Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Relationships between Preemies and owning Cats

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Relationships between Preemies and owning Cats

Postby sarab » Thu May 20, 2004 11:26 am

Too weird...we also had 2 cats while I was pregnant. We got them when we got married, and we just loved them! We ended up giving them away just before Maggie came home from the hospital, at the NICU Dr's suggestion. We discussed it a lot before finally deicing to do it. I had a hard time with it, but was "ok" because it was something we had to do for the health of our child, or so we thought. Well, at Maggie's very first visit to the ped (she had been home for 2 days), he said it would be fine if we had cats with her, in fact he had read several studies suggesting that children who were exposed to pets before 2 years old were less likely to have pet allergies later in life. It would be fine so long as we were careful and made sure to watch them when they were in the room with Maggie, etc. We were thrilled, and immediately called the family that we had given our kitties to. They reluctantly informed us that they had ran away! [V] We were so sad!

I am still trying to convince DH to get some more, but he isn't as excited about it as I am...

Sara, 23
Local Coordinator, Utah

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Postby caitlynsmama » Thu May 20, 2004 12:30 am

We have two cats, and two dogs. DH took over the kitty litter job when I was pregnant. Caitlyn loves them now. I have not heard the connection between the cats and the preemies before.

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes
caitlynsmama

Postby tahoe4 » Thu May 20, 2004 01:20 pm

0 cats, 1 dog, 1 preemie. Not sure about the correlation between kitties and preemies.

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature
Prego again! - EDD 6/18/04, but c-section date will be 6/4/04 at 38 weeks
tahoe4

Postby natan » Thu May 20, 2004 02:58 pm

This is interesting! I will pass on your responses to the other moms who had preemies at my moms group. I have only owned these cats for four years and am very attached to them. DH has taken over kitty litter job for rest of pregnancy.

I have hear about young children building stronger immune system to allergies to animals. But I haven't seen studies done on this subject.
Thanks for the info,
Deborah
natan

Postby arj » Thu May 20, 2004 03:06 pm

Here is a good article about pets and allergies. I sent this to my sister-in-law who wouldn't get a dog for fear that she would have a baby and he/she would be allergic to it.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/parenting/08/27/kid.pet.allergies/index.html

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks
arj

Postby deerhart » Thu May 20, 2004 03:16 pm

2 dogs no cats as I am allergic to them
Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby meg » Thu May 20, 2004 05:33 pm

I had 1 cat during my pre-e/preemie pregnancy and no cats during my non pre-e/preemie pregnancy! Weird huh? Now we have a cat again with my 3rd, lets hope the trend doesnt continue ;)

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27 weeks (March 8th) weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Now over 4 pounds and coming home!
meg

Postby momathelete » Mon May 24, 2004 07:57 pm

We had two cats when I was initially pregnant. I read an article somewhere that said that you can get the parasite and it will stay in your system, so I have never changed the kitty litter until I was done with the birthing babies. I don't know of any correlation. Interesting though...

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) 5 yrs old
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 37 wkr) 8 mns
momathelete

Postby denise » Tue May 25, 2004 07:30 am

We have one cat in our house, actually it's DH's. I can't stand the thing.[:D] He changed the litter and does all the cat stuff, so I didn't woryy about getting that toxoplasma-thingy. Interesting question though!

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/PIH
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby pugmommy7 » Wed May 26, 2004 04:21 pm

We have two cats and two dogs- all short haired. (and all shed;)

Bella LOVES animals and has no allergies. I have read that being around animals diminishes the chances for babies to develop(to cat/dog hair/dander)allergies.
We have the same # this time, and by some miracle I am 36 weeks!

hope this helps.

btw, dh does the litter duties while I am preg.(although I am most likely immune to toxoplasmosis after all these years- if my cat even carries it)

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03,born 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16 inches. Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,DD 6/24/04-could be here anytime now.(GD, and PIH, no pre-e yet!)
pugmommy7

PreviousNext

Return to Parents of Preemies