Preemies who aren't so preemie anymore!

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
deerhart

Preemies who aren't so preemie anymore!

Postby deerhart » Fri Jul 16, 2004 09:46 am

Wow how has time flied, this forum has been up for a while now and many of our preemies, aren't quite preemies anymore!

I wanted make a post focusing more on what parents of older preemies may be facing as our kids grow out of baby/toddler hood and approach preschool and school age.

I know I for one am dealing with a speech and social delay with my oldest child, plus a barrage of evaluations to rule out PDD and ADD, plus we have entered behavior therapy to try to find ways for us to better disicpline him. We are also watching Mason like a hawk becuase we know that delays tend to run in families and with boys.

It can be a very frustrating and lonely thing to do becuase many times there are no answers and everyone you know has an opinion and likes to share it regardless of whether you want to hear it. Also, people can say very very mean things which make an already harder situation more difficult. We have dropped most of our social life because its easier to stay home then to try to take Alex out most of the time, but it is getting better as he gets older.

Now our focus is taking the next year to get him ready to start kindergarten in the regular class and continuing to improve his speech and social skills.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go

Return to “Parents of Preemies”