Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Another new and confused Canadian

Residents of Canada

Re : Another new and confused Canadian

Postby matts_mom » Tue Mar 14, 2006 05:41 pm

hi adri...i just read over this thread. i absolutely know what it's like to find a dr in cowtown. i actually gave up after phoning about 30 dr's and drove 1/2 hour out of calgary to airdrie where i got a dr right away. i moved to bc in 2003 and had the same problems. the only way i could get a dr in prince george was to have someone talk to her dr about seeing me. i'm sure the only reason i ever got to see the dr was because i was pregnant. i know that lots of women here in northern bc go through their whole pregnancy with only emergency dr appointments. it is phenomenal how difficult it is to get a dr here. hope you and kayla are doing fine...looking for an update!
matts_mom

Postby alessels » Sun Mar 19, 2006 04:40 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for your concern for me over these last weeks.
I am so glad that I found this site.

As promised here are the details:

I was perfectly fine on Wednesday, March 8th, blood pressure was fine, I was just tired of being home on bed rest.
I woke up on Thursday at 6:00 because I had these cramps that would not go away.
As always I went to check my blood pressure and it was 145/100, I waited 15 minutes and took it again, it was 140/103.
I got worried, but I thought since I had a Doctor's appointment anyway, I wasn't going to stress over it.
Meanwhile one of my friends called me and said that she was going to come and kidnap me and take me out for lunch, since I have been house jailed I was all excited.
My husband kept asking me if I had called the nurse and I said no, I was going to have lunch with my friend and then she was going to drive me to the Doctor's office afterwards.
He of course called the nurse and the Doctor and my lunch plans got changed, I was to immediately go to have some lab work done and then to the Doctor's office, I must say that I was furious at my husband.

He drove me to the Lab, then to the Doctor's office, when we arrived at the Doctors' my blood pressure was 160/119, then 5 minutes late it was 164/125.
My heart was pounding, Doctor came in and said that she wanted to check my cervix, I was already 3 cm dialectal, she said that I was going to be induced and that even if I wasn't she suspected that I was going to go into labor any day now.
She told us that I was to go to Labor and delivery immediately and I was going to be induced.

We of course got there and as Calgary has a Baby Boom right now, there were no beds.
Meanwhile my blood pressure was still high, I was asking the nurse to please hurry up because I was afraid that I would end up with an emergency C-section if my blood pressure didn't go down, finally the Doctor came and spoke to me and gave me some medication that brought my blood pressure down.
I then went for a walk with my husband downstairs while we were waiting on a bed.
I was still feeling very crampy, it was actually very unconfortable.

Finally at 1:00 AM they took me to the LD room.
They put me in the monitor and the contractions were 4-5 minutes apart, the nurse said: "I thought you were supposed to be induced, but you are in labor".
They broke my water and the contractions got worse, I asked for an epidural and the anaesthesiologist came.
The epidural didn't work and I got a sore back from it, I was furious.
The nurse came to check on me at 3:40 and said that I was fully dilated and it was time to start pushing.
Kayla was born at 4:33 AM and thank Goodness there was no problems with her, her weight was 7 Lbs 8 OZ, so the PE didn't effect her at all.

I guess she was ready to come out since I was going into labor and the fact that she was a good size and there were no complications at all.
I am glad that none of my symptoms effected her since I have heard that women with PE have smaller Babies.

I hope that for those reading this that think they might have PE, don't ignore your symptoms.
This disease can strike so fast and progress to worse in minutes.

Take Care,

Adri
alessels

Postby missgamecock » Sun Mar 19, 2006 05:57 pm

So glad that you guys are ok and your dh called your dr! Congratulations
missgamecock

Postby fiona » Mon Mar 20, 2006 02:07 am

Many congratulations Adri. And thank goodness you went in when you did! Enjoy that lovely little girl.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby thw75 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 07:35 am

WOW! That is great your DH called the nurse, hope you gave him a big kiss afterwards :). Congrats on your wonderful little person. And good for you for listening to your body. Thank you for the update! Best of luck w/ your new sweetheart!
thw75

Postby skay8 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:13 am

So glad to hear that all went well. It can be so frustrating when people do NOT listen to your complaints/symptoms etc. I am expecting my 3rd child any day and I have been battling PE again. With my first 6 yrs ago I ended up being on complete BR and maximum dosage of antihypertensives, I delivered a healthy baby girl, 2nd time at 36wks when the BP started to rise we just induced and I again luckily had a healthy big boy. This time around things started at 33 wks again I am now on antihypertensives, baby is ok, but I just feel awful. I go to labs, US and Dr's every other day - today I will ask to be induced. My BP is still all over - one minute normal the next 160/95 even with meds (that also make you feel dreadful). I hope more people become proactive in their care because this is a life threatening illness (it is not just a pregnancy problem). I actually had an argument with a resident in L&D 2 wks ago - because my headaches and blurred vision were worsening and I was so nauseated - she kept going back to "have you been exposed to the flu or anyone sick?" I finally gave up and said listen I have been an ICU nurse for 10 yrs - I have dealt with this before - if you can't understand my symptoms please get your attending now! Sure enough my BP over time remained elevated higher than it had been, my platelets dropped slightly and I had more protein in my urine, my meds were increased and here I am today. But once again it is like I am becoming tolerant of each dosage increase so I hope the Dr will understand when I say enough is enough baby and mom are healthy today let's get this overwith before one of us or both become unwell ( I professionally work by the moto "Be proactive not reactive" ). Happy pregnancies and motherhood to all have a great day!
skay8

Previous

Return to Canada