Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Post-partum blood pressure problems & breastfeedin

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Post-partum blood pressure problems & breastfeedin

Postby christine0125 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 01:19 pm

by christine0125 (2 Posts), Wed Jan 07, 2004 01:19 pm

Hi... this question is not related to pre-eclampsia, but I was hoping you could help me with blood pressure questions. I have had high blood pressure for several years and on a variety of medicines. When I was pregnant I was on methyldopa 250 mg 3x day and I had no problems at all -- in fact my blood pressure was wonderful! Now I'm 10 weeks post-partum and my blood pressure is spiking (150/100 approx). I'm breastfeeding and want to know what medications are safe -- I see a Nurse Practicioner and I don't think she's up on all the medications (I probably need to switch doctors). Thanks so much for any reply. I'm nervous about it because I go back to work in a week and a half and would like to get it under control.

Christine
christine0125

Re : Post-partum blood pressure problems & breastfeedin

Postby akemt » Wed Jan 07, 2004 02:00 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Wed Jan 07, 2004 02:00 pm

Christine,

I was on one medication after delivery, but I beleive it was more of a water pill? It was called HCTZ and my OB said it was considered safe while breastfeeding. He had a little book he looked meds up in to find out. I'm not much help on this subject, but others have gone through something similar and will respond soon!

Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby maxs mom » Wed Jan 07, 2004 02:14 pm

by maxs mom (594 Posts), Wed Jan 07, 2004 02:14 pm

I was on Labatelol for HBP for about 6-8 weeks after I delivered. The docs knew I was breastfeeding, so I assume it was safe. You may want to ask about it.

Kara (33)
DH, John (35)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/
maxs mom

Postby jsilvas » Wed Jan 07, 2004 03:14 pm

by jsilvas (15 Posts), Wed Jan 07, 2004 03:14 pm

I was also on Labetalol for a few weeks after this last delivery. My doc also knew I was breastfeeding. I was just reading an interesting article yesterday from La Leche League because I have had a cough for three weeks now and was wondering how much medication really affects the breast milk. Here's the article:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBNovDec03p204.html

I'm thinking about getting the book they mention in the article by Thomas Hale. But maybe I'll just go look it up at the bookstore when necessary. [:)]

Jeanette - 29
Louis - 31
Ethan - 6/8/98 (36 weeks 4 days - PIH)
Ella - 10/3/03 (36 weeks 6 days - PIH)
jsilvas

Postby laura » Wed Jan 07, 2004 03:20 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Wed Jan 07, 2004 03:20 pm

Jeanette! How are you?! How's that baby?

it's interesting you mention Hale- I just got an email his office- they're doing ongoing studies about medications and breastmilk- and I was on a med and had volunteered to donate breaskmilk to study- but alas, alack- insufficient supply, no milk from me.

I think the general rule of thumb is most of the antihypertensives safe for pregnancy are also safe for breastfeeding- definitely beta blockers like the methyldopa and labetatol and I was given atenolol while breastfeeding, too.

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby christine0125 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 03:41 pm

by christine0125 (2 Posts), Wed Jan 07, 2004 03:41 pm

Thank you all for your replys!!! I knew I could come here for answers. I was a frequent lurker in the beginning of my pregnancy since I was told I was at such high risk for pre-e. I think I'll talk to my NP tomorrow and see if she can add labetalol. Before pregnancy, my bp seemed to do much better when I was on a combination of drugs.

This may also sound like a strange question (note: I have absolutely no medical background). Since my BP is so high when not pregnant and so great when pregnant, could it possibly be that my BP problem is somehow hormone related? I'm sort of a mystery to doctors because I'm not your typical hypertension patient (normal weight, I exercise, eat well, & overall healthy in all other aspects)

Thanks again...
Christine
www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/ckbaby
christine0125

Postby jsilvas » Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:25 pm

by jsilvas (15 Posts), Thu Jan 08, 2004 03:25 pm

Laura, we are all great, besides both baby and me having this cough. [:(] She is three months now and we couldn't have asked for a sweeter baby. So different from my son!!!! (but he is a sweetie too. . .even with what he put us through as a baby!) I haven't had a chance to do a web site yet, but my husband started one. . . just no pictures yet. I've been back at work for a month now and Dad is home taking care of the kids while working from home part time. He's a natural. Me and the ol' pump have gotten reaquainted and it's working out well. And I'm off blood pressure medication!!!!

Christine, Erin is adorable. I don't know about the hormone question.

Jeanette - 29
Louis - 31
Ethan - 6/8/98 (36 weeks 4 days - PIH)
Ella - 10/3/03 (36 weeks 6 days - PIH)
jsilvas

Return to Ask the Experienced