postpartum high bp, makes me concerned

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!
kim

Re : postpartum high bp, makes me concerned

Postby kim » Thu Jul 15, 2004 06:09 am

Hello Bryce,

Congratulations on the birth of your son!! Your wife sounds a lot like me postpartum. I was healthy and active, until I got pg. I gained quite a bit of weight, for no apparent reason, within 6 months of having my daughter. My blood pressure also never returned to normal. At about 1 year postpartum, I switched meds (to Benicar), and my body seemed to start shedding the weight.

What bp med is she on? My hypertension doctor thought that the beta-blocker I was on (Labetalol) was contributing to the weight gain, as it slows everything down in the body.

That said, I think it just takes some of us longer to recover from the illness. It is so hard to be patient with our bodies, but that may be all she can do for now.

Take care,

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/

satoripooh

postpartum high bp, makes me concerned

Postby satoripooh » Thu Jul 15, 2004 05:13 am

hey everyone! this is my first post, so i appologize if i ask any repeat questions that may have been answered in previous forums.

my wife developed PE severely at 28-29 weeks, but she was showin signs of it much before that, and our son was delivered by c-section only 3 days after she was admited to the hospital. she was topping out at 200+/110. very scary! anyway, all is fine and our son was born at 2lbs 4oz, very healthy, with no complications and has been home now for 2 months. he weighed in over 10lbs last friday! i've made him a website if anyone would like to look. [url]http://www.geocities.com/satoripooh/index.html[/url]

SO, my concern is, it's been 5 months since bryce was born, and she is still battling the high bp and weight issue. what really sucks about it is that she is a very active person, and this bp has her grounded till she can get it under control. she actually played college v-ball during her first tri-mester. her father is in the medical feild and keeps tellin her it's her weight that's makin her bp high, but that doesn't make sense. and the docs have NO idea. even on her meds she hovering at a steady 140's over mid 80's.

anyway, i guess i'm just lookin for some leads to maybe tell the doc so maybe they can start makin "educated" guesses instead of just stabs in the dark. it's so frustrating to watch her still going through this. and i forgot to mention, she gets frequent headaches, we assume from the high bp....?

thanks everyone! i've been skimming topics for a few days now and you all seem to be great people!

bryce 3.5.04

Return to “Dads”