Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Postby cattmeow » Tue Jul 01, 2003 07:57 am

Hello,
I joined this group last night and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Heather and have had pre-eclampsia 2x's. With my daughter Kaylee, it developed out of nowhere and got severe very quickly. I had her by emergency c-section on 12-1-99 at 27 wks. weighing l lb. 12 oz. and 13 1/4 in. long. She stayed in the hospital for 6 months and 1 day before coming home. She has Short-Gut Syndrome from losing at least half of her intestines to NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis) at 21 days old. She is now 3 1/2 yrs. old and started special ed preschool this past January and is still getting ST 2x's a week. I think the preschool environment has helped her tremendously just from being around more kids...They learn so much from each other (good and bad...lol!) With my son, my doctor had me take a baby aspirin every day, as I guess it's supposed to reduce the risk of getting pre-e. I did end up developing it again, but luckily it was mild and had him at 37 wks. weighing 6 lbs. 2 oz. We did have a scare about a heart murmur, but the doctors think that it's an innocent murmur. He is now 14 months old and growing like a weed! He weighs almost 26 lbs. and is about 30 1/2 in. (my little chubby baby!) Kaylee is still small for her age, partly because of her Short-Gut. She only weighs 28-29 lbs. and is about 36 1/2 in. tall. I don't believe that she was to be very tall even if she was born full term, but her intestinal problems have definitely put a damper on her growth. At around 5 yrs. old we have to get her hormone levels check, since Short-Gut patients supposedly tend to lack in a growth hormone. Hopefully that isn't the case, but will take it in stride if need be. I hope to get to know all of you and hope this finds you well. Thanks for listening.
Heather--Mom to Kaylee (27 wks. severe pre-e...3 1/2 yrs. now)
& Felix Jr. (37 wks. pre-e...14 months now)
cattmeow

Re : New Member

Postby angelical » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:55 am

Welcome to our group! Good luck with your kiddies.

Sharel
(Mom to Aaron, 28 weeker now 14 months)

Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP
angelical

Postby care-o-line » Tue Jul 01, 2003 05:50 pm

Heather,

Nice to meet you! Welcome.

Caroline - 26
dh - 25
dd Sylvia 8/21/02- 32weeks- 3lbs,5oz- pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/s/sylviakim/
care-o-line

Postby tina argueta » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:22 am

Hi, this is my first time ever writing on a message board. My name is Tina and I am the proud mother of a 29 week preemie. I was told I most likely couldn't have children when I was 18. My husband and I tried fertility pills when I was approx. 28. No luck. Then when I was 31 I found out I was pregnant but since I was bleeding a lot I would most likely miscarry. I was 6 weeks pregnant. I stayed in bed for the next month until my doctor said I could start a semi normal life again. At 4 mo. pregnant I developed the beginning of pre-eclampsia. At 5 mo. pregnant I was hospitalized and they thought they would have to take the baby then. Thanks to God, they didn't. I gave myself heparin shots in my belly twice a day until I was hospitalized at the beginning of January, 6 mo. pregnant. At 29 weeks and 4 days, my baby's umbilical cord got a blood clot that was preventing her from getting anything from me. She was 2 lbs and 2 oz, 14" long. Thanks to God, no major problems and is now a sassy 20 mo. old. Her name is Alexis Carmelita, spoiled, LOL and my pride and joy.

I pray for all of your children to have a great life!
tina argueta

Postby angelical » Sat Oct 04, 2003 01:21 pm

Hi, Tina!

Welcome to our group! (albeit we are all here under less than idea circumstances! [:o)] ) Congrats on the healthy of your little one!

WELCOME!
Sharel [8D]

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker

Our miracle boy is doing great!!
angelical

Postby momathelete » Sun Oct 05, 2003 03:25 am

Welcome Tina!

I love to hear how great your baby is doing. She sounds wonderful!!

Michelle
mom to Cole Thomas -former 28.5 weeker (3-5-99, 3 lbs)due to HELLP and Madelaine Grace "Lainey" -former 29.5 (10-11-01, 3lbs 4oz)weeker due to Pre-E and had PIH with Elisabeth Rose (Ella) -37 weeker,born June 30th 2003 weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and beautiful.
momathelete

Postby katie-n-noahs-mom » Thu Oct 09, 2003 01:33 pm

Hello! I'm a new member as well. I have 2 children that were born premature due to pre-eclampsia. My daughter is 9 and was born at 28 weeks at 1 lb 11 1/2 oz. She is in the 4th grade and a VERY smart cookie. [:D] My son is 5 mos. and was born at 31 weeks at 3 lbs 3 oz. We waited 9 years to get pregnant again out of fear of getting severely sick with pre-eclampsia again, but decided we'd let God be in control this time. I'm glad we did. My son is beautiful and very healthy! (except that he lost a kidney due to my severe hypertension and gestational diabetes) I think the fact that I took it upon myself to start an 81 mg baby aspirin the second time around (I did SO much research before getting pregnant with #2) did me wonders and got me as far as I did with my son. It wasn't until I went off of the aspirin due to an upcoming c-section (they didn't want me on a blood thinner) that my condition started to get worse with my pregnancy and they did a c-section. All is well though and my son is now on an apnea monitor. He is approaching his 4th month with no bradycardia or apnea spells and I'm getting VERY nervous to take him off - It's my security blanket! [:I] Again...I have to let God be the one in the driver's seat though....
It's very nice to "meet" you all and hear your stories. It's nice to know that there are others that have experienced VERY similar circumstances as myself. Thanks for letting me share. [:)]

Anna 33
Noel 34
Katie 9 - 28 weeks p-e
Noah 5 mos.- 31 weeks p-e
katie-n-noahs-mom

Postby angelical » Thu Oct 09, 2003 03:19 pm

We have definitely all been down these roads... soon enough, you too will be an "old pro" at the preemie thing! Be sure to look through this section for more 'hints for preemie parents'...all the things we WISH we had known...LOL

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker

Our miracle boy is doing great!!
angelical

Postby glenda » Sat Mar 13, 2004 01:55 pm

March 13, 2004
I have been looking desperately for someone or somewhere that possibly could help my granddaughter. My daughter had twins at 24 weeks. Isabel weighed 1 lb. 1/2 oz. and was 10 3/4 inches long, Abigail weighed 1 lb. 4 oz. and was 14 inches long. Isabel has done very well - in fact she was released from the hospital about 5 weeks ago. Abigail is still in the hospital. She has short gut syndrome and had surgery in November on her gut and they put an ostomy bag on her stomach. December 3 they went back in and put another bag on her stomach and removed a good portion of her intestines. She developed a fistula and they had to put a bag on it. The doctors told my daughter that they would reverse the surgery before she left the hospital, but now they have changed their minds. They want her to take Abigail home and change the dressings, bags, she will be on iv's and oxygen. They want her to be bigger and older before they do the surgery. We want to take her somewhere else, but we do not know where an excellent hospital and surgeons are that specialize in this type of problem.

She has been at USA Children's and Women's hospital in Mobile, Alabama for 5 months. She was born on October 10, 2003, the babies were due January 28, 2004.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks
Glenda
glenda

Postby meg » Sun Mar 14, 2004 06:10 pm

Welcome to all of you new members![:D]

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27.5 weeks weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
meg

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies