Article I Found... (Anne take note)

The Preeclampsia Foundation does not necessarily endorse any research or news found in this forum, we just want to share what is out there. Please use your own discretion to evaluate any information you find here.

Article I Found... (Anne take note)

Postby sweetiesuzy » Mon May 17, 2004 12:40 am

I found this small write up about pre-eclampsia in Pregnancy magazine. I found it at my OB's office and thought it might be of interest.

Scientists Identify Cause of Pre-Eclampsia

"Recent research shows how development of the placenta during pregnancy could cause the potentially life-threatening condition pre-eclampsia in some women. Pre-eclampsia, affecting up to 10 percent of pregnancies each year, starts in the second half of pregnancy. It causes high blood pressure and protein in the urine of the mother, which could lead to fits and even death for the mother and baby. The only "cure" for pre-eclampsia is to give birth to the baby.

A team from the University of Reading in the United Kingdom found that in pregnancies where the blood supply to the placenta is developed improperly (usually around 20 weeks), the placenta starts to produce large quantities of the hormone neurokinin B. Thie hormone seems to be inactive in the fetus. But the researchers discovered it was processed differently in the mother's blood stream.

Neurokinin B causes the mother's blood pressure to rise, which allows more nutrients to reach the fetus. But the mother's elevated blood pressure can threaten her and her baby. The researchers hope their discovery will allow for future methods of early diagnosis for pre-eclampsia, before it threatens the health of a mother and her baby."

This was found in the recent issue on page number 20. I personally do not think it is a well written piece because of the facts stated, but maybe there is something to the hormone they are mentioning?

Anne - Have you heard of this before?

Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ It's a GIRL! Laura Elise edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Return to Announcements and Preeclampsia in the News