New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Spreading Awareness Nationwide!!!

This forum is the place to brainstorm creative approaches to fundraising and raising awareness. For more information, visit http://www.preeclampsia.org/make-a-diff ... undraising or contact Director of Community Relations Laney Poye at volunteers@preeclampsia.org.

Spreading Awareness Nationwide!!!

Postby momma1408 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 02:57 pm

So I was watching the Tyra show today and it gave me an idea. There was a commercial about if you want to be on the Tyra show or have an idea for the show to contact them. Well I'm not sure if anyone else is a fan of Tyra Banks or watches her show but I think it would be an amazing idea if we could all get together and get Tyra to do an awareness show about pregnancy complications and how the need to raise awareness is very important. Tyra does a lot of shows about raising awareness and helping a lot of people. I think this would be great for the foundation, the health of pregnant women, and the health of babies to be born in the future. It would be so cool if we could get such a positive famous figure to show the world that this is a serious subject and more people need to know about this. If anyone else has any ideas or anything about how we can all get together to get our voices heard please feel free to e-mail me about this at anytime. I will be checking my e-mail frequently. I also think that we should try contacting more shows about getting this subject out there and getting more people aware of these serious problems that can occur in any women in any pregnancy regardless of how healthy they are or what precautions they take. I am really passionate about getting this started so if you are interested or have any ideas just e-mail me at momma1408@aol.com. Thanks for you support and ideas!!!

God Bless
momma1408

Re : Spreading Awareness Nationwide!!!

Postby kara » Fri Jan 09, 2009 03:11 pm

Hi Holly and others,
I encourage you to contact our Executive Director, Eleni Tzigas, at Eleni.Tzigas@preeclampsia.org with your ideas, or our Director of Operations who also organizes our volunteer needs, Renee, at renee.molstad@preeclampsia.org. We appreciate your willingness to raise awareness. The PF has its toes in alot of places, research, awareness, fundraising, government, etc, etc. There is always a lot going on behind the scenes.

An undertaking of this enormity on behalf of the Preeclampsia Foundation needs to be discussed with our ED and possibly approved by our Board of Directors. That goes for fundraising activities as well, to protect our not-for-profit status (and other legal issues), and to be sure that the Foundations image is preserved properly.

I do know that similar shows and other news outlets have been contacted in the past. Please do email Eleni or Renee about your ideas and perhaps you can get something rolling.

Another great way to increase awareness and fundraise (so the PF can keep moving its mission forward) is to consider hosting an Awareness Walk in your local area. The more States (and Countries) that we have hosting this type of event, the more likely we are to be able to get National attention, from sponsors for funding, as well as attention from Government officials and thus awareness and funding.

Thanks!!
Kara
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby Dawn D » Fri Jan 09, 2009 05:43 pm

I want to express my appreciation for your devotion to spreading word about these disorders, but I also must reinforce Kara's solid reply.

There actually have been "campaigns" in the past for reaching out to celebs and talk show hosts. Without knowledge of the history behind those, PF could be seriously misrepresented, even if that is not the intent.

We are fortunate to have professional leaders (Eleni) who know the most beneficial ways for working with media and TV personalities, etc.

We value all suggestions and initiatives for raising funds and awareness, but any time efforts are made on behalf of the Preeclampsia Foundation, some approval is needed.

NOTE: You might be excited to read in the new PF newsletter edition about the movie, (expected to have a national and international release) that will accurately highlight preeclampsia in a high profile way. See Home Page.

Dawn D

Postby momma1408 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:39 am

Well I emailed both people about how to get things started and still haven't heard anything back. If anyone knows how I could get a response or something it would be greatly appreciated. This is something I really wanna work on. I try to tell everyone I come across about PE and HELLP and what women who have these terrible diseases go through and I just feel more people need to be educated about this because that is the best way to help everyone is education and ways to get early treatment and detection. Please I am really passionate about this and would love to just find ways to spread the word.
momma1408

Postby eleni » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:13 am

Hi Holly,
Your email got to me eventually (my name was misspelled) so apologies for not appearing more responsive. But I did want to let you know that your ideas and energy are appreciated. We're going through a transition as I have just started as Executive Director and am also training our new Director of Operations. We'll do our best to respond to specific ideas, but in the meantime, know that we have several awareness programs and projects already in the works and it would be great if you and others reading this post could feed into those programs. If you haven't seen the most recent newsletter, take a look (it's on our home page) and also feel free to contact brochurecampaign@preeclampsia.org for a packet to get you started on that program. Don't underestimate the awareness impact of hosting a walk in your area either; we'd like to have as many states represented as possible so that we have a stronger leg to stand on as we seek national recognition for May as Preeclampsia Awareness Month.

Thanks again!

Eleni
eleni
Site Admin

Postby kara » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Holly,

If you're interested in starting a Awareness Walk in your area, send me an email, and I can help you get started. We have walks that are raising anywhere from a few hundred dollars all the way up to $20,000. (for a one day event). That money goes into Research Grants and other programs to spread awareness as well.

You can email me at: Kara.Boeldt@preeclampsia.org
kara
Forum Moderator

Return to Raising Awareness and Fundraising--Idea Exchange