MintMommy...thought I'd give you your own topic

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

MintMommy...thought I'd give you your own topic

Postby akemt » Fri Mar 12, 2004 03:55 pm

Originally posted by MintMommy

Hello. I have posted few messages so I guess that it makes me practically new here. . I am pregnant again, too and I do sympathise with all of you who are pregnant again. It is a feeling of mixed emotions and now all I am doing is just waiting to see the outcome of this pregnancy.

I am 27 years old and I have a 5 month old baby boy who was born at
35 1/2 weeks and I am 3 months pregnant with my second one. I really dont know what to think other than I hope that everything comes out to be much better than the first one.

I am not sure when PE symptoms begin (I beleive they begin around week 20), but I feel that mine began even before I found out I was pregnant (I was already about 4 weeks pregnant). One morning I woke up and noticed that I had difficulty putting on my wedding ring . . . and that is how it all began. I noticed my tummy never grew as much, but the rest of my body kept on growing because of EDEMA.

At about week 32 I went to a regular visit to the doctor and my BP was 140s/90s. I was told to have bed rest. Of course, I did not pay much attention to it, given that I did not know much about the condition. So, I decided to "take it easy" when in reality I was supposed to have COMPLETE bed rest.

About a week later, my urine showed high levels of protein and was told to do a 24 hr. urine. The results came out a bit higher and was told to do another one and the results came out 3 times higher. This all happen around week 34. Then on a regular visit when I went to turn in another 24 hr. urine (about a week and half later), my BP was 160s/90s and was told that I had to be admitted. I felt so guilty after all was done. My baby had to stay in NICU because of jaundice, but he was so small that I felt that I had done something wrong!

I wonder if I would have been able to make it to full term if I would have had complete bed rest whenever I was told to do so???

Does anyone know if bedrest would have helped?

Thank you for letting me vent a little. I just wanted to share a bit of my story.

Arminda
Fredo born 10/25/03 at 35 1/2 weeks - PE
Pregnant again EDD - 9/19/04

akemt

Re : MintMommy...thought I'd give you your own topic

Postby akemt » Fri Mar 12, 2004 04:01 pm

Arminda,

I think that the benefits of bedrest are unproven. Mostly it is given in a "it may help and won't hurt" kind of attitude. I do beleive that bedrest worked for me (as far as the Oligo was concerned) on the other hand.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over what might have happened. You have a healthy baby and need to concentrate on what needs to be done now...the things you can change.

Congratlutations!

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Re : MintMommy...thought I'd give you your own topic

Postby mintmommy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 05:23 pm

Thank you Catherine!

You are right! I guess we have a better chance of "preventing" something worst, somehow, I dont really know how, though, but with prayer and FAITH things work out much better . . .

Our previous experiences allow us to take some precautions, make some changes, or something like that, since unfortunately we dont know what can help in preventing such pregnancy health conditions, but atleast we can try by changing our lifestyle a bit. Maybe that will help, who knows . . . unfortunately . . . no one really knows. . .

Because of our experiences with this horrible conditions, I get a feeling that everything will turn out better for you and me and for any other woman who has gone through the same situation and is pregnant again [:D]

I have FAITH, even though I worry every now and then (its only normal), I still keep my FAITH . . .

Good Luck and CONGRATULATIONS to you, too and GOD Bless!

Arminda
Fredo born 10/25/03 at 35 1/2 weeks - PE
Pregnant again EDD - 9/19/04
mintmommy

Return to Pregnant Again?