New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Need info for Premmie on Vent

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Need info for Premmie on Vent

Postby worriedhubby20 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 04:58 pm

My wife just delivered our son on the 29th. She was just starting her 30th week, and the Dr. said that her placenta had quit providing the nutrients that the baby needed to survive. The next day the took him. He weighed in at 1lb. 14oz. (SMALL) The 1st 2 days he was making it on his own, but then began to tire and was put on a ventilator. He was on it for 2 days, and then off of it for 3 before having to be put back on it this a.m. It has my wife and I very stressed out. I would sure appreciate hearing from anybody that can give me some info or guidance.
worriedhubby20

Re : Need info for Premmie on Vent

Postby julie f » Mon Apr 05, 2004 05:24 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your son!!!!!

I wish you the best and will pray for a short and uncomplicated NICU stay!

How is your wife doing?

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby angelical » Mon Apr 05, 2004 05:46 pm

I understand how frustrating this is for you. What they always told us was that the stay in the NICU is a series of steps forward and then steps back. The babies just need time, love, and prayers to keep growing. Good luck. I wish you and your family all the best.

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02)
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby worriedhubby20 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 05:50 pm

The wife is doing great physically, but is definitely under severe emotional stress as the baby has good days and bad days. I really need to quit saying "baby" and start calling him by his name, Parker. We both appreciate the prayers and thoughts. This whole experience has been emotionally and physically draining for the both of us. Maybe he will make the turn and get bigger and stronger quickly. Until then, I'm in this thing with him.

Thanks,
Rob
quote:
Originally posted by Pelote77

Congratulations on the birth of your son!!!!!

I wish you the best and will pray for a short and uncomplicated NICU stay!

How is your wife doing?

Julie (27)

worriedhubby20

Postby julie f » Mon Apr 05, 2004 05:59 pm

Rob,

I can certainly appreciate your wife's emotional stress, it is so hard to be helpless while your baby struggles - something you surely know as well. From a woman's perspective (mine at least), it's very difficult to see your baby struggle knowing that your body just couldn't take care of him anymore. The feelings of guilt over that can be overwhelming, even though there is nothing we can do to prevent it... Has she been able to get online and check out the forums? For me this was the most wonderful place for support and understanding.

Please continue to update us when you can. My prayers are with your family.

-- I LOVE the name Parker by the way!

Julie (27)

julie f

Postby annegarrett » Mon Apr 05, 2004 06:33 pm

There is a great book by William H. Woodwell Jr. about when his wife had preemie twins due to preeclampsia. Here is a link to an interview with the author and where you can also buy the book. FYI: One of the twins does not make it--one does--so you might decide to read it later when Parker is a linebacker and totally healthy. It is a wonderful book though and Bill is a great supporter of the PF.

http://www.prematurity.org/bkcoming.html

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby angelkat » Mon Apr 05, 2004 06:38 pm

Even as I a Nurse, I had a hard time dealing with my daughter in the NICU. At times, I would find myself trying to deal with everyday life and then on the other hand know to much. The NICU is a roller coaster a good day here a bad day there. You need to celebrate the good days and let the bad days roll off your back. Yes, it's hard but as you will see you little baby is a fighter.

My prayers and thoughts for you and your family... I also love the name Parker.....

Hugs
~T

Mommy to
Drew(13)
Ky (11)
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) and little bud (Due 09/11/04)http://www.forevernetwork.com/Archive/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=%2FArchives%2FMountHope&CFID=1089289&CFTOKEN=79068509
angelkat

Postby sandy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 06:51 pm

You and your family are in my prayers!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma
sandy

Postby hannahsmom » Mon Apr 05, 2004 06:52 pm

Dear worried hubby -

My daughter was born at 26 and a half weeks and was breathing on her own at birth, then caught an infection and had to be put on the vent. She was later taken off after the infection went away, but about three weeks later she caught another infection and had to be put on a vent again. It was a nearly four month roller coaster for us. She weighed one pound, one ounce and fell below a pound for a while. People all over the world were praying for her and I think that's what pulled her through. By the way, where in Alabama do you live? My daughter was born at USA Medical Center in Mobile. We used to live in Mobile but had moved to Mississippi when I became pregnant. But when I developed the pre-e I was transferred by ambulance to Mobile for an emergency c-section. Best of luck to you. Our prayers are with you and your family and especially little Parker![:)]

Suzanne
Mommy to Hannah Rose
26 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e
hannahsmom

Postby worriedhubby20 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 08:17 pm

My thanks go out to all of you. I am here at work, supposed to be running our plant, but talking to my wife on the phone reading your postings to her. After breaking down several times, my wife asked what was wrong. I didn't want to let on that I was near tears, but told her that these words that you bring to us mean so much. I just know, I could tell by her voice, that all that I read to her cheered her up. I can't say enough about how much just hearing from all of you means. I know that we will come through this! Parker will get bigger and stronger, and will get to come home to his new room. I will keep you posted on his PROGRESS!!!
worriedhubby20

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies