Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Disorganized Preemie

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Disorganized Preemie

Postby mom2hannah » Thu May 20, 2004 04:31 pm

by mom2hannah (4 Posts), Thu May 20, 2004 04:31 pm

My daughter Hannah was born at 27 weeks on September 12, 2003 weighing 1 pound 8 ounces. Overall, she has done incredibly well but struggles with what her pediatrician explains as her inability to organize stimuli. In situations with noise or lots of people she seems to become overwhelmed. She cries (and it's a make your ears bleed kind of a cry), turns bright red, clenches her little fists and sweats profusely. It takes quite a bit to calm her down. Has anyone else experienced this? At what age did it go away? Is there anything that I can do to help her? I guess the most obvious answer is to avoid situations that trigger this response but that doesn't seem realistic to me. At some point, she will have to be in noisy situations - like at daycare. Thank you for any insight and advice you can provide. All the best, Jane.
mom2hannah

Re : Disorganized Preemie

Postby meg » Thu May 20, 2004 04:36 pm

by meg (1384 Posts), Thu May 20, 2004 04:36 pm

Does she get any OT therapy? Usualy they work on sensory activities to help them with sensory integration and desensitize them to things. If she has a severe case she may be disanosed with Sensory Integration Disorder. If she hasnt been evaluated by an OT, that might be my first place to start.
I am a school psychologist by the way and work with children with all sorts of disorders and delays, so I do know a bit about what I am talking about even though I didnt have a little preeemie.
Good luck

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27 weeks (March 8th) weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Now over 4 pounds and coming home!
meg

Postby abell » Thu May 20, 2004 09:22 pm

by abell (161 Posts), Thu May 20, 2004 09:22 pm

Jane,

My daughter did that up until probably like 8 months- noises would scare her half to death- and she would scream and cry it was like her hearing was super sensitive. She did grow out of it-
I hope yours does.
Good luck-

Amanda-
Mommy to Madison- born 05/24/02 34 weeks gestation due to severe PE. 3 lbs. 7 oz. 16 inches.

Pregnant Again! Baby Girl- EDD 08/21/04 Put on bed rest at 22 weeks. Initial stages of PE
abell

Postby deerhart » Fri May 21, 2004 08:19 am

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Fri May 21, 2004 08:19 am

Hello and welcome to the board.

Many children (even non preemies) exhibit many of these same things in large situations. My oldest son has trouble with large group situations in that it makes him more excitable and overwhelemed. He does much much better in smaller situations.

For some children OT therapy does help, others just need time and maturity to learn to be better able to control themselves. For my son, this has meant searching out smaller daycare settings, in fact he is in a private home to reduce the number of kids he has to interact with, and a smaller preschool setting. As he has gotten older he is better capable of expressing himself in a positive manner and to handle larger situations like holidays.
You might look into reading the Out of Sync Child which is a book that talks about children with SI issues.

GL
Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby kim » Fri May 21, 2004 09:12 pm

by kim (555 Posts), Fri May 21, 2004 09:12 pm

My daughter Ainsley (born at 36 weeks) would get overwhelmed sooooo easily and scream her head off!! The only thing that would stop it was rocking her and turning the vacuum on. She was colicky and had reflux, but if more than 2 people were around her, or too much was going on, she would have a fit. She outgrew it when she was about 11 months old.. Good luck!

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Postby hannahsmom » Sat May 22, 2004 06:03 am

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Sat May 22, 2004 06:03 am

Hi! My Hannah doesn't like loud noises either. She'll be three in August and is still TERRIFIED of the vacuum cleaner and hair dryer. I don't know why she's so scared! Good luck!

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby mom2hannah » Sat May 22, 2004 05:44 pm

by mom2hannah (4 Posts), Sat May 22, 2004 05:44 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement. It's just so hard to watch my little lamb get so upset. We are on the waiting list for a program that provides OT so hopefully this therapy, smaller group settings and time will help us. Thanks again.
mom2hannah

Return to Parents of Preemies