Thanks Dads

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Thanks Dads

Postby halo79rn » Wed Jan 17, 2007 00:05 am

I just want to first say, kudos to all of those supportive dads/hubbies out there! You don't know what a great support you are to your wives and babies.

My husband has been wonderful. He stayed so strong during our entire pg (esp that rough 3rd tri when we were monitored so closely), through the rough induction and delivery and difficulties bf'ing and ppd... so great... I fear I neglected him during that time though. We talk about it. I used to complain that I had no pictures of dd's first day (I was out of it and don't remember much of the day)and would stress about me and my guilt and all of the issues that only I saw. In the meanwhile dh's OCD has flared up, he is seeking out therapy... and he's finally admitted some of the fear and feelings he has experienced during our pree experience. We are able to talk about it now, almost a year later. Me with a clearer head and able to focus on his feelings too. And I have to say, I wish I could have been there more for him.

But you dads/ husbands... you really are something else! God bless you all. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate my husband now.
halo79rn

Re : Thanks Dads

Postby anathor21 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 09:43 am

I see that many have read and likely others have been Dads... yet no replies.

Likely because others, like myself, are unsure how best to respond so I'll try - not that I can speak for anyone else [:)].

Thanks for the acknowledgement!

I do hope that your DH sees your post - he's the one who deserves to hear from you the most. Although many of us men may not appear to get excited about a note or card given to us in thanks or such, you may be surprised how long they get saved and carried around by some folks - it does mean a lot.
anathor21

Postby halo79rn » Wed Jan 17, 2007 01:02 pm

Oh I do thank my husband often... it wasn't until about 7 or 8 months post partum that we were able to really talk it all out, from his perspective too. It's such a relief to hear his view of the event.

I just want the dads to know that even if in the immediate they don't feel appreciated, that they are. Sometimes it just takes time for it all to become clear and for the mom to be able to express that gratitude.
halo79rn

Postby blythe » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:23 am

I'll add my thanks to the dads, too!

I also found this link I thought might be helpful to dads - on how a traumatic childbirth can affect dads, too.

http://www.birthtraumaassociation.org.uk/help_pandf.htm

blythe

Return to Dads