Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Update and Medication

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Re : Update and Medication

Postby suzanne » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:52 am

Hi, all, here's the latest update! Yesterday my BP at home was really running higher (highest was 140/104) so I called my dr---they saw me today and I am going to start aldomet tonight (250MG twice a day). My BP at the drs. office this time was 160/100.

I am worried but hopeful---reading the boards here I know aldomet is an older drug and some others seem to be more effective, but I am sort of glad to be starting SOMETHING---hope it does help. The dr. said my BP was labile (I think that is the term) because it does vary a good deal from time to time. It makes me wonder if something that will lower it all the time might make it too low sometimes. The nurse said I could probably tell the times when it was high, and she is right, although I didn't believe myself, but I usually can predict before taking it at home which times it will be high. Do others have that feeling? It's sort of a dizzy feeling but not really, more just an odd feeling.

Hope all are having a good day!

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)
suzanne

Postby catherine » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:01 am

Hi Suzanne, I'm glad that your doctor was so responsive. Aldomet has the longest track record for use in pregnant women. If it works for you then great. If it doesn't control your bp well enough then I'd imagine that your OB will be willing to try something else. I haven't any experience of the sensation of elevated bp though I know that lots of others have posted that they do sense when it goes up. I do sort of know the sensation of when it drops. It sure makes me dizzy. Having that happen won't do you much harm, provided you sit down rather than pass out or fall down [xx(]. My guess, and I am no expert, is better a few dizzy spells that than prolonged bp elevations.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)Preeclampsia & HELLP
Chloe (7/2/03)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/f/finngoosensprout
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby akemt » Fri Jan 30, 2004 01:39 pm

Suzanne,

I could normally tell too. And, I also don't really know how to explain it! lol And odd feeling is about the best answer. Sometimes it felt like being tired without actually being tired, I think...though that kind of happens alot in pregnancy and is also hard to describe!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby iansmom » Fri Jan 30, 2004 05:15 pm

Suzanne, our stories sound similar -- have you heard that one before! I have been on 500mg Aldomet for two years (since last bout with pree). It worked fine until I got pregnant again. So, between weeks 6 and 10 we ended up doubling my dosage. That resulted in more consistent readings, but still too high. So, at week 11 I was put on Nifedipine 90 mg. it is a class C, but for me the ridiculously high BP was more of a risk than the drug. I have had few problems. I got migraines when my BP first went down. Your body gets used to the high ones. Good luck.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
#2 EDD July 15, 2004
iansmom

Postby suzanne » Sat Jan 31, 2004 06:04 am

It's so comforting to hear your stories that are similar to mine! You can just feel so isolated sometimes. All my friends loved being pregnant, and just can't understand why I am not more "upbeat" and excited. I try to explain I'm VERY upbeat and excited about the baby, just not the pregnancy really!

I was wrong about the dose of Aldomet---it's actually 500MG twice a day, not 250MG. My BP this morning was 117/85, so lower. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Something I was wondering---how often do all of you take your BP at home? I was given conflicting advice at the drs. One time I was told just once a day, other times to take it a lot. I am tending to take it about 4 times a day, more if I feel like it might be high. I don't want to stress myself out by taking it too much, but I feel like once a day isn't enough.

Also, those of you with older kids, how do you explain to them about the pregnancy issues? My sons are very concerned. They ask me often if the baby is okay, if I am okay, etc. They are a little confused between blood pressure and blood sugar (as my husband is a diabetic and checks his blood sugar a lot) but they know that something is up and seem to worry a lot. Guess they get that from me...! I try to be calm and matter of fact about it. But wonder if anyone has a strategy for helping kids understand?

Thanks again to all! Have a great low BP day!

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)
suzanne

Postby wpratley » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:44 am

Hi Suzanne-

I was put on aldomet at 20 weeks and they increased my dose until about 28 weeks to a dose of 3X500mg, twice daily. I was hospitalized at 28 weeks and they started giving me labetalol. They eventually weaned me off the aldomet and at the end I was on labetalol 100mg X3, twice daily. That seemed to do the trick for me. I was able to get to 33 weeks. The drugs had no effect on the baby! He's doing great and reaching all his milestones right on par. I wish you lots of luck and hope it goes smooth for you!

Wendy
Ryan - 33 weeks - severe p/e
wpratley

Previous

Return to Pregnant Again?