Calling All Mom's of Micro Preemies

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Calling All Mom's of Micro Preemies

Postby lynn » Fri Feb 20, 2004 05:46 am

quote:
Originally posted by Maxs Mom

I hate to be exclusive, but I would really like to get to know some of you out there with micro preemies. I had a 25 weeker on 1/20/03 due to severe PE. He was IUGR weighing 1lb 3ozs. He had what I feel was a typical micro preemie NICU stay with 12 blood transfusions, 3 staph infections, intubated for 10 weeks (maybe a little long), CLD, endocriditis (not common at all), pulmunary stenosis (probaly not that common), jaundice, Stage 3 ROP (now resolved, yeah!) the list goes on.

Max is coming up on his first birthday and I feel we have challenges that not all other preemies have, but probably what a lot of other micro-preemies have. He is still small, his motor skills are delayed (just hitting 6 month milestones), and he HATES his bottle (ok with pureed foods though). On the positive side, he is health, his pulmonary stenosis has improved, he loves his naps and sleeping (always has) and he is an extremly good natured happy baby (all of the NICU nurses told us micro-preemies are very tempremental, so we brought him home and waited for him to change, but he never did [:D])

I would love to hear some of your stories and especially some of your challenges and how you managed through them.
Thanks!

Kara
Mom to Max, 25 weeker, 1/20/03

lynn

Postby mom2hannah » Thu Feb 26, 2004 02:53 pm

Hi,

I just joined this forum and this is my first post. When I think back to last September, I shudder. Both my daughter and I are lucky to be alive. My daughter, Hannah, was delivered by section on September 12/03 due to my severe PE. She was 27 gestational weeks and weighed 1 pound 7 ounces at birth. She spent 2 months in a Level 3 nursery an hour away from our home and 1 month in our local hospital, which is a Level 2 nursery. Miraculously, Hannah has been healthy and for most of her NICU stay was only on a feeding and growing program.

Now, at 2 months CA, she is 9 pounds 16 ounces and behaves like a typical preemie (from what I have read). She is very easily overstimulated so we have to be careful to read her signals. I don't want to say she is tempermental but she does have her days. She is a bit behind developmentally for her CA but everyday we work on exercises we learned in physio. However, she is beautiful, the love of our lives and every time she laughs my heart feels like it might explode.

I look forward to meeting other preemie moms and hearing your stories.

All the best,

Jane
mom2hannah

Postby angelical » Thu Feb 26, 2004 06:23 pm

Hi Jane and welcome to our forum. I hope you get all of the information and friendship you want from the rest of us that have been through it too.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies