Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Magnesium Sulfate Survivors

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Magnesium Sulfate Survivors

Postby beckty » Wed Mar 24, 2004 01:26 pm

by beckty (168 Posts), Wed Mar 24, 2004 01:26 pm

~~~ I am so glad to know that my anxiety and inability to breathe (which, I was told at the time were psycosematic (sp?) have also occurred with others and I was not losing my mind! ~~~

I HATE when they tell you things like that! Psychosematic indeed!!! Then why do so many others have that problem? Makes it sound like a mind over matter issue. "oh honey, it's all in your head so just get over it" Yeah, Ok!

The nurse that gave me my first dose of Mag right after a csection didn't understand when I asked for Anti-Nausea med's. I was in so much pain from csection, and I read somewhere that mag causes nausea and I couldn't bear the idea of heaving w/that fresh incision on my abdomen. She rolled her eyes and said "Mag doesn't cause nausea, and the shot will hurt worse but you you really want it..." Yeah, doll, I want it!

I ended up vomiting in spite of two anti-nausea med's.

"Magnesium sulfate doesn't cause nausea" my butt!

Becky

Mom to Tyler (9) and William (in Jesus' arms at 27 weeks. 01/18/04 - Severe placental abruption at 15 weeks followed by severe PE and HELLP at 27 weeks. Delivery by emergency c-section)
beckty

Postby pugmommy7 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 07:50 pm

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Fri Mar 26, 2004 07:50 pm

I am so lucky that I didn't vomit on the stuff.
I cannot imagine the pain that must have caused.(post c/s especially!)
I am very lucky to have narrowly escaped a section.
After 24 hours of cytatec(sp?), my cervix finally got the point.

I am totally serious about demanding some kind of sedative if I ever need it again! at least then I can sleep through it[8D]

Love,
Jennifer

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH,& HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby myboyz801 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 08:50 am

by myboyz801 (3 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 08:50 am

How funny !!! I felt as though on the first mega dose to get mine under control for my pp pe my eyes were going to burst into flames then I felt like I was drunk with the most unbelievable hangover at the same time. Then when they hung the second bag it was like someone was physically beating me from head to tow. I was only in the Hospital for 24 hours so I got to sleep off the next day in the comfort of my own home.

MyBoyz801

Chandler 8/1/00 40 wks
Dylan 5/19/03 36 wks
myboyz801

Postby julie f » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:12 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:12 am

Count me in for a T-shirt...! I was on mag for 9 days [xx(] My side effects were pretty mild as far as they go I guess. I threw up once (about 10 hours after I was put on it) but other than that, it was just that I was horribly hot - like fire through my veins. Someone here once described it as feeling like you were drunk but trying to act sober - that's definitely how I'd characterize my thought process while on mag... I have since told my husband that they should put all the husbands/partners on a mag drip for a couple hours, just so they understand...[}:)]

Ironically though, when they finally took me off, I just wanted to go back on... When the mag haze lifted, it was the first time I really "felt" (emotionally) what was going on. I had been scared/concerned/worried from the moment I entered the hospital but the sheer terror didn't come until after I delivered, was taken off the mag (48 hours later) and realized that I had a 26 week, 1 pound 9 ounce beautiful little boy who might not make it.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby pugmommy7 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 07:04 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Thu Apr 01, 2004 07:04 am

While I was waiting for the doc yesterday, I was reading Child magazine.
There was this little snippet in there that I will have to paraphrase:
"In many very premature births(30 weeks or sooner), research has found that the use of a drug called magnesium sulfate may be helpful."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
DUH!, like if you are having a less than 30 weeker, you will be like
"Gee Dr. I was reading in a magazine about this drug called mag...."
Like all * wouldn't already be breaking loose!!!!!
OY!

Love, Jennifer

P.S. Julie, I hate that you had to endure what you have.[V]
My heart and prayers are with you.[:X]

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH,& HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby njj20404 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:39 am

by njj20404 (7 Posts), Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:39 am

Hi!! I was only on mag for 2 days due to sudden severe pre-eclampsia but I definitely know what you mean about that hazy feeling. I felt like I was going in and out and that no matter what I did I could not stay alert for very long. Also, when they first started the drip, I thought there was a four alarm fire going on inside my body. I felt like I was about to combust. I had an emergency c-section and then they kept me on it for another 24 hours due to my blood pressure being so severe. I was so glad to be off it and able to get out of bed and see my son.

Kim

Mommy to Nicholas James
born 2/4/04 at 31 weeks (2 lbs 1 oz) due to severe pre-e and placental abruption
njj20404

Postby emmybree » Wed Apr 14, 2004 04:14 pm

by emmybree (30 Posts), Wed Apr 14, 2004 04:14 pm

Uggh yeah that stuff was horrible! I had it with Breanna, with Emilie I had a c-section so I didnt get any then. I had the mag. with Pitcion and it was HORRIBLE! LOL although I must admit that most of Breannas birth is a blur, I dont even remember dh being there..[:p] I told him he wasnt beside me but he was, it was the drugs and being soo sick talking

Mommy to:

Breanna (1-25-02)(born at 36weeks..preclampsia)
Emilie (2-19-03)(born at 31wks..due to toxcemia/preclamspia)
emmybree

Postby sheri g » Thu Apr 22, 2004 05:39 am

by sheri g (3 Posts), Thu Apr 22, 2004 05:39 am

[:)] Hi. My name is Sheri. I love the idea of the t-shirt for mag survivors. I was on mag for 10 days. I was on it for 7 days before I delivered my daughter and 3 days after. That feeling of being hot (and you can't cool off no matter how many fans you have blowing on you and no matter how many times someone wipes you down with cold water and ice), the feeling that your mind and body are not working together and the feeling of being "sick". I hated having a cathater and the iv pole (it made it very hard to go and see my daughter in the NICU since someone had to take me in a wheelchair and I had to take everything with me). I also hated the feeling that when I was with her, that I was not "fully aware" (for a lack of description) of our time together. Mag is nasty stuff. I know it probably saved my life though (I guess that can qualify as a true love hate relationship, hehehe). I am glad though because my daughter (who was born at 32 weeks) is doing very well in the hospital and should be home with me in about 3-4 more weeks).

I am glad that there is an organization like this one here. Thanks for listening.

Sheri
sheri g

Postby pugmommy7 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 06:31 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Thu Apr 22, 2004 06:31 am

Welcome Sheri!
I am sorry you had to endure all of that.
It sounds pretty fresh in your mind too.
How is your baby doing?
I hope you are having a positive NICU experience.
Please keep us posted.
Love, Jennifer

Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby meljoi » Thu Apr 22, 2004 07:19 am

by meljoi (510 Posts), Thu Apr 22, 2004 07:19 am

Man....I don't know how I missed piping up on this one.

I was on Mag. for 4 days while my induction was going on. What a double edged sword! I lost all motor skills. Couldn't focus, speak coherently, lift my arms...nothing. DH was scared to death and openly talked about it with the Dr.-I on the other hand lay there like a lump wanting to share how horrified I was-but couldn't say a damn thing. They did give me a short break from it (about an hour)- the hour came and went and I told DH that they hadn't put the drip back on and I WASN'T going to remind them either! Well, they finally caught wind that the drip was off and when they went to turn it back on I lost it! Uncontrollable crying-pleading, begging for a c-sec (thinking they wouldn't have to turn it back on)-regardless, when they ran my blood I couldn't clot, so a c-sec was out and the drip was back on full blast again. I don't remember being on Mag. after the birth, although I think I was but I think the motor skill thing got better after the birth (if that makes sense).
Sign me up for a shirt......
How about "Proud member of MSS"
(Mag. Sulfate Sisterhood) ha ha......[:D]

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
2nd babe due 11/26/04
meljoi

PreviousNext

Return to Parents of Preemies