a little confused...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

a little confused...

Postby barbra » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:52 am

Hello. I have a question about HELLP. I was never told I had it with my severe preeclampsia in my second pregnancy but do remember the doctors mentioning my platelets and enzymes being bad, so I assume I did have it. I had been having some pain on my right side but nothing consistant and it totally went away when I got in the hospital on bedrest. Am I correct in what I read here that chances of getting HELLP again is less than 5%? This experience was so frightening for me-I couldn't even google 'preeclampsia' cuz I was still so freaked out over the whole thing. Now, 2 years later, I'm pregnant again with elevated bp starting wk 20. It is in control now with labatelol and I think that facing my fears by taking my own bp at home and reading these forums have helped me tons!Thank you!
barbra

Re : a little confused...

Postby sonja » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:48 am

I don't have any info on HELP - but I am in the same place as you - 24 weeks along and on Atenolol for slightly elevated bp's and a high pulse - you are right , this site will really help you. Good luck.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : a little confused...

Postby akemt » Fri Feb 20, 2004 02:15 pm

I would tend to trust the medical board here, but that's me and I'm no expert myself! My suggestion would be to get your medical records from your previous pregnancy and go over them with your doctor (preferably perinatologist) to see if you really did have HELLP syndrome in your last pregnancy. A doctor who knows your history will be able to make a more educated guess as to what your chances are for a recurrance.

The thing to remember with those HELLP stats is that while the chance of getting HELLP again is quite low, the chance of getting pre-e again is fairly good. Just be sure you are diligent about getting good care. Best of luck for a long pregnancy!

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Return to Pregnant Again?