Pregnancy Update

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Pregnancy Update

Postby ann marie » Wed Jan 07, 2004 01:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

Well I've had a very interesting 48 hours. Yesterday morning I started with a fast heart rate 130-140's from the early am on. I called and was admitted about 10:30 am. They drew blood and monitored the baby and my BP's. My BP was up if I wasn't laying on my side, but not terribly so. That racing pulse was scary and exhausting. Finally at 6 pm they had a cardiologist see me and started me on Atenolol 25 mg. That brought my pulse down to 100's, but it would go back up with any stimulus, position change, etc.

Today I had an echo cardiogram, ultrasound of the baby, placenta, cord, etc, more blood work, etc. My echo shows some mild regurgitation of my mitral and tricuspid valves which they think is due to the BP. The good news is the baby looks great. He is estimated at 2.6 lbs and they feel he looks good. They are not so thrilled with the way I look.

They are going to see me 2x per week twice by the OB and once by the peri for an US. The peri told me she hopes I make it to 32 weeks (I'm 27 weeks now).

So I'm back home now, which I'm thankful for. They started me on Toprol XL 50 twice a day instead of the atenolol. I'm monitoring my BP's, etc. I feel exhausted physically and mentally. I'm glad the baby is doing so well though. Now if my body will just hang in there a few more weeks.

Does anyone have any advice, words of encouragement or have you had something similar happen to you? With PE this stuff sure comes out of the blue. Feeling fine one day and then boom. I'm thankful though I am getting such good care.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ann Marie
PE
Due:4/7/04
On bedrest 5+ weeks
ann marie

Return to Pregnant Again?