Delayed motor skills-Need to talk

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
tahoe4

Re : Delayed motor skills-Need to talk

Postby tahoe4 » Thu May 27, 2004 07:35 am

My DD is currently 17 months old and was born at 34 weeks. At her 15 month pediatrician appt, it was recommended we get her tested for speech delays and developmental delays. Very rarely will insurance pay for this kind of thing. But depending on where you live, there should be a FREE program through your country (ours is called Help Me Grow, Early Intervention). An RN who specializes in delays will come to your house and evaluate your child and decide if she needs therapy. I'm not sure if 9 months may be too young for the program, but maybe not. In any case, we just started speech therapy with our daughter, but her occupational therapy hasn't started yet.

I don't think you even need to get a referral at all for the country program. If they come to your house and decide your daughter doesn't need therapy, then great. If she does you'll need to find a therapist and the county should fund everything for you.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be glad to share anything else i know. While we were concerned about our daughter needing therapy at first, now we're so glad that she can get all the therapy she needs free of charge to get her caught up. It's like a big play session to her, but she learns at the same time.

Stephanie

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature
Prego again! - EDD 6/18/04, but c-section date will be 6/4/04 at 38 weeks

caitlynsmama

Delayed motor skills-Need to talk

Postby caitlynsmama » Thu May 27, 2004 07:18 am

Hi all,

Caitlyn went through her nine month developmental follow-up clinic on tuesday at the hospital. She scored well on her cognitive skills, but was lower than I hoped on the motor skills. She is not crawling yet, and does sit up well for me but would not for the PT. I was always under the impression that all babies like all individuals do things differently. Heck, I rolled around the room on the back of my head and stood up and walked a week before my birthday. I work with Caitlyn every night since I have to work and as often other times as I can. We cannot seem to get a PT since my husbands health insurance is bad about paying. I guess I just needed a little boost of confidence from other preemie moms. I love Caitlyn with everything I have and am so proud of how far she has come that I was in tears tuesday. I think partly out of frustration, and partly out of not wanting to hear that she is not doing as she needs to.

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes

Return to “Parents of Preemies”