Post Reply FAQ Members Login

NICU Restrictions

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : NICU Restrictions

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 09:03 am

by pugmommy7 (311 Posts), Mon Mar 08, 2004 09:03 am

Sayonib,
I am so sorry you had to go through all of that.
Congrats that everyone is feeling better now!
Take care!!!
Love, Jennifer

Mama to Bella,1/02/03, born 33 and 5/7 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH,& HELLP.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby aimeejane » Wed Mar 10, 2004 08:07 pm

by aimeejane (589 Posts), Wed Mar 10, 2004 08:07 pm

Denise, that one nurse sounds like a piece of work! I'm glad the rest of your NICU stay wasn't so bad, though. It sounds like they've relaxed the rules in the past few years. A friend of mine who delivered her son at Northside about 8 years ago said it was soooo restrictive. Good for them for letting up some! [8D]

Aimee
Georgia State Coordinator

Ds Nicky - 3/24/00 (28 wks - eclampsia)
Ds Kalen - 7/10/03 (36 weeks - preeclampsia)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/k/kalentyler/ (Pswd: ilovemommy)
aimeejane

Postby worriedhubby20 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 06:10 pm

by worriedhubby20 (77 Posts), Wed Apr 07, 2004 06:10 pm

My son Parker is currently residing in a Nicu, and for the most part, I think he is in good hands. His primary nurse is FANTASTIC! She tells us when things aren't as good as they should be and when he is doing better than expected. She truely cares for him. The problem is that she can't work 24/7. The other nurses have their own personalities and ways of doing things and just when you think you have adapted to their way, a new set of nurses come on. Our nursing staff works 3 12 hr shifts and of for 3. The Doctors are part of a group, they rotate once a month, 2 at a time. I think I would be much more at ease if I knew more about what was going on, what to expect, and what to ask. Ms. Garrett gave me a site that should help me with these issues.
Only parents and grandparents are able to see Parker. This is good in a way, but I really wish they would allow an exception. My wife's sister is VERY close to her and I and it hurts that she won't be able to see him until he is released. We have to scrub and wear gowns. He is in a Level 2 Nicu. I am relying on info that I get from all of the wonderful people on this site in order to help us through this and look back with fond memories of the people that cared for our little blessing while he was there.

Rob Lawrence
father of Parker, 3-29-04, 30 weeks, 1lb. 14oz.
worriedhubby20

Postby hannahsmom » Wed Apr 07, 2004 08:21 pm

by hannahsmom (1141 Posts), Wed Apr 07, 2004 08:21 pm

Hi, Rob! Your NICU sounds strict! Just parents and grandparents? Our NICU's rule was that one of the baby's parents had to be with the guest(s) during the visit. All of my family members and friends and co-workers came up at some time or another - we were in there almost 4 months. When Hannah was first born, though, they did say just family because she was so critical. My best friend was there with my parents in the waiting room during the delivery, and when Hannah was born my parents said she was my sister so she could go in with them and my husband to see the baby - so my friend saw my baby before I did! lol! I was in recovery for three days I think before I could see her. I would just explain to your primary nurse the close connection your wife has with her sister and how it will boost your wife's spirits to have her sister there. They should take your wife's well-being into consideration, because she still has some recovery ahead of her. Good luck![:)]

Suzanne
Mommy to Hannah Rose
26 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e
hannahsmom

Postby emmybree » Thu Apr 08, 2004 06:06 am

by emmybree (30 Posts), Thu Apr 08, 2004 06:06 am

the NICU had some rescritcions but not alot, There were only 2 in at a time, you had to wash up and wear the robes..there was a list that you made out of 4 other people besides the parents that could go in there. I think that was it...you had to buzz the door bell before you could go in and they had a camera to see who you were, they were awesome and got to know who was visting and what baby they were going to see. Oh and we did have set hours ...well you could go there any time except between the hours of 6:30-7am/pm, because they did shift changes and reports then

Mommy to:

Breanna (1-25-02)
Emilie (2-19-03)
emmybree

Postby worriedhubby20 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 03:41 pm

by worriedhubby20 (77 Posts), Thu Apr 08, 2004 03:41 pm

You are so right! It is a very strict NICU. We have tried everything, but they say it is for Parker's own good, as well as those that share the level 2 room with him. I don't really mind, but I wish they would make the exception for her sister. Their reasoning for saying no, "if others found out, then it would open the door to everyone". I guess I can understand their stance. I did let all of our close family have a chance to see him just after he was born. My brain must not have been funtioning, because the nurse told me that only 2 at a time could see him, and only parents and grandparents are allowed. I somehow did not hear the whole parents and grandparents thing, and proceeded to shuttle them in 2 at a time. When she returned from another delivery, I was chastised for it. I sincerely apologized, but was being completely honest about the last part of the instructions not getting to my brain. Kind of funny, but I still feel awkward when she is working.
quote:
Originally posted by hannahsmom

Hi, Rob! Your NICU sounds strict! Just parents and grandparents? Our NICU's rule was that one of the baby's parents had to be with the guest(s) during the visit. All of my family members and friends and co-workers came up at some time or another - we were in there almost 4 months. When Hannah was first born, though, they did say just family because she was so critical. My best friend was there with my parents in the waiting room during the delivery, and when Hannah was born my parents said she was my sister so she could go in with them and my husband to see the baby - so my friend saw my baby before I did! lol! I was in recovery for three days I think before I could see her. I would just explain to your primary nurse the close connection your wife has with her sister and how it will boost your wife's spirits to have her sister there. They should take your wife's well-being into consideration, because she still has some recovery ahead of her. Good luck![:)]

Suzanne
Mommy to Hannah Rose
26 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e

worriedhubby20

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies