Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Mother to a 33 week preemie, and pregnant again.

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Mother to a 33 week preemie, and pregnant again.

Postby jacksmom_erin » Wed Feb 25, 2004 01:32 pm

by jacksmom_erin (19 Posts), Wed Feb 25, 2004 01:32 pm

Hi,
I too hated being ton magnesium sulfate. When I had the loading dose I felt sooo hot and my chest just hurt, then I could see double. It was scary. I'm not sure what caused me to do strange things, but I think it was the mag. I tiptoed to the bathroom two does post emerg c section because I didn't want to bother the nurses, I was certain the drs and nurses were outside my door discussing me constantly, my IV pole talked to me and I was afrais to sleep, afraid I would die. Then there were the breathing problems! I was in ICU for 4 days and a reg unit for 4. I had mag for 5 for those days. We are contemplating another pregnancy. I admire you and wish you well.
Erin
jacksmom_erin

Postby pugmommy7 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 06:51 pm

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Sun Feb 29, 2004 06:51 pm

Erin, 5 days! God bless you!
Some of the experiences are funny..NOW, but then they were terrifying.
I thought my oxygen port was scented and I could choose the flavor. I also instructed my husband and mother how to systematically feed me Jello.
We laugh now, but at the time it was no joke.
My poor nurses got a ton of false alarms from me as I was convinced the call button was scratch and sniff sticker.(My mother and I later concluded all of the smell induced stuff, was from the flowers that were sent to my room from friends and family.)

In the end it was all worth it. and I will do it again if I have to, maybe this time it will be different if I have to take it, because I will know what to expect. Also i will discuss thing with my Dr. while I am stone, cold, sober, before I feel out of control. I think that would help to put my mind at ease.
(Apparently, I am a lightweight b/c, one of the nurses confided to me that in another hospital<where she had worked in the past>I would have been routinely administered double the dose that I had recieved.

Thank God for small miracles, ...heh heh, I got a lot of small miracles that week:)

Mama to Bella, born 34 weeks at 3lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby raetay » Mon Mar 01, 2004 03:09 pm

by raetay (56 Posts), Mon Mar 01, 2004 03:09 pm

At my house, we refer to Magnesium as "Hellmesium". I had it for six weeks. I didn't have any hallucinogenic or psychodelic responses, but I was very, very ill. My eyes couldn't focus together, so reading was out of the question (making for a VERY long hospital stay). I felt like I was going to vomit constantly and could hardly walk to be bathroom by myself because I kept falling over. Honestly, the thought of that awful stuff again (in combination with IV changes every 3 days) is what terrifies me most! Well, ok, that and the hospital stay and putting my poor children through the * of our last experience...
Rachel
raetay

Postby pugmommy7 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 07:51 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Tue Mar 02, 2004 07:51 am

6 weeks!
I didn't know how lucky I was with 3 days.
I know what you mean about the not being able to walk thing.
I wasn't allowed to, I was a baby about a foley( I had one improperly inserted and they only got one chance w/ me, sooo), so I used a bedpan,& that got old REALLY quick.
ugggh.
I am so sorry that you had to endure that and the looong stay.

I have been doing *so far so good* on this pregnancy,24 weeks now.

I was in for Norwalk the other day and it kind of scared me, like a flashback.
I fainted(on the potty,-nice;), due to dehydration, and when I heard the panic in my nurse's voice, I was like,"here we go again".
Thankfully I was just fine.

My b/p was great, so that gave me a good feeling.
As you know how serious those b/p monitors are in the hosp,(break my arm off why dontcha?;)

Keeping my fingers crossed:)

Mama to Bella, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH,(borderline HELLP).
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies