New member checking in!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

New member checking in!

Postby jmarbut » Sat Jan 24, 2004 01:35 pm

Hi all!

I came across the website after developing post-partum PE with my first pregnancy. After seven days in the hospital I came home to my husband and my healthy, beautiful little girl Avery.

We have another little surprise on the way - due 7/4/04. I was put on 50mg of atenolol at 13wks. I've read a few entries with other members who have taken atenolol with pregnancy - it's comforting to hear your stories, still can't help to be consumed with anxiety this pregnancy. I want so desperately for things to go well - my health was the only concern with the post-partum PE, this is definitely a different ride! So far BP is behaving. I'm working with OB and peri and feel very confident in their care. I just can't seem to be not so consumed with checking BP, etc.

Thanks for all your stories - it's been a source of strength along the way! :)

jmarbut

Re : New member checking in!

Postby annegarrett » Sat Jan 24, 2004 02:47 pm

Welcome! I know I was on atenolol with my last (and most safe) pregnancy but I do know the "apparent" atenolol bias is in part because we are based in Washington and one of the leading peris here prescribes it regularly. It is not as uniformly used and there are some concerns about its use but not enough studies have been published for the PF to take an official stand. Just my two cents. Someone said we had an atenolol bias but I think we just have a larger group coming from our local docs so that is why it appears that way. If we were in another state, the bias would be Vit C or calcium depending on the doctors. The PF though supports no one type of treatment.

Glad to have you along for the ride. Love the name Avery and fyi--also a post-partum PE person. So much for the myth that it resolves at childbirth. hah.

Take care,

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby amandab » Sat Jan 24, 2004 03:38 pm

Jen,

Welcome! Congrats on Avery! I love that name. [:)] And congrats on the new little one on the way! I can't wait to read all your updates. I am due 6/11/04. Seems that June and July are very popular due dates for our group this year.

I'm always curious about the specifics of others' stories... How many weeks were you when you delivered Avery? Did you have PE at all before delivery or just post-partum? And what was your BP at 13 weeks when you started the atenolol?

I can definitely empathize with your fears during this pg. I am pretty obsessed with checking my BP. It has been 140/90 a couple of times, but it always comes back down so I'm not on meds yet. Sometimes I wonder if I should be, and I wonder how dangerous the BP spikes are. Our baby doesn't seem to be showing any signs at all of IUGR, though. How is your baby measuring, especially after starting the atenolol?

Amanda (28)
Hubby (28)
~i~ Aidan Timothy - 4/14/03, pre-e and abruption
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Postby paljane8 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 05:20 pm

Hey jmarbut,

It's good to have you here. Congrats and I hope this preg goes well. How far apart does that make these 2?

Amanda,

It's good to hear from you. Here's to both of you having low stress pregs! When is your next appt?

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby jmarbut » Sat Jan 24, 2004 06:19 pm

The little peanuts will be 18 mos. apart - ahhh! :) Needless to say, this one took us by surprise.

Pregnancy with Avery was relatively "normal." I went on bedrest at 30 weeks for preterm labor, nothing associated with PE. Bp's were fine during pregnancy and delivery. I developed symptoms right after delivery but was too in awe of the little one to pay attention of how I was feeling. Looking back, classic signs: gained 25 lbs. after delivery, severe edema, hyperreflexia, etc. Calls to the Dr. said swelling was normal due to IV's in delivery. Finally, concerned family members "forced" me to the doctor where I immediately was sent to ER and then seven more days in the hospital some of which in critical condition.

I was a young(ger) :) healthy first-time mom with no previous history of high BP (normal was 90/60). I've since discovered probable chronic htn unleashed by pregnancy. I went on atenolol with this pregnancy after a series of PE tests done by my peri. BP wasn't too bad but cardiac output and resting pulse were off the charts (a sign that PE would most likely arise). I feel much better now and have another visit in a few weeks with my peri (I travel over 200 miles to see him). Definitely worth the peace of mind. I should mention I also have an OB in town :)

Amanda, I'll definitely be thinking of you during your pregnancy. Keep me updated on your progress.

jmarbut

Postby sherry fisher » Sun Jan 25, 2004 03:58 am

Your story sounds similar to mine! I called and called my OB after I delivered. I had horrid headaches, major swelling and all the while was told it was 'normal' and to give my body a couple weeks to return to 'normal'. I was short of begging for an appt just to make sure. They did not give me one, so DH took me to the ER with a BP of 222/169 and protein of 4. I never knew 'sick' until that night. Oh yes, and might I say SCARED TO DEATH!

Now in the same boat your floatin' in. My lil' suprise and my youngest one will only be 20 months apart. I am now 27 weeks and on BP meds through this one, started at 8 weeks!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Postby sweetiesuzy » Mon Jan 26, 2004 02:01 pm

Congrats and welcome! My two little ones will also be 18 months apart! We will have to lean on each other for support! I hope the meds are working for you and please keep us posted.

Glad you are here!
Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Return to Pregnant Again?