Post Reply FAQ Members Login

MTHR

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

MTHR

Postby jacksmom » Fri Dec 19, 2003 09:06 am

by jacksmom (3 Posts), Fri Dec 19, 2003 09:06 am

My son was born at 27 weeks due to preeclampsia. I am pregnant with my second and the doctors recently did a battery of tests on me. Everything came out OK except the test for Methaline Tetra Hydrofolate Reductase. That test said that I was homozygotic for a mutated gene. My doctor is not sure what this means. Does anyone know?
jacksmom

Re : MTHR

Postby ileana » Fri Dec 19, 2003 09:55 am

by ileana (1010 Posts), Fri Dec 19, 2003 09:55 am

Check this link

http://www.factorvleiden.org/ask/mthfr.htm

Aparently, you need to find out your homocysteine levels before they can say if this is a problem or not. You can also do asearch on MTHFR on the web to find out more.

Congrats on your pregnancy! Here's for an long, uneventful pregnancy this time!

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Postby twolfgram » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:06 am

by twolfgram (388 Posts), Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:06 am

I have the same gene mutation. (MTHFR) Not exactly sure what it means, just that I should take a baby aspirin a day when not pg and if (please, please, please) I get pg again I would need to take Heparin shots daily. From the conversations with my perinatologist, it's a clotting disorder, not necessarily the kind that will cause a stroke or anything, but will affect the placenta. I had an abruption with my last pg, which was caused by this defect. I am by no means a dr, obviously, but talk to your OB or a perinatologist. If you search through the HELLP Syndrome Survivor forum, I know there's a post in there on the MTHFR gene. Good Luck!

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - 28 weeks born 10/4/95
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02
twolfgram

Postby taras mom » Fri Dec 19, 2003 07:14 pm

by taras mom (841 Posts), Fri Dec 19, 2003 07:14 pm

If you've been taking your extra folate like a good preggo,[:)] your homocysteine level might be normal despite the mutation. Your doctor might advise you to continue taking extra folate after you deliver.

Edit: Because the mutation is inherited, your parents and siblings might want to have their homocysteine levels measured at their next checkup. Their insurance probably won't pay for the MTHFR test, but it's the homocysteine level that's important anyway.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Return to Ask the Experienced