Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Week of hell- I hope my baby boy will be ok

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Week of hell- I hope my baby boy will be ok

Postby jeff144 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:08 am

Hi everyone. I just found this site after some very rough days.

My wife was 29 1/2 weeks pregnant and went to her routine OB appt last Tuesday. Her BP, which has always been in the borderline (but never high) 125/70 range, was slightly elevated to the 135/80 range throughout the first 28 weeks of her pregnancy. But on this visit, they voted an elevation to 140/90, and ordered her immediately to the hospital for fear that she was developiong pre-e. A tearful phone call to me followed, and within an hour she was checked into the hospital. Tests followed. Possible early stage pre-e because definite "severe" pre-e. Our little boy was actually about 2 weeks behind in growth for his size, and they suspected the pre-e was denying him the nutrients that he needed to grow properly. They said, based on his excellent stats, they suspected they were just at the point at which he had to be delivered. No irreperable damage had been done, they insisted, but if he didn't come out now it may not stay that way. So, my wife begain the steroid injections on Wednesday, and last Thursday, we were scheduled for a Friday 1pm cesarian at just about 30 weeks to bring our little boy into, hopefully, a better place for him to grow strong.

The cesarian was difficult for her, but my wife did great and the baby, while a small 2lbs 1 oz, was surpisingly in very good health. They say he's a * of a fighter, and that he is a 36 month old baby in a 30 month old body. He scored a remarkably high 8 and then 9 on his APGAR, and after 3 days pulled out his vent and is now down to an oxy mask, breathing primarily on his own. He'll be there for a good 8 weeks, at least, and despite the fact that we have been repeatedly assured that the danger zone is past, and he is expected to be just fine, we are emotional wrecks having him in that NICU.

My wife is healing, but I am still concerned about her BP. We were told that having the baby would get her BP back to normal, but it has actually since elevated, now to a level approaching 160 over 100. The doctors are reassuring that this will be ok, and that they can control her with meds temporarily if need be, but it still worries me.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story with you all in case anyone has gone through anything similar. This has been, without a doubt, the hardest week of my life and I can only hope they get easier from here.

Thanks, and glad to find this place...
jeff144

Re : Week of hell- I hope my baby boy will be ok

Postby julie f » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:19 am

I am so sorry for what you and your wife have had to go through, preeclampsia is a horrible disease... You will find much support and information here from men and women who have lived through this.

I am happy to read that your son is doing well, that is great news. I will pray that he experiences only smooth sailing in his NICU days.

As for your wife, I am sorry that she is still continuing to experience bp issues. Unfortunately for some women, preeclampsia will unmask chronic hypertension. It may very well need to be controlled with meds for some time, if not permanently.

Please keep us updated on your wife and little boy, my prayers go out to your family.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby angelkat » Mon Jun 28, 2004 01:24 pm

Welcome to the forum.. Congrats on your son and I'm so glad that he is doing so well!...

Hang in there as the NICU can be a bumpy ride!!

Sending you HUGE HUGS

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby frasiah » Mon Jun 28, 2004 02:53 pm

Do not despire. While this is obvioulsy a very trying time, there are many of us rooting for you and your wife and the little boy. I wish you well and hope that your comes home sooner rather than later. As for your wife, continued consultation with your dr is important to make sure the bp is controlled even if with meds. I have been on meds since my daughter was born at 29 weeks last July dues to sev PE. But my bp is now very well controlled so the meds do help. May God continue to watch over you and your family.

Frasiah
DD sev PE
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Postby sandy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 05:14 pm

Hi Jeff144 and welcome.
My goodness. There went the expectations of a happy, celebratory, full-term birth of your son.

It sounds like he really is a fighter! I'm very sorry about it all going not like you had probably imagined.

It broke my and my DH's hearts to have our baby girl in the NICU, separated from us for weeks after she was born. No matter what anyone says, I'm not sure there is anything that will help you feel alright that he's there. Know that the nurses in the NICU are top-notch, they have experience working with little babies and parents in your situation, and that they are there to help your son and you, his family. Ask as many questions of them as you would like.

Hang in there. I'm yet another one here who is pulling for your little guy and your family. Sending wishes to you that your son's NICU stay is a short one, and that your wife's health improves quickly.

Please send us an update when you feel up to doing so.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently trying to catch an egg...
sandy

Postby sandy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 05:18 pm

PS: When you feel up to it, here are some "pointers" for parents of preemies...in and then out of the NICU.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently trying to catch an egg...
sandy

Postby jaxsmom » Mon Jun 28, 2004 05:55 pm

Hi

Glad u found us.... Welcome.. This is a wonderful place everyone here is very supportive...

Congratulations on your son, very happy to hear he is doing so well in the NICU.... Hoping his stay in NICU is very short and he will be comming home really soon.. Pls keep us posted..

Cheers
Dana [:)]

Jaxon's Mommy
Born June 25, 2003 @ 34 weeks 4.6 lbs; PIH, elevated liver enzymes & IUGR
jaxsmom

Postby susan belisle » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:37 am

Sounds like you are a good father and loving husband. My daughter was born at 30 weeks as well. During delivery my bp was up around 225/120. So it is a scary place to be. Carly weighed 3lbs 6 oz at birth and went down to 3 for the first 4 days. Then once she could eat she gained about a ounce a day. They told us that she would be in the NICU until her due date which is actually today! June 30th! But she came home after 5 weeks. Her aptguard test was a 9. There is a check list that they have to meet in order to come home. You will learn more as your son grows. One stress at a time [;)].

I don't remember all of them but there are 4. 1 is the weight, 4 lbs is the minium? Another is self feeding and then there is the No Bradies for a week rule. I have no idea what the other one is. But again you will learn more in time. After my daughter was born it took me 8 weeks to control my bp and I now have cronic high bp. I also got post tramatic stress and needed Zoloft for a year to fight off the depression. Great stuff.

Being a new parent is a lot to handle on it's own and now you have unforseen bumps in your life plan. My NICU Dr. once said to me you don't see any one here ready for college do you? NICU babies do grow up and live happy normal lives. Just take it one day at a time.

Glad to here from a pround PAPA!

Susan
Interuption 06/23/01 @20 wks
Carly 04/24/02 30 wks 3lbs 6 oz
ttc again with pg induced hypertention
susan belisle

Return to Dads