Calling All Mom's of Micro Preemies

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
bhargavidd

Re : Calling All Mom's of Micro Preemies

Postby bhargavidd » Wed Jan 07, 2004 09:14 pm

Hi! My daughter, Karuna Sindhu, was born on December 15, 2003 at 25w6d. She weighed 1 pound 3 ounces and was 12 inches long. She is currently in NICU but is doing well! I look forward to interacting with you!

Bhargavi.

Mommy to Karuna Sindhu, born 1 pound 3 ounces at 25w6d.

aimeejane

Re : Calling All Mom's of Micro Preemies

Postby aimeejane » Wed Dec 31, 2003 03:18 pm

Kara, your experience sounds right on to me! Nicky (28 weeks, 1 lb 10oz) was 6-and-a-half months developmentally at his first birthday. Thankfully, getting into the state therapy programs 5 months later (MUCH too late - we should've started before he turned one!) helped him immensely in catching up.

Differences: He gave up baby foods at about 10 mos., after 6 months of chowing down on them...that's when he gave up sleeping through the night, too, which he didn't begin again until after his third birthday. The one long-term effect we think we're seeing is a possibility of ADHD. He'll be 4 in March, so it may be impossible to know for sure for awhile, but my instincts are pretty strong on this issue.

Hmm...how we managed through the challenges. One day at a time? I didn't know any differently, since he was my first child. However, I had one or two panic attacks during Kalen's pregnancy, since it's rather daunting from the front end. Sometimes I look back and wonder how we did do it without any long-lasting scars, but think we were given exactly what we could handle.

Gotta run...boy #2 is wanting some dinner! Take care!

Aimee - 28
Dh - 30
Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)

maxs mom

Calling All Mom's of Micro Preemies

Postby maxs mom » Wed Dec 31, 2003 02:10 pm

I hate to be exclusive, but I would really like to get to know some of you out there with micro preemies. I had a 25 weeker on 1/20/03 due to severe PE. He was IUGR weighing 1lb 3ozs. He had what I feel was a typical micro preemie NICU stay with 12 blood transfusions, 3 staph infections, intubated for 10 weeks (maybe a little long), CLD, endocriditis (not common at all), pulmunary stenosis (probaly not that common), jaundice, Stage 3 ROP (now resolved, yeah!) the list goes on.

Max is coming up on his first birthday and I feel we have challenges that not all other preemies have, but probably what a lot of other micro-preemies have. He is still small, his motor skills are delayed (just hitting 6 month milestones), and he HATES his bottle (ok with pureed foods though). On the positive side, he is health, his pulmonary stenosis has improved, he loves his naps and sleeping (always has) and he is an extremly good natured happy baby (all of the NICU nurses told us micro-preemies are very tempremental, so we brought him home and waited for him to change, but he never did [:D])

I would love to hear some of your stories and especially some of your challenges and how you managed through them.
Thanks!

Kara
Mom to Max, 25 weeker, 1/20/03

Return to “Parents of Preemies”