Mother to a 33 week preemie, and pregnant again.

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Mother to a 33 week preemie, and pregnant again.

Postby pugmommy7 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 08:05 am

Hi,
Wow what a wonderful resource. (I am new here.)
Short version...My daughter Isabella Sofia was born 13 months ago, 6 weeks early, at 3pounds,6 oz.,and 16 inches.
She was small for her gestational age, and I had gestational daibetes as well as pre-e.
She was a fiesty baby and developed beautifully, and came home to us after 3 weeks nicu. THANK GOD!

Anyhow, I am currently pregnant with her sister Helena Scarlet, due June 24,2004.
So far I have had an easy pregnancy, totally different from my previous pregnancy with Bella.
Minimal morning sickness,(the first time I was throwing up 3x a day at least.)And some minor low back pain, and that has been it.
My Dr. and midwives have told me that there is no reason that this condition will occur again, and that it is common in first time pregnancies.
They have also said that they will not treat me as high risk until they see a reason.(which relived me.)

My husaband and I are taking one day at a time. But honestly, we are both getting nervous as I approach my 3rd trimester.

I dream of having a normal labor free of magnesium sulfate!!!

pugmommy7

Re : Mother to a 33 week preemie, and pregnant again.

Postby tahoe 4 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 08:55 am

Your situation seems very similar to mine. I also have a 13 (almost 14) month old who was born 6 weeks early due to eclampsia. I'm also pregnant again and I'm due June 18, although they're expecting me to deliver just as early as the last one, so we're thinking some time in the beginning of May. So far I've not had any symptoms, but last time I also had no symptoms this early. I'm 23 weeks today and I go for another Ultrasound (level II) next Friday to ensure the baby is growing at a normal growth rate. My baby was 4 lbs 3 ounces when she was born, but she was supposed to be a really big baby per the ultrasounds that were done earlier in my pregnancy. So her growth definitely slowed down towards the end.

What's also funny is that we're probably going to name our next one Bella if it's a girl! I love that name!

I'm very surprised that your dr's aren't treating you as high risk especially since you had diabetes and pre-e last time. Have you had a visit with a perinatologist yet? Since your last baby's growth was a bit behind they should be monitoring your current pregnancy via frequent ultrasounds to ensure the baby is growing at a normal rate. Trust me when I say it will give you so much comfort knowing they're treating you as high risk and monitoring the growth of your baby at least once a month. It's a pain to go to so many dr's appts, but it's well worth it.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated!
tahoe 4

Postby angelical » Fri Feb 20, 2004 09:30 am

Good luck to both of you! I hope you have safe and happy pregnancies this time around!

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby deerhart » Fri Feb 20, 2004 09:37 am

I have to agree, you are more likely to develop PE and/or GD again this pregnancy then you are to have a child with Downs, spina bifida etc and your doctor still recommended the triple test (AFP) I bet.

My doctor also told me it was unlikely that I would develop PE again (as we only have like a 10-20% chance of reoccurance, just about the same chance of getting it the first time) and that she would monitor me closely for the pregnancy, but nothing more then that until something started to happen.

I did end up having problems again so it can (and does) happen after your first pregnancy.

The good thing is that you have been through it before and you know what feels right and what doesn't. You are your own best advocate.

I just wanted to mention because I thought its somewhat striking to the mind.
quote:
My Dr. and midwives have told me that there is no reason that this condition will occur again, and that it is common in first time pregnancies

If there is no reason for the condition to occur again, there was also no reason for it to occur in the first place. If you got it the first time, thats enough reason to suspect it may happen again (not saying it will)

GL

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby pugmommy7 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 07:45 pm

Thanks you all for your input.
It has really giving me a lot to think about.
I was recommended the AFP test, but declined.
(Termination is not an option for us...)

I did have a regular 18 week ultrasound and all seemed well.
I will ask about additional US's on my next visit.

They are requesting I come in for weekly visits after the 28th week for b/p tests, and check in's.

I have also been testing my blood glucose since about 10 weeks gestation. If I maintain the GD diet my levels are stable.

No one has mentioned anything about a Perinatologist.
This is another issue that I will raise at my next visit.

Being well informed is very important to me. Thanks again for your support.
~J
pugmommy7

Postby tafkap » Sun Feb 22, 2004 08:42 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Pugmommy7

I dream of having a normal labor free of magnesium sulfate!!!

[:D] I'm with you!

I agree- I think you'll have a better idea of what to look for this time (IF it does happen again). That's a positive! [:)]

Congratulations & best wishes!

Jessica & Corey~ baby #1
Katherine Grace born
10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes PIH/ Pre-E www.coreyandjess.info
tafkap

Postby annegarrett » Mon Feb 23, 2004 08:28 am

I agree with Erin--the #1 risk factor for getting preeclampsia is a "history of preeclampsia". Our medical board strongly advises that all women entering a pregnancy after having had preeclampsia previously be treated as "high risk". It is good that everything looks stable and chances are strong that you will be just fine--but we recommend you plan to get preeclampsia and then be surprised (pleasantly) when you don't--rather than plan not to--and then be surprised (unpleasantly) when you do.

Also--as a suggestion to all pregnant women out there--the AFP test and amnio can be valuable tools to determine if you are at risk for P/E. Our doctors say that an abnormal AFP is a strong indicator that you are on your way to P/E. For that reason (aside from genetic testing) we encourage women to get an AFP. Since an amnio carries some risk (1:250) of miscarriage--we recommend you, your family and your health care provider make the right decision for you--based on your individual needs.

Take care,

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 09:03 am

I am DEFINATLEY going to bring AFP testing/aminos up with the Dr. on my next visit,Mar.3.

I also agree with what Erin said about it happening again. Who knew it would happen the first time!

I wonder if they aren't trying to keep me calm by the way they are putting things.

I was very anxious throughout the Mag. ordeal last time.
I suffered EXTREME anxiety attacks as a side effect.
Finally they gave me Vesteril (sp?) to help me to relax and get some sleep.(I was just on the verge of sleep and felt that I couldn't breathe. It was explained to me that the mag. made my muscles, including the lungs relax, but my brain wasn't relaxed.)

I was crying and gasping constantly. I had a nurse assigned to me exclusively,and she was doing all that she could to help relax me, including reading to me. She applied cool compresses to my head.
She was a every special person.

During my first visit this pregnancy, I brought that right up. I told them that if I required mag. I really needed something to feel calm. While I was standing there of sound mind etc.

Can I just tell you again how grateful I am to this group?
~jennifer

Mama to Bella, born 34 weeks at 3lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Postby deerhart » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:26 am

I was on the mag the first time, and avoided it the second time around. But, I also had the luxery of asking for an induction right when the symptomns started getting bad the second time around versus letting it go for 13 weeks of bedrest the first time.

Its always good to remember that even if PE happens again, its more likely to occur later and milder, thus a higher chance of avoiding mag.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby pugmommy7 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 08:34 pm

deerheart,
I am literally sighing a huge breath of relief.
esp. about the mag.
My midwife,(whom I loved and luckily was there with the Dr. to assist once stuff got hairy.),said that she felt like some kind of concentration camp Dr. when she had to administer it.

Anyhow, I am keeping a positive attitude.

I wonder if mag has such a profound effect on most women?
I once had a co-worker who was administered it, and she said it was "like being drunk." Well I don't know what she was drinkin', but I had a more pyscedelic experience BY FAR.

I also had complications with a hemmorhage 4 hours after delivery that put me in the or for an emergency DNC. My b/p dropped to like 80/20 and I was in shock and bleeding out.

Luckily I was stablized and back in my room an hour later.

I was told it was a complication due to the interaction of mag. and pit.
When my Dr. told me in that recovery room that she would have to put me back on the mag for another 12 hours I just cried.

The leftover Adivan (sp?)in my system made me feel like a drugged out Frankenstein. I couldn't even turn my head or take a drink of water w/ out my DEAR husband and Mom helping.
thank God for them.

Thanks again for the support and info.
~Jennifer

Mama to Bella, born 34 weeks at 3lbs,6oz.Pre-E and PIH.
Babygirl #2,EDD 6/24/04
pugmommy7

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies