Post Reply FAQ Members Login

12 weeks, +2 protien in urine, Bp elevated

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : 12 weeks, +2 protien in urine, Bp elevated

Postby ileana » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:48 am

by ileana (1010 Posts), Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:48 am

Meg,

The way I understand it is the following:

- Preeclampsia is a disease of the placenta. The baby is starting to use the placenta around 12w. This is why some babies do great until 12-14w, but get IUGR after that. This is most sure a sign of preeclampsia.

- Preeclampsia cannot be tested on its own, but having this disease usually causes HBP OR labile HBP (going up and down) and it affects the kidneys: protein in urine. They say that you have preeclamsia when you have HBP higher than 140/90 and protein in urine over 300mg in 24h after 20w. This is a technical definition to help doctors disgnose it. It is symptomatic and it sometimes is an overdiagnose (its a blanket to make sure that none of us will get eclampsia or severe pree unexpectedly)

- The same symptoms can be caused by chronic hypertension, kidney diseases or other problems. These are issues on their own, especially hypertension that can affect the vessels in the placenta and cause the preeclampsia, so they need to be taken just as seriously and treated. They also mean you are at greater risk for preeclampsia. Preeclampsia on top of any of these conditions is called superimposed pree and it's really dangerous. (I imagine that diagnosing superimposed pree, when you already have the HBP and the protein from a previous condition, means that the baby has IUGR or other problems with the placenta or baby, like too little amniotic fluid. These issues are visible on US)

I am not a doctor, I think the above is what I understood about this disease, and I welcome anyone to add more info or correct me if I'm wrong.

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Postby sdrcornejo » Wed Dec 17, 2003 00:46 am

by sdrcornejo (2 Posts), Wed Dec 17, 2003 00:46 am

Hi, this is my first time at any forum actually, but I really feel the need to talk about my experience, and I can't find anybody to listen.

One week ago today, I gave birth to my angel Nathan Scott. I just found out one week prior to that that I was pregnant.
I was in the hospital because my blood pressure was so high, and we couldn't get it down. During an MRI the tech told me I had something in my pelvis, had bloodwork done, and it confirmed I was pregnant.

I was sent home, and 2 days later went to an OB to start mt prenatal doctors visits. She did an ultrasound, and determined I was 4 or 5 weeks pregnant, but referred me to a perinatologist because of my high blood pressure and diabetes.

The next day I went to see the Perinatologist, and had another ultrasound...he said I was 23 weeks pregnant, but my baby had no heartbeat. That was the hardest thing for me to hear, especially since I was told I was 4 or 5 weeks pregnant.

This happened on Wed. The doctor set me up to come in on the following Monday to deliver, so he could have a fwe days to get my blood pressure down.

On Monday, I went into Labor and Delivery and I was put in a birthing room and the induction was started. The next morning my contractions were pretty bad, and my water broke. Up until now, everything went ok. The delivery was wierd. My son was so small that after my water broke, he just kind of slid out, but his head was a bit large, so it was stuck. The doctor said I just had to wait until I dialated more.
sdrcornejo

Postby sdrcornejo » Wed Dec 17, 2003 00:55 am

by sdrcornejo (2 Posts), Wed Dec 17, 2003 00:55 am

a few minutes and 2 or 3 contractions later, I delivered my son. The doctor said I had a boy, and asked if I wanted a description. He said the baby looked good. No deformaties or abnormalities. Soon, the doctor was gone.
The nurse asked if I wanted to see him. I was not ready for that, so she said she would keep him in the room for a couple hours in case I changed my mind. This is what really bugs me, she wrapped my son in a blue paper "chucks" pad, and set him in a corner of the room, like a piece of garbage. She didn't keep him there for a couple hours either, I delivered him at 9:30am. He was wrapped in this paper chucks until the new shift came on, got report and came in to check on me at 8:30 pm.
I understand that my son never had a chance to live and breathe, but I still love him with all my heart, and I was having a hard enough time with his death , but this insensitive act on the part of the nurse was uncalled for. I hope nobody else ever goes through this.
sdrcornejo

Postby catherine » Wed Dec 17, 2003 06:21 am

by catherine (2832 Posts), Wed Dec 17, 2003 06:21 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what it must feel like to find out that you are pregnant and then for everything else to follow along so fast.

I do know that there are many women who post here at the forum who have suffered such sad losses and understand how badly you need to talk about what happened to you and about your son. Every child is so precious, no matter how long they are with us.

If you try looking in the "grief and loss" part of the forum you can post directly or just let us know if you would like someone to email you?

Hugs

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby frasiah » Wed Dec 17, 2003 06:22 am

by frasiah (1074 Posts), Wed Dec 17, 2003 06:22 am

Sdrcornejo, I am so sorry for your grief aand cannot even begin to imagine how you are feeling. It is also so saddening the way the nurse treated your little boy. Please know that your are on this forum are many people who will understand your pain and offer their 'shoulders.' Again, I am so sorry that you ahve lost your son and can only pray God's blesses be with you.

Frasiah 27
darling hubby 33
Victoria 7/3/03 29 wks due to sev p-e
frasiah
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Ask the Experienced