opted to skip the piticon and head to the c-section.

Our baby girl, Tabbytha Emily was born on Dec 23rd at 1442. She weighed 6lb 3oz, and 19 1/4 inches long. We were released from the hospital yesterday (Dec 26th) afternoon. Both mom and baby are doing great. Tabbytha didn't have any issues after delviery and was able to spend almost every moment with us in the postpardum room. Mom's BP is still higher than desired so she is on medicine for that and pain meds for the c-section. Even with the meds, breast feeding is going well.

I'm a bit worn out, having to take care of both my wife and daughter, but family and frineds are helping out. :)

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who shared the experiences and advice, as well as kept us in thier prayers. A c-section is pretty different compared to our desired home birth, but a healthy baby and a healthy mom is all that really matters in the end.

Registered User
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:10 am

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby hfwarner3 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 03:45 pm

With PIH, if you can get to 38 weeks and have a ripe cervix, you are ready to induce with no worries. Your baby is probably done with lung development at 37 weeks, but many OBs would like 1 more week to be sure, but getting into the 34+ week range is the major plateau and you are already there. Hopefully, with bedrest and medical attention she can stay away from serious damage to herself and keep providing a healthy environment for your little one.

The doctor can do an amnio and check for lung development. We had to do that with our last one and once the amnio came back saying her little lungs were ready we induced. She was born at 36 weeks and has grown like a weed!

Best wishes and keep us informed. We have been there and know what you are going through.

Registered User
Posts: 5480
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2003 08:03 pm
Location: Central WI

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby denise » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:38 pm

It's great to hear from you and that your wife is hanging in there. Please do keep the symptoms list in mind. And update us when you can. Your family is in our thoughts.

Site Admin
Posts: 2950
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 04:50 pm
Location: Utah

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby sarab » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:16 am

Thank you so much much for the update. I know many of us have been waiting anxiously to hear how things are going with your wife.

It's good to hear that lab results are still normal at this point. I don't think anyone has posted a link to signs and symptoms page yet. To be honest, I think we were all counting on immediate delivery when you mentioned 180/114. Here's the link:


If your wife starts experiencing any of these, PLEASE don't hesitate to get it checked out immediately. How often is she being seen now? Are they planning on doing any repeat labs soon?

I'm sure we must seem like a bunch a zealots to you. [:)] The truth of it is that we are just people who have been there and know first-hand how quickly this disease can go from "not great" to life threatening.

Please keep a close eye on your wife's symptoms, and let us know how you guys are doing.

User avatar
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10203
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:36 am

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby caryn » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 am

It is such a relief to hear that. I even left my cellphone on vibrate during symphony rehearsal. [:)] Please do feel free to post here or call me with any more questions or if you need any help (or company in the hospital, or whatever.)

I'm sure you've seen this by now: the formal diagnostic line for PE is two readings of either of 140/90 six hours apart (she's hit that for certain) and proteinuria of +300 mg/dL in a 24-hour catch. The dipsticks are notoriously unreliable and what they really tell you is to do a 24-hour, because they can be thrown off by things like your wife's level of hydration. Mild PE doesn't require bad bloodwork. One reading over 160/100 (which she's hit) plus proteinuria of 300 means she's got severe PE, as do proteinuria over 5000, bad bloodwork, and a bunch of other symptoms can also mean PE like a bad headache that won't go away with Tylenol, epigastric pain, visual disturbances, etc.

When is her next 24-hour scheduled? Have they done a BPP to check on your daughter?

Please let us know how you get on.

Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:03 am

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby tooleyg » Sat Dec 16, 2006 07:49 am

Sorry for the delay in posting, I'm sure you all know how things like this go. Thank you all for the information and caring and the prayers. We all appreciate it.

Right now my wife's BP is down and stable at 130/80, not great, but for sure lower than it was. The lab results show no problems with the kidneys or the liver. The protein is also in a healthy range. The plan for now is to continue to monitor my wife and the baby. If things stay in healthier ranges then we should be able to wait until full term. Of course if things change induction will follow quickly after.

So at this point we are in a pray and see mode and hopefully things will stay in the healthy ranges.

Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH for everything. I will post again when I get a chance.

User avatar
julie f
Registered User
Posts: 7993
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:56 am

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby julie f » Fri Dec 15, 2006 08:01 pm


I can't offer any new advice but just wanted to jump on and say that my prayers are with you guys. I hope that you're being seen as I type.

Registered User
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 09:58 am

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby sandy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 01:30 am

As you find the time, will you please post back and let us know how things are going?

You and your wife are in our thoughts.

User avatar
Registered User
Posts: 2525
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2003 01:58 pm
Location: Lake Stevens, Washington

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby annegarrett » Thu Dec 14, 2006 08:36 pm


I sent you a private email but wanted to also openly "push" you to go in now. I had NO signs other than 140/90 and a slight bit of proteinuria at 38 weeks and they decided to deliver. 12 hours later I was having kidney failure. Frankly, new proteinuria is a sign of serious damage to the kidneys. It's considered a "late-stage" symptom--meaning that by the time you get proteinuria--you are already very very sick. As I said in my email (and say now for the benefit of others who might be in a similar situation)--this post is possible the most frightening one I have ever seen in my six years doing this work. None of those pressures are safe and I would urge you to get her to the hospital. At least there they can check the baby, check her proteinuria, her liver enzymes and give you more information than you have right now. Right now every hour is a gamble and it's concerning to us. We are only being pushy with you because it is our hope that you can avoid some of our more tragic experiences by getting good care as soon as possible.

Also, I had a baby just prior to 36 weeks and he didn't require a day of NICU. Was a bit scrawny--5#5 oz but I have learned from my work here that so many women would kill to bring home a healthy, scrawny little guy who is breathing fine and only needed his blood sugars monitored for 12 hours.

We do wish you the best--but urge you to get a second opinion--this evening. It could save your baby and possibly your wife.

Registered User
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:24 am

Re : Wife just diagnosed with PE, what to do?

Postby blythe » Thu Dec 14, 2006 07:05 pm

I'll echo everyone else and say this is sadly serious and with natural birth hopes it really stinks.

I planned a non-intervention hospital birth for my first, but after my bp went consistently into the 140/90s in week 36, my doctor decided to induce at 37 weeks. My little guy was growth-retarded, though, and along with other complications ended up spending 4 days in the NICU. I did, however, avoid an epidural despite the mag (magnesium sulfate / mgs04 - prevents seizures from PE and CAN have nasty short-term side effects of nausea, extreme muscle weakness, mental confusion... but some women have no problem with it, so it's not guaranteed to be horrible if your wife needs it, and if she does need it, it is life-saving.)

My second birth was much better, amazingly so, but I had all kinds of contingency plans if I needed more intervention. I'm also happy to talk to you or your wife more on email or phone - email me through the forum if you're not already at the hospital!

In general, I thought very hard about what was most important to me in the birth experience and how the necessary interventions might impact my birth hopes. You may have vastly different reasons for wanting a home birth, but I can share my experience and hope it gives you some ideas.

Healthy mom and baby are at the top of the list, which I know are #1 for you also. This is also #1 for the medical people. It was very hard but very important for me to remember that when they were doing things to me I didn't want!

After that, I needed as much information as possible about the complications and the medical treatment plan. Sometimes in PE even that is not possible because the doctors need to move very fast. Does your midwife have hospital privledges, or at least hospital training? I would want her along as a doula instead of a midwife, a support person to explain what is happening if the doctors and nurses don't have time.

I wanted to avoid an epidural and other interventions because I wanted freedom of movement. With high bps, I knew I might be confined to labor on my left side to keep blood flow to the baby. You can still use relaxation techniques in bed - it's harder, but it can be done! Sometimes an epidural is necessary to bring bp lower, out of stroke range. I wasn't thrilled with this possibility - but knew it might be life-saving.

I wanted to have immediate skin-to-skin contact with the baby. I did not get that with my first baby, partially because of my doctor. For my second baby, I emphasized to my doctor how important that was to me, always adding that if the baby needed immediate care, the baby's health was obviously my priority. Depending on baby's health and mom's health at the time of birth, I knew I might have no contact, or only a few seconds or minutes of contact. I emphasized my hopes to my doctor and had to trust that she would help meet my emotional need for contact only if safely possible.

I wanted to breastfeed. I pumped for 9 weeks before my firstborn learned to nurse, so I knew I could do that again - I just didn't want to. I let my doctor and nurses and nursery staff know my hopes, and had to trust they would help me if the baby's health meant breastfeeding would have to wait.

I would recommend making a very short list of birth hopes. Again, if you'd like to email me privately I can share more of what - *in my limited experience* - is likely to be possible or not possible. I did massive birth planning for #2, and have some specific suggestions [:)]:

start with a short sentence about 'our birth plans have changed, we know mom's bp is serious, we are very happy to be at this hospital to ensure a healhty mom and healthy baby.' Butter them up with how grateful you are for their excellent training and medical and individual care! Personally, I wouldn't mention your home-birth plans... Then, 'we know the seriousness of mom's condition. we hope the follow things may still be possible": I'd list 3-5. For *ME*, they were:

honest and complete information about complications and prognosis and treatment plan

please don't offer pain medicine, I will ask for it if I need it - I appreciate other coping advice!

prefer a natural tear to an episiotomy – thank you for your help avoiding either!

immediate and continuous skin to skin contact with baby if mom and baby are healthy

if emergency separation is necessary, kangaroo care as soon as possible

finger feeding if supplementary formula or pumped breastmilk is necessary – please teach us!

Well, I have 6 [;)]. Good luck. You have my sympathies and highest hopes for healthy mom and baby, and a happy birth experience would be icing on that cake!

Return to “Dads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests