Is it normal to be so scared?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
jenn
Forum Moderator

Re : Is it normal to be so scared?

Postby jenn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:03 am

Jenny, (hugs) I can relate to how you are feeling with your NICU experience. I have high anxiety too. I remember feeling the same way as you describe. That being said, I found that taking some long bubble baths and finding small rewarding tasks (like sending out thank you notes) helped me pass those long hours.
Though from what you describe, Lily is doing AMAZING! Kudos to you!! She leaps and bounds over where my jaidyn was at that point. I really think that Lily will be home and in your arms and loving care in no time flat.
Sending all my best!! Jenn

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 08:50 am

Jenny, I think it is pretty normal to worry while the little one is in the NICU. Clover was 35 weeks and overall very healthy, just eating issues and temp issues, and I was extremely stressed and worried while she was there. Parker was in for a month, forget about it, I was a mess, and he was very healthy just little. Hospitals are no fun, and when you get updates from the staff, they sometimes gloss over the good and tell you the not as good, because that is their focus. Lilly sounds like she is doing really well. Make sure to take care of you, also, the back and forth to hospital and home can really wear you down.

mikeys mom

Postby mikeys mom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 08:36 am

I think all your feelings are totally right being a nicu mom currently. As a mom to an almost 30 weeker also I have to tell you it sounds like she is doing awesome! However, it is still scary to have to be in this situation. Good luck! I will be praying for you and your family!

dolphinjen

Is it normal to be so scared?

Postby dolphinjen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 01:31 am

Hi all,

My daughter is doing well in the NICU, that is what they tell me. She is no longer on any kind of oxygen other than just breathing room air. She is up to 12 cc's per feeding (gavage). They DC'd the bili light b/c her labs were low enough that they said she doesn't need it.

So why am I so terrified that I'm going to get a call telling me the worst? Is it my natural propensity to worry, I have serious anxiety issues. Or is it normal to worry this much when you have a little one in the NICU? She was a 30 weeker. Their survival rates are fairly high, are they not?

I'm just wondering if I'm going nuts. It's so hard to have her there and me be here at home. It feels so empty. Right now I want to get in the car and drive to see her, but I'm still not supposed to drive.

Today they put her to my breast for non-nutritive sucking, it was so wonderful. She didn't really suck, she just had her mouth on my nipple, and fell asleep. I love her so much already, this is so hard, I feel like I'm being a total baby about the whole thing.

Return to “Parents of Preemies”