Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Post partem eclampsia/ infant reflux/ dizziness

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Post partem eclampsia/ infant reflux/ dizziness

Postby szavella » Thu Jan 01, 2004 01:41 pm

by szavella (5 Posts), Thu Jan 01, 2004 01:41 pm

I am wondering how many moms have problems with their child after birth. I had 2 seizures 4 days after delivery. My daughter then appeared to be having seizures at 2 weeks of life. She was diagnosed with Sandifers Syndrome and has had 2 abnormal EEGs also.

I also have been having many dizzy spells ever since delivery and assumed it was the blood pressure medicine. I have now been off of that for 2 weeks and still feel dizzy. Does this sound normal?
szavella

Re : Post partem eclampsia/ infant reflux/ dizziness

Postby akemt » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:17 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:17 pm

Sza,

No, it does not sound normal. I would talk to your doctor about it. It could be something as simple to treat as being anemic and taking iron pills, but you don't want to be having dizzy spells and possibly passing out. Especially while caring for a baby. Congratulations on getting off the BP meds! And congratulations on the baby too!

My daughters only health problem is a lactose intolerance, so no I haven't had any real health issues. You might ask that question in the preemies forum as many women there are quite familiar with dealing with health problems in babies. Hopefully they can help.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby annegarrett » Fri Jan 02, 2004 09:26 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Fri Jan 02, 2004 09:26 am

How long has it been since you delivered the baby? I am not sure if your question is about your ongoing dizziness, or your baby's health, or your post-partum strokes?

Post-partum eclampsia is very normal part of the disease--unfortunately.
Your ongoing dizziness--could be just fatigue, anemia, or low blood sugar--could be something else. If you are getting a lot of sleep, eating well, and taking your iron supplement--and still dizzy--I would check it out with your doctor.
We can't give medical advice so when in doubt--go see the doctor.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby szavella » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:00 am

by szavella (5 Posts), Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:00 am

My daughter is now 4 months old. It has been ongoing dizziness the whole time. My EEG was normal and like I said, I am off the medicine now. I sleep pretty well (6-7 hours a night) and try to eat well. My OB assumed it was the meds but I haven't seen a dr. since getting off. I think maybe I will set up an app't with my regular doctor. Like most of you, I lost my licence from the seizures, so getting to the doctor's is really hard!! I try to remind myself though that I need to learn to take care of myself!
szavella

Postby laura » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:57 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:57 am

You lost your license? OMG- that's awful! But you only got them in context of pregnancy, can't they do something about that?

my goodness, let us know how it goes, huh?[:)]

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby maxs mom » Fri Jan 02, 2004 03:37 pm

by maxs mom (594 Posts), Fri Jan 02, 2004 03:37 pm

How many weeks gestation was your daughter when she was born, how much did she weigh etc?

I have not heard of Sandifers Syndrome before. What is that? My son being born at 25 weeks has a few lingering problems, but is doing pretty great now. I really hope your daughter is doing well now!

Kara
Max, 25 wk, IUGR, 1/20/03, severe PE
maxs mom

Postby szavella » Sat Jan 03, 2004 07:11 am

by szavella (5 Posts), Sat Jan 03, 2004 07:11 am

I live in Florida where the law is no driving for 6 months after a seizure! Only 2 months to go! Because I had seizures as a baby and then eclampsia, the neurologist is afraid I may become epileptic. My daughter was born at 36 1/2 weeks and weighed 7 lbs .5 oz Reflux is a major problem with her and of course the abnormal EEG's.

Katherine, can the abnormal EEGs be from the Sandifer's or could my daughter also be having seizure activity? (like mother like daughter) THANKS!!!!!
szavella

Postby szavella » Tue Jan 06, 2004 08:53 am

by szavella (5 Posts), Tue Jan 06, 2004 08:53 am

February 27th and counting the days. Thanks for your reply!
szavella

Return to Ask the Experienced