Locked FAQ Members Login

Long term effects of pre-eclampsia on heart?

Do you have a burning question you just have to ask our Medical Board Experts about hypertensive pregnancies? Please email your question to expert@preeclampsia.org Keep in mind, however, that we won't be able to answer every question and our docs can't offer medical advice and won't be able to comment on specific medical cases.

Long term effects of pre-eclampsia on heart?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Mar 01, 2007 02:00 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Thu Mar 01, 2007 02:00 pm

I'm curious to know if pre-eclampsia has any known long term effects even after the condition has been resolved. For example, I was a healthy 23 year old when I got pregnant and was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia at about 22 weeks. I was able to wait until 37 weeks to deliver but had several complications along the way. After a c-section delivery, all was well in the end for both me & my daughter. However a few years later and out of the blue I was having palpitations. The cardiologist ordered several tests including an echocardiogram which showed a slightly enlarged right ventricle. Since I've never had any heart or blood pressure problems excluding the pre-eclampsia, could that have contributed to having an enlarged right ventricle? Thanks for any input you can offer.
expert@preeclampsia.org

Re : Long term effects of pre-eclampsia on heart?

Postby expert@preeclampsia.org » Thu Mar 01, 2007 02:01 pm

by expert@preeclampsia.org (322 Posts), Thu Mar 01, 2007 02:01 pm

Preeclampsia would not cause you to have an enlarged right ventricle. It is important to know why the ventricle is enlarged. You should ask if your pulmonary pressures are normal (the blood pressure on the right side of the heart.)
expert@preeclampsia.org

Return to Ask the Experts