Remember the Mothers

Remember the Mothers

Postby annegarrett » Sun May 09, 2004 10:38 pm

The week of March 15th Corina Pineda, 19 and pregnant for the first time, began having cramps. She was hospitalized for three days and then sent home. The following Monday she had her weekly doctor's appointment. She wasn't feeling well. After taking her BP, the staff realized how ill Cori was and life-flighted her to Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital. Her mother, Allison, in Brazil, caught the next plane to Miami. Waking from an emergency C-section, Cori found her mother there. They were able to talk a bit and pray. Cori seemed stable so Allison decided to leave for a minute to check on the baby girl in the NICU who was only 2.5 lbs. When she returned to ICU she found the doctors working on Cori who was turning yellow from liver failure. The dedicated team of nurses and doctors spent the next four hours trying to save Cori. They revived her four times. Allison was there when Cori, her beautiful daughter who should have been celebrating her baby's birth, died in her arms.

Sadly, Cori is not the only mother we have lost. I have personally spoken with six families in the past six months who have lost a wife/daughter/sister/mother to this terrible disease and one family where the woman may be permanently disabled due to her stroke. Please remember these mothers. They are Marianna, Katja, Karen, Corina, and Rosalind. This is only a partial list... Countless more have lost their babies...even more now sit vigil in the neonatal intensive care unit praying daily that their baby will just get through another day. Since writing this email and forwarding it around--I have learned of four more women--who have recently died of preeclampsia.

All of these women were mothers. Many left babies and all left partners and family behind. All left a wake of loss, confusion and devastation. All of these families have said to me "Why didn't we know?" I have no good answer for them. Please support our work so that we can do whatever we can--whatever is necessary to prevent such deaths from happening. This Mother's Day and every day--remember these mothers and all mothers.

Please send your tax-deductible donation to the Preeclampsia Foundation or donate online at https://fp7.adhost.com/preeclampsia/donate.cfm

Please know that the PF is now officially a volunteer run-only organization and every dollar goes to keeping our work alive, getting the word out there and making a difference.

Please ALSO know--if you are pregnant and concerned about possibly being sick--that these women were healthy, beautiful, fit, well-loved women in the prime of their lives--do not take any risk with your care--if in doubt--please go in and get it checked out.

Take care,

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Return to News from PF Headquarters